Author Topic: David Bowie died.  (Read 4562 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: David Bowie died.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:39:46 AM »
 :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
RIP...I liked his music.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:19:48 AM »
All hail Jareth, the Goblin King.

I wasn't at all familiar with his music until I went to college in the early 1980s, and had a floormate who was a HUGE Bowie fan.

Then I saw him in Labyrinth, and got a much better feel for how incredibly talented he was. Labyrinth is still one of my favorite movies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most the peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
That's a shock. I wasn't a huge fan, but my ex was. He had some great songs (Blue Jean, for example).

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
If you like to rock, get the album/cd 'David Live'.

David Bowie at the Tower in Philadelphia in 1974. Earl Slick on lead guitar, David Sanborn on sax.

Absolutely smoking rock and roll. One of my top five albums.

And I'm not that big of fan of Bowie's studio albums, or later work.
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
Then I saw him in Labyrinth, and got a much better feel for how incredibly talented he was. Labyrinth is still one of my favorite movies.

Must have been hard to act with Michael Moschen's head firmly planted between his shoulder blades for the coolest scenes.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »
This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most the peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

Eeeeyup.

:'(

"Major Tom" (Space Oddity) was the only Bowie song I liked (save for some elctronic music he did back in the 70s) but I don't for a second doubt his talent.  69 is too young  to step through that door.
R.I.P. Mr. Bowie.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »
This might of been the "handy" work of The Revenge Society. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 10:41:05 PM »
"Let's Dance" with SRV on guitar FTW
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 11:03:18 PM »
I doubt I could identify a Bowie song.   Another gender confused, drug user dead.  Sorry, I just don't feel a thing for him.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »
I doubt I could identify a Bowie song.   Another gender confused, drug user dead.  Sorry, I just don't feel a thing for him.

yes you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF551z9KlA8&list=PLJ8y7DDcrI_p8LixOD4nVgrr9P6f4n2Lv

modern rock would not be what it is today without that "gender confused drug user" show some *expletive deleted*ing respect.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »

modern rock would not be what it is today without that "gender confused drug user" show some *expletive deleted*ing respect.

Um... No? 

The man doesn't share your tastes,  kindly chill the *expletive deleted*ck out.

Can't say I've got much use for his stuff either,  gods rest his soul.  69 is still a good run for that lifestyle.  Almost matched Lemmy.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:42 AM »

Was he "gender confused"? Didn't seem like it to me.
You're telling me you have never heard Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, Golden Years, or Suffragete City? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »
Or Under Pressure, Let's Dance, China Doll, Fame, Heroes, Changes, or Dancing in the Streets.

Heroes was *expletive deleted*ing anthemic to East Berlin youth in the run up to the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

What a sad, sad, life you've led.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 07:39:38 AM »
Um... No? 

The man doesn't share your tastes,  kindly chill the *expletive deleted*ck out.

Can't say I've got much use for his stuff either,  gods rest his soul.  69 is still a good run for that lifestyle.  Almost matched Lemmy.

Doesn't share my tastes?

Um, no, by his own admission he knows nothing about Bowie or Bowie's music, yet "gender confused drug user"?

I don't say he has to love Bowie. I can outright say there is stuff in Bowie's (insanely prolific) career that I don't care for. However, because I actually know something about the man, I respect him, even when I don't want to listen to certain songs.
His influence on rock and roll and music in general is massive and that's why Bowie should be respected, even if you personally don't like him.

Furthermore, who the hell goes to someone's funeral and mouths off about how much the dead person sucks? Which would be the anolagy here.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
Seriously.  Under Pressure is one of my favorite songs.

He was a huge influence on rock.

RIP.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
There's a vocals isolation going around the internet right now of Freddie Mercury and David Bowie (and some background singers, probably the rest of Queen) doing Under Pressure.

Without the music smoothing things out you get a real feel for just how incredibly powerful and vibrant their voices were.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »

I don't think he was gender confused; as David Bowie was a man, not grammar; and his first language was English (which dispensed with gender in its grammar roughly 1000 years ago).  And as far as I know he has always claimed to be a man.  OTOH, he pretty much a drug-hoovering hedonist for more than half his life, so you got that right.

He did claim to be homosexual for a while and then bisexual and then that that was all bunkum and he had always been a "closeted heterosexual."  I think he was, ah, pumping the bent niche and when that well was dry he broadened his appeal.  Kinda like a male Lady Gaga, but with actual talent.

You may not be able to ID any of his songs as David Bowie songs, but you are likely familiar with several.

I am not sure he was a "great" talent, be he sure was pretty damned good at what he did. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
There's a vocals isolation going around the internet right now of Freddie Mercury and David Bowie (and some background singers, probably the rest of Queen) doing Under Pressure.

Without the music smoothing things out you get a real feel for just how incredibly powerful and vibrant their voices were.

Search Youtube for "isolated vocals" to get more like that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »
Everyone is talking about his music.  No one is talking about the great knives. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
Walton&Johnson played a parody song yesterday called "Gun Control to Major Tom" that was pretty funny.  A few people didn't seem to think the timing was good.  

I have heard a lot of Bowie's songs, but he was never one I bought albums for.  I might have to at least get a best of album as I do like some of them.  

I guess I would ask the fans here:  If I was to go buy a Bowie album, what would be the best one or two to get? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge