Author Topic: 2 Unrepentant About Selling Katrina Gift (3 bdrm, 2bath house)  (Read 4561 times)

Desertdog

• friends
2 Unrepentant About Selling Katrina Gift (3 bdrm, 2bath house)
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:16:42 PM »
2 Unrepentant About Selling Katrina Gift
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/21/D8LHQDNG0.html

By WOODY BAIRD
Associated Press Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn.     

A church that wanted to do something special for Hurricane Katrina victims gave a $75,000 house, free and clear, to a couple who said they were left homeless by the storm. But the couple turned around and sold the place without ever moving in, and went back to New Orleans.
"Take it up with God," an unrepentant Joshua Thompson told a TV reporter after it was learned that he and the woman he identified as his wife had flipped the home for $88,000.

Church members said they feel their generosity was abused by scam artists. They are no longer even sure that the couple were left homeless by Katrina or that they were a couple at all.

"They came in humble like they really needed a new start, and our hearts went out to them," said Jean Phillips, a real estate agent and member of the Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ. "They actually begged for the home."

The church was also shocked by an ungrateful interview the couple gave with WHBQ-TV in Memphis.

"I really don't like this area," said Delores Thompson. "I really didn't, and I didn't know anybody, so that's why I didn't move in and I sold it."

Thompson, reached at a New Orleans phone number by The Associated Press on Tuesday, thanked the church for its generosity but said she saw nothing wrong in selling the three-bedroom, two-bath house.

"Do I have any legal problems? What do you mean? The house was given to me," she said. "I have the paperwork and everything."

She refused further comment and hung up.

The church had decided that it would do something special for one Katrina-displaced family, in addition to its other efforts to help evacuees. The church set up a committee to find the right family and conducted several dozen interviews.

Delores Thompson, who did most of the talking for her family, told the committee that she had lost her job as a nurse and that her husband had lost an import-export business in New Orleans, committee member Joy Covington said.

The committee also heard how the family had lost its home and most of its possessions and how the children, a 14-year-old girl and 16-year- old boy, were eager to get back in school. The family said it wanted to resettle in Memphis.

After the church settled on Thompson, real estate agent Phillips helped her pick out the house she wanted, and it was bought in Thompson's name. She took possession in February and sold it in September. Property transfer records for the resale list her as unmarried; the papers from the original sale list her as married.

"I feel like it was a sham or a ripoff," Covington said.

The church hasn't discussed legal action, but the members are upset because the house could have gone to a more needy family, Covington said.

Thompson claimed she and her family were living in an apartment supplied by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, but did not invite Phillips over during the house search.

"She didn't want me coming over there," Phillips said. "She'd say, `I'll meet you.'"

Covington's husband, Edward, said the family had been listed by FEMA as displaced. But he said the church took Thompson's word for it that their house was destroyed.

griz

• friend
Re: 2 Unrepentant About Selling Katrina Gift (3 bdrm, 2bath house)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:00:52 PM »
Wow. shocked  I think about the people who actually needed the house and would have been happy to get it. sad 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »
Would there be grounds for fraud? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 06:41:22 PM »

I don't think so. Afterall, the house was theirs, given by members of the church. If the intent of the church was to help victims of Katrina by improving their current situation, it seems they did that.

I see nothing illegal about what the "couple" did with the house they were given.

Tacky, most definately.

The sad part is that there was a a pool of about 50 people who these people were chosen from. I would think the proper thing to do, if I wasn't going to live there and move away would be to give the house back to the church.

But a lot of people don't think that way. Many only look at what they can get out of a situation, not how they can help others. I think these two belong to the "takers".

bob

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »
This may follow them for the near future and maybe even longer.  With that amount of money they should not be eligible for FEMA or welfar.  And then there is the IRS.  The income on $88,, (sale price - cost) should put them in the 35-47% tax bracket, unless they buy a house of equal or greater value within 2 years.

SomeKid

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »
The proper term for such people is human garbage. I have said it before and I will say it again, after Katrina, we should have executed a lot of those 'refugees', or simply have left them to die.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:03:46 PM »
What?  The church doesn't just forgive them? 

How unchristian.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 02:20:53 AM »

How unchristian.
Hmmmm. Point taken. Cynical, but accurate. If life was fair, these people would be branded and shunned everywhere.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 03:11:24 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba

How unchristian.
Hmmmm. Point taken. Cynical, but accurate. If life was fair, these people would be branded and shunned everywhere.

Point taken?  What was his point?  I don't get it. 

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:45:11 AM »

It can be argued.  One of the standard Qs in the interview from the selection process was about intent to move into the area.  Theres the video of the woman saying she never liked the area.  Theres also her dubious 'married' nature.  Essentially, the church can sue for the value of the house which would put the question of fraud before a jury.  I don't think any jury would be ok with whats going on and would be willing to take the legal pose of fraud in inducement or even fraud in execution (material lies in the actual contract).

Does anyone else wish the world still had debtor prisons?  There is no way the church is getting all the money back.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 04:14:03 AM »
I loved the line "lost her job as a nurse."

Yeah, right.

My wife is an RN.  I've heard the stories. You can be fired for anything short of murder and have a job at another hospital the next day.

Based on how many calls she gets asking her to please come work extra shifts, I believe it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 05:56:52 AM »

How unchristian.

grin  grin

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »
The church was absolutely stupid for not putting a no-resale restriction on the deed, or at least limited restriction, say, after 5 years of owner occupancy.
I do hope that they file fraud charges quickly, before the money disappears on stuff like plasma TVs and Escalades.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
before the money disappears on stuff like plasma TVs and Escalades.
I'll bet half of it is gone already.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
What part of "free and clear" don't these guys understand?  Don't like it?  Don't give them a house to begin with. 

If you give me a house in Memphis, I'll have it on the market as soon as it looks good to sell.  That's the way things go in the free world.  There's no fraud involved here, just a bunch of naive bluehairs who got exactly what was coming to them. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 09:14:35 AM »

How unchristian.

How ignorant of Christian doctrine.

The offending party must first feel remorse/repent and ask for forgiveness, for forgiveness to be forthcoming.  Somewhere I missed the Katricians' expression of remorse and asking forgiveness of the congregation that they duped.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 09:18:56 AM »
What part of "free and clear" don't these guys understand?  Don't like it?  Don't give them a house to begin with. 

If you give me a house in Memphis, I'll have it on the market as soon as it looks good to sell.  That's the way things go in the free world.  There's no fraud involved here, just a bunch of naive bluehairs who got exactly what was coming to them.

Not everybody lives their lives in a lawyerly manner.  This lawyer-ization of society is a baleful influence and ought to be fought tooth & nail.

FWIW, I would have had some strings attached to the house/contract that precluded such abuse.  Heck, I likely would not have been in favor of such assistance in such magnitude.  Rent for 6-12 months would have been more than generous.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »

It could very well be considered fruad.

If the grounds on recieving the house was clearly stated as for people to live in the area, rebuild their lives, etc.  And they did it with no intention of doing so and flat out lied, thats fruad.

It's the same as applying for welfair when you have a million dollars burried in your back yard, or taking katrina aid when you lived in Omaha and just had a vacation place in the effected area.  If you lie in order to get something with a pretty clear purpose, its fraud.

Then agian IANAL and its my personal opinion.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 05:55:04 PM »

How unchristian.

No, please, I really don't understand the point of this.  Is he ridiculing the Katrina refugees or the church?  Huh?

Volt

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 07:50:52 PM »
I would wait till April 15th of next year and then I would strike:

I would go after her for not paying Federal and State of Tennessee, and any other possible Memphis and county taxes. Plus I would go after her for Welfare, Medicaid, and public housing fraud and any back payments that might be owed.

The woman must file to the IRS, and file a State of Tennessee. tax return showing an income of $75000 and capital gains of $11,000. She might also have some local county and city taxes as well. She will not owe taxes to Louisiana on the out of state income but she will need to show this out of state income and capital gains on her Louisiana income tax forms. The woman must also report this income and capital gains to any Louisiana welfare agency she might be receiving funds from.  In some cases she may need to repay benefits. If she is on Medicaid she will need to let them know of her income and capital gains and again she may owe for benefits received this year. She will need to let any housing assistance agency know of her income and capital gains and this will probably disqualify her from housing assistance. Also she may have committed fraud or owe back rent if she maintained herself in public housing while owning a home and receiving a high income.

Now if she does not properly account for this income and capital gains to the IRS, Tennessee, and Louisiana, plus any and all public assistance agencies that she has received any benefits from this year, then she needs to go to jail.

Her income this year must also be used in determining her qualifications for various welfare, food stamp, Medicaid and housing assistance for this upcoming year.

OK lady you made $75,000 + $11,000 so you get to pay taxes and no welfare and no public housing for you, no food stamps, no free health care, no free lunch for you kids at school, in short you get to be just like me.

My user name is lbmii on the "High Road".

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 08:20:36 PM »
My assumption is that the 'economic opportunities' in the 9th Ward were likely better for his line of work.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 10:31:37 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba on November 23, 2006, 02:03:46 AM

How unchristian.

No, please, I really don't understand the point of this.  Is he ridiculing the Katrina refugees or the church?

The church, for every time I read about church members who say they "Forgive!" a murderer even before the body is cold.  It makes me angry every time I see it.

The offending party must first feel remorse/repent and ask for forgiveness, for forgiveness to be forthcoming.

That's pretty much the Jewish position.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 03:13:39 AM »
So I bet the Amish really pissed off Antibubba when they not only forgave the murder of their daughters, but also set up a fund to take care of the murderer's widow. 

Damn those Christians!   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 08:57:25 AM »
I'll clarify.

The Amish can forgive because it happened to them.   The Amish are like a big family (they're all related, too).  It's no small thing to forgive unconditionally when your child has been killed.  But what is the worth of someone farther away, with no ties to the victim or family, who blithely forgives the killer, then goes on with the rest of their day?

I'll take the Jewish position, thank you.