Author Topic: What an amazing week  (Read 13225 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
What an amazing week
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:16:13 PM »
The last week or so has seen some pretty amazing events, but the reaction to the events is almost as interesting as the events themselves.

We had two young people with a hidden camera film ACORN employees at multiple locations helping them set up a brothel, import young Salvadoran girls, and try to evade taxes. The indignation in the media has been aimed at the two young people who exposed ACORN.

When confronted with the ACORN story, ABC news anchor Charlie Gibson claimed to have not heard of it, despite the fact that it was everywhere on the internet.

President Obama appeared before a joint session of congress and before the American people, lied through his teeth, and claimed that anyone criticizing his health plan was lying. One congressman lost his cool and called the president a liar, which is exactly what Obama is. Rather than explain to the public what Congressman Wilson was referring to, the mainstream media has beat up the congressman and made the issue about "decorum," something that was notably absent in the halls of congress from 2001 through 2008.

Unable to effectively rebut the charge of Obama being a liar, the administration set about to call everyone who objected to his health care plan "racists," including people who voted for him.

Washington saw one of the largest public demonstrations in our history but, according to the media, it didn't happen.

We saw Obama appoint to a high position a man who was clearly a racist, and who believed that the US government conspired to cause the 9/11 attacks. Yet it was the president's critics who were covered with the media's mud when the truth about Jones came to light.

I think even Orwell would be shocked.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:26:33 PM by Monkeyleg »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: What an amazing week
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »
I think even Orwell would be shocked.

Indeed.

Don't forget the San Diego Sheriff's Department deploying the sonic crowd control weapons in preperation for use against town hall protesters. (the town hall protesters, while they can be loud, are generally otherwise well behaved. They don't riot, simply put. The hired union thugs, on the other hand, do). I see that as purely an intimidation maneuver...

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=21055.0

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
I was not prepared for the race-baiting.

I will admit, again, that I was wrong to doubt those who predicted that every criticism of the first black president would be met with cries of "Racism!!11"  I figured they would call racism here and there, when there was the slightest suggestion of something that might possibly have to do with race.  But I was proven wrong early in the campaign, when someone said that "Obama is skinny" was code-language for "He's black!"  There were similar non sequitirs.

But I was simply not prepared for the Saturday Night Live sketch that is being performed in real life, by sitting politicians, media figures, and even a former president of the United States.  And this in response to things that were entirely unrelated to race. 

And yahoos on our side are actually trying to refute this nonsense.  Why?  How? 

I don't know what to do with it, myself.  It's just too comical, too surreal.  I think the next time I go tea-partying, I might bring a sign that says, "Is this sign racist?"  I'd also like a sign that says "Can we have another Black president?  This one's defective."  But that's too long for a sign.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »
What scares me is the way Obama is systematically taking over control of our financial lives.  Think of the most important financial transactions you have made in your life, or expect to make in your lifetime, and see if Obama hasn't grabbed control of them.  Go ahead, list 'em out.

Buying a house or some land...?  Check.  FedGov owns the mortgage business.

Saving for retire or building some personal wealth...?  Check.  Obama has all of the major Wall Street brokerages and investment houses by the short and curlies.  FedGov has Social Security.  Obama's union allies have their tentacles wrapped around most of the nations pension funds.  Politcritters are muttering about taxing or even confiscating IRA accounts and 401(k) accounts.

Expensive medical treatments...?  Check.  Obamacare and government-run health insurance is there to take care of you.

Going to college or sending your kids to college...?  Check.  The House voted today to take over the student loan business.  Student loans will now be issued by the Executive Branch, not your local bank branch.

New Car...?  Check.  Obamamotors will be happy to sell you one.

Have I missed anything?

Every Farking Major Financial Transaction In Your Lifetime!

I was scared by the prospect of an Obama presidency.  I'm even more scared now that I see it playing out in excruciating detail.  And I'm flabbergasted that so few other people see these problems, or seem to care about them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:09:54 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
And I'm flabbergasted that so few other people see these problems, or seem to care about them.

We only care about his race.  That's why.  Did you know I heard he is black?  Black!!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:37:22 AM »

I think the next time I go tea-partying, I might bring a sign that says, "Is this sign racist?"  I'd also like a sign that says "Can we have another Black president?  This one's defective."  But that's too long for a sign.   

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:20 AM »
Oh, relax, everybody. Turning a capitalist hell hole into a workers' and peasants' heaven on earth can be a little disruptive at first.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »
He shouldn't have used White Paper. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
There's always hope: maybe Obama's white half will rebel against him.

There's so much more to come in terms of control.  Cap & Trade and the Great Greening will hamstring just about every aspect of our daily lives, and we will pay through the nose for our growing enslavement.  But don't forget the amnesty Obama has planned: that will change the entire culture and make sure those hateful values that emanated from Northern Europe are expunged over time.  The good news is we won't really be aware of a lot of this because the information sources that now upset us, including this one, won't be permitted to spew their rightist bilge any more.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: There is no future in co-existence with the American Left.  If they want their own Communist/Green America, let them have it--but not on our dime or with our souls in thrall.  Expect the talk of "divorce" to grow over the coming months, as "crazy" as some may think that is.  I think it will be apparent after the 2010 elections and the enactment of more draconian Obama legislation that political business as usual will not stop what's in play.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
What scares me is the way Obama is systematically taking over control of our financial lives.  Think of the most important financial transactions you have made in your life, or expect to make in your lifetime, and see if Obama hasn't grabbed control of them.  Go ahead, list 'em out.

Buying a house or some land...?  Check.  FedGov owns the mortgage business.

Saving for retire or building some personal wealth...?  Check.  Obama has all of the major Wall Street brokerages and investment houses by the short and curlies.  FedGov has Social Security.  Obama's union allies have their tentacles wrapped around most of the nations pension funds.  Politcritters are muttering about taxing or even confiscating IRA accounts and 401(k) accounts.

Expensive medical treatments...?  Check.  Obamacare and government-run health insurance is there to take care of you.

Going to college or sending your kids to college...?  Check.  The House voted today to take over the student loan business.  Student loans will now be issued by the Executive Branch, not your local bank branch.

New Car...?  Check.  Obamamotors will be happy to sell you one.

Have I missed anything?

I was scared by the prospect of an Obama presidency.  I'm even more scared now that I see it playing out in excruciating detail.  And I'm flabbergasted that so few other people see these problems, or seem to care about them.

I'm very glad my home loan is not FHA, and is conventional instead.  Once my Dodge truck is paid off (financed through my local credit union, not a fedgov motor bank or fedgov bailout bank), any additional vehicles will be a cash prospect.

Retirement scares the bejeezus out of me, even being merely 31 today.

I am very anxious of putting money into a 401k after the rumblings last year of nationalizing those and "paying fairly" to those recipients.  With my 1-time success playing stocks openly in order to obtain my house down payment, I'm tempted to forgo trendy retirement tools and take my retirement into my own hands.  Gold, stocks, bonds.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
Expect the talk of "divorce" to grow over the coming months, as "crazy" as some may think that is.  I think it will be apparent after the 2010 elections and the enactment of more draconian Obama "bipartisan" legislation that political business as usual will not stop what's in play.

Fixed that for you.

The Stupid PartyTM will campaign for American Values and Capitalism and Sunshine and Apple Pie, and then sell us down the river when it comes to truly cutting behemoth spending.  Or re-liberating our rights from the DHS/DEA/FBI/ATF/NHS ever-growing monstrosity.

I will say it plainly for all Stupid Party candidates:  KEEPING SPENDING GROWTH SLIGHTLY BELOW INFLATION IS NOT THE SAME AS CUTTING SPENDING.  We want real slashes across the government budget.  Make the bureaucrats howl in pain.  If you had friends in the bureaucratic machine prior to the 2011 budget, you won't when 2012 hits if you do it right.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
The Stupid Party isn't the one taking over our lives.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
The Stupid Party isn't the one taking over our lives.

They're just the ones pushing us over into "the position" and yanking down our pants. Bipartisanship!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
No.  What's going on now is orders of magnitude more severe and dangerous than anything the Republicans wanted to do.  The Republicans may have dabbled around the edges a bit, but they never dreamed of doing anything quite like this.  It's right to criticize The Reps for their dabbling, but it's a grave mistake to confuse what they did to the wholesale destruction of the American way that the liberal Dems are attempting today.

Things would be a dramatically different if McCain had been elected, or if there was still a R majority in Congress.  Heck, even with a non-filibuster-proof majority for the Dems it would be a completely different game.

This sort of stuff only happens when the Dems have the Presidency and an unassailable majority in Congress.  The last time the Dems had such strong control of government was in the '60s, and we got the Great Society garbage out of it.  The last time before that was in the '30s, and we got the New Deal from that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:10:15 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
The GOP has become part of the Nice Bystander Class.  They are going to need to become much more militant if they want to survive as a party.  I'm not placing any bets on that.  They are too comfortable and, secretly, too in love with Authority to buck the New System.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
The GOP leadership, largely feckless, is still mumbling about decorum and civility.  There is nothing civil or decorous about a jackboot, no matter how much high-flown rhetoric comes with it. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
longeyes, have you ever passed up an opportunity to bash the Republican Party?  You even throw that in when it has nothing to do with current discussions.  Was one of them mean to you in a past life or something? 
You also like to try to turn Dem-bashing into Repub-bashing.  Are you really just a closet Democrat trying to deflect criticism?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »

What scares the snot outta me is the complete absence of protest from the organized opposition (aka "Republican Party").  Nothing, zero, zip, nadda.  No legislation (that I'm aware of).  No political huffing and puffing.  A number of offshore websites watch the situation but by and large the opposition has just laid down.  Scary.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
I'll support the GOP when, again, I feel they support me--and, more importantly, this Republic.  My position is simple enough: The nation is in a grave crisis, with disaster looming; either the GOP recognizes the gravity of this and acts accordingly--militantly--or they need to get out of the way.

Instead, we have the spectacle of various GOP "leaders" castigating Joe Wilson for his allegedly uncivil "outburst."  What has this Administration been if not an eight-month outburst?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
More.  It took two "kids" to shake ACORN to its foundation.  Why didn't the GOP do this, long ago?  I'll tell you why: ACORN = black people, and the GOP isn't ready to face the charges of racism.  Same reason they aren't doing enough to block amnesty.  They are gutless, and I don't like gutless people, especially when they have my future in their hands.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »
I should know better than to open my mouth in the politics side of this forum, but I am stupid so what can you expect.

I know this is a conservative/libertarian forum but there are plenty of people in the country who still think Obama is doing a good job (myself among them).

1. All the mainstream coverage I saw (CNN, BBC, NPR) was about what the kids video taped.  The only 'criticism' I saw about the kids was the local prosecutor thinking about doing his job and prosecuting because they broke local law.  There may have been some 'liberal' media complaining about whether or not the videos showed the whole truth or not, but that is not the same as ignoring the content. 

2. The guy was an ass to a sitting president on live TV, it was not appropriate, and even many conservatives thought so.  Sure, the Democrats are picking it up and running with it but what do you expect them to do?  Obama himself has been nothing but polite about an overblown accusation.

3. You can argue about it all you want, I think Carter has a point.  I personally know people who don't like Obama because they don't trust 'that *let's not go there*'.  I've been to the south and had plenty of conversations with people who are overtly racist.  All he is saying is that racism still exists.  So what?  If Obama himself starts crying about how he is being picked on I'll be the first person to call him an ahole, but that is not happening.

4. You mean the tea party stuff?  If that is what you mean, I have seen plenty of coverage...although calling them 'the largest demonstrations in history' seems silly.

5. Not sure what you mean by racist appointee.

All I see is a list of conservative talk radio lead-ins.

(God help me for opening my mouth)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
you've been to the south?  from where?  funny thing i've lived both north and south and the worst racism i've experienced was north. then again i often hear haoles pontificate on racism . then they drive ack to their all white hood
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
you've been to the south?  from where?  funny thing i've lived both north and south and the worst racism i've experienced was north. then again i often hear haoles pontificate on racism . then they drive ack to their all white hood

Yes, it is in the north as well, that is what I meant in the first line.  I have family in both places, and I have heard fairly severe racism from both sides of the Mason-Dixie line :)

Kyle

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
Obama is in the best possible position.

Someone accuses Obama of lying.

On CNN that night, does the headline say "Obama responds to accusations of misrepresenting the healthcare plan"?

No, it doesnt. Instead it says:

"Obama spokesman claims President does not believe Wilson's comments to be racist"

WTF? Instead of responding to any criticisms, Obama has his lapdogs call the critics racist.

And then, Obama comes out and says "I do not believe ____ stems from racism"

So in the end, he ignores and deflects the criticism. Not only that, but he come out looking all nice and gracious, leaving the idiots murmuring to themselves about how all-loving and kind he is.

I wish my job was that easy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »
2. The guy was an ass to a sitting president on live TV, it was not appropriate, and even many conservatives thought so.  Sure, the Democrats are picking it up and running with it but what do you expect them to do?  Obama himself has been nothing but polite about an overblown accusation.

That's very funny.  Polite would be responding to Wilson's immediate apology with an apology for telling lies in the first place. 

3. You can argue about it all you want, I think Carter has a point.  I personally know people who don't like Obama because they don't trust 'that *let's not go there*'.  I've been to the south and had plenty of conversations with people who are overtly racist.  All he is saying is that racism still exists.  So what?  If Obama himself starts crying about how he is being picked on I'll be the first person to call him an ahole, but that is not happening.

a) If Carter's point was simply that some people are overtly racist, and are opposed to Obama on that basis, you would be right.  That's not what Carter said.  See footnote below for the Carter quotation from CNN.*

b) Obama has already cryed about being picked on for everything from the size of his ears to the color of his skin. 

5. Not sure what you mean by racist appointee.

Take your pick. Van Jones?  Sotomayor?

Quote from: Jimmy Carter
"When a radical fringe element of demonstrators and others begin to attack the president of the United States as an animal or as a reincarnation of Adolf Hitler or when they wave signs in the air that said we should have buried Obama with Kennedy, those kinds of things are beyond the bounds," the Democrat who served from 1977-1981 told students at Emory University.

"I think people who are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African American.

"It's a racist attitude, and my hope is and my expectation is that in the future both Democratic leaders and Republican leaders will take the initiative in condemning that kind of unprecedented attack on the president of the United States," Carter said.

I just now realized that he said "unprecedented attack."  Wow, what a comedian.