Author Topic: "I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war"  (Read 11375 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
"I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war"
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41609536/ns/world_news-mideast/n_africa/

Wonderful. The primary source for allegations of Iraq holding WMD recants. He just wanted the Saddam government to fall.  So in a very real sense, the butcher's bill is in part due to this man.   

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: "I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
This only matters because we thought we needed a pretext to invade the place. Baghdad should have been occupied in 1991, we just lack the will to just say the guy is pure evil and needs to be attached to a rope. 100K killed is probably a drop in the bucket compared to lives lost in the intervening years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
This only matters because we thought we needed a pretext to invade the place. Baghdad should have been occupied in 1991, we just lack the will to just say the guy is pure evil and needs to be attached to a rope. 100K killed is probably a drop in the bucket compared to lives lost in the intervening years.

So?  The world is full of evil dictators and now it's shown this guy was no real threat to us.  Was it worth the loss of American lives and Treasury?

If so, then I can come up with a rather lengthy list of bad guys we need to go after because it seems the only criteria is how evil they are.  Personally, I'd rather keep our soldiers alive and our money in our pockets.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »

Hussein was only a problem because of us, propping him up for years until he pissed off the UN one too many times.
What really matters is cutting all funding to other countries, especially those run by dictators.  We now run a very real risk of Egypt turning into an islamofacist state.  Our 30 years of dumping funding into Mubarks pockets has gotten us nothing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
Bush is still at fault. He made the man lie.  [popcorn]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:23:20 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »
So was this guy the ONLY source for that intelligence? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
Hussein was only a problem because of us, propping him up for years until he pissed off the UN one too many times.
What really matters is cutting all funding to other countries, especially those run by dictators.  We now run a very real risk of Egypt turning into an islamofacist state.  Our 30 years of dumping funding into Mubarks pockets has gotten us nothing.
Sure it has.

It's bought us a percentage of the population who hates us for propping up the guy who abused them for 30 years. One far larger and more rabidly anti-West then it otherwise would have been. And a percentage that is large enough that Egypt becoming the next Iran is a very real possibility.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
Saddam was shooting at our (& the UK's) planes and was in violation of most of the 1990 Gulf War ceasefire agreements.  We needed no pretext to invade and destroy his regime as he broke the ceasefire agreement many, many times.

The only question that matters was, "Was it in our interests to do so?"

All else is hot air.

If this dude's revelation has any relevance, it is WRT the sorry state our intel orgs were/are in.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
I concur with Roo-ster. Saddam should have been taken out in '91. Barring that going back was the right thing to do but I think they (we) bollixed up the works by the way they went about the clean up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
Bush is still at fault. He made the man lie.  [popcorn]

Bush is partially at fault because he was ultimately responsible for the CIA, which evidently forgot how to do intel/counterintel properly sometime between the Angleton era and Clinton's liaisons in the Oval Office.

These days presidents seem to be more cheerleaders than anything else, but they're supposed to do things like make sure the directors of important agencies like the CIA know what they're doing.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
That this particular clown recanted his story about biological agents is neither here nor there in the grand WMD picture and same for the yellow cake issue. Why? Because we actually found chemical weapon artillery shells. It seems very convenient that the "there-was-no-WMD" crowd continues to ignore piddly little things such as Mustard, Sarin and VX which were actually used, and against civilians of a particular ethnic group no less.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
Wonderful. The primary source for allegations of Iraq holding WMD recants. He just wanted the Saddam government to fall.  So in a very real sense, the butcher's bill is in part due to this man.
No, actually the butcher's bill is due in part to US policy makers who used a single data point to drive war policy.  This man's tales were the excuse for war; not the reason.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Was the war good for US interests is not the only question- Iraqis have rights to life and proprty like everyone else.  We also need to consider whether it was moral to visit that amount of destruction.

The only clear winner in Iraq, in any case, is Iran.  They've had nothing but beneficial change.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
The only clear winner in Iraq, in any case, is Iran.  They've had nothing but beneficial change.

So, the Iraqi's aren't better off now with Saddam gone? Also, when you say that Iran has had nothing but beneficial change, do you mean the Iranian people or the government?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
So, the Iraqi's aren't better off now with Saddam gone? Also, when you say that Iran has had nothing but beneficial change, do you mean the Iranian people or the government?

No, Iraqis are not better off- they are dying in higher numbers, making less money, displaced by the millions, have been ethnically cleansed, and have infrastructure that's amazingly worse than before.  Saddam deserved what he got; that doesn't mean the Iraqis are doing better.

By Iran, I mean the government- it now has it's agents in charge of Iraq.  If Iraq does get stronger, Iran will have a great ally against it's gulf enemies.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »
Bush is partially at fault because he was ultimately responsible for the CIA, which evidently forgot how to do intel/counterintel properly sometime between the Angleton era and Clinton's liaisons in the Oval Office.

These days presidents seem to be more cheerleaders than anything else, but they're supposed to do things like make sure the directors of important agencies like the CIA know what they're doing.

It was called the "Church Committee."

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
No, Iraqis are not better off- they are dying in higher numbers...

Iraq death rate for 2010: 4.92 per 1000 population, source CIA World Fact Book:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/iz.html

Iraq death rate for 2001: 6.01 per 1000 population, source CIA World Fact Book:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/factbook/geos/iz.html

That's all the fact-checking I have time for now. Maybe somebody else can research parts of your post to see how accurate it is.

(Of course, it is the CIA, and we all know how those f*****s lie).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
It seems very convenient that the "there-was-no-WMD" crowd continues to ignore piddly little things such as Mustard, Sarin and VX which were actually used, and against civilians of a particular ethnic group no less.

Would those be the weapons that the US sold to our old buddy Saddam  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

You have earned yourself a  [tinfoil] .  Enjoy!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
The CIA World Factbook has more on Iraq.

2001 GDP (purchasing power parity): $59 billion
http://www.faqs.org/docs/factbook/geos/iz.html

2010 GDP (purchasing power parity): $117.7 billion
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/iz.html

The same report shows the per capita GDP at $2500 for 2001 and $3600 for 2010.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »

According to  SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace/Research Institute) America provided 1% of the arms sold to Iraq from the years 1973-2002.
Brazil sold them 2%, or twice as much.
Czechoslovakia sold them 7%
France 13%
And the former U.S.S.R. sold them 57%
So I think this bit of "blame America first" can be put to bed.
Unless you wanna send Brazil a nasty letter. [tinfoil]
And maybe Russia a few. [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »
Unless you wanna send Brazil a nasty letter. [tinfoil]
And maybe Russia a few. [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Are we going to put Anthrax in them?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 12:19:06 AM »
Are we going to put Anthrax in them?

Mailing anthrax to the Russian government - a clever and convoluted way to commit suicide.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »
No, Iraqis are not better off- they are dying in higher numbers, making less money, displaced by the millions, have been ethnically cleansed, and have infrastructure that's amazingly worse than before.  Saddam deserved what he got; that doesn't mean the Iraqis are doing better.

By Iran, I mean the government- it now has it's agents in charge of Iraq.  If Iraq does get stronger, Iran will have a great ally against it's gulf enemies.

This is pure unadulterated blocks. Provide a scrap of evidence for any of these claims.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 12:00:02 PM »
So I think this bit of "blame America first" can be put to bed.

Of course we've never meddled in ME affairs...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin