Author Topic: Excellent bit by Jon Stewart about Ron Paul media bias  (Read 13703 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Excellent bit by Jon Stewart about Ron Paul media bias
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/08/jon-stewart-ron-paul/41311/

Wow.  The media lynches itself with the video clips he scrounged up.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Excellent bit by Jon Stewart about Ron Paul media bias
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
This is new?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »
This is new?

Not new.  Just more topical than normal, given the GOP primary system now in play.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that notices the obvious lengths that the paleomedia go to to avoid acknowledging Ron Paul. I was watching TV at lunch this week and they showed some poll results, and Ron Paul was second in the results, after Michelle Bachman. So, does the following discussion mention Ron Paul?  No, the next screen has Michelle Bachman, Perry, and Romney. It's as if they show the graph real quick and then just try to avoid even mentioning the fact that Ron Paul exists, despite the fact that he was second in the poll results on their own poll. I remember seeing exactly the same thing in 2008. Ron Paul would get 1st place in some opinion poll, but then they don't even discuss him! It's as if the media can't bring themselves to outright falsify the data, but they can't stomach actually discussing Ron Paul or acknowledging him. It would be comical in its obviousness if it wasn't so malicious. I mean, in 2008 he had a &$(* blimp, which should have been crack for the media, but I guess the blimp just had the wrong name on it, so all you got was these "oh yeah, here's a 2 second picture of the Ron Paul blimp and now, let's discuss Obama's haircut!" What I can't figure out is how this comes about; I don't like to believe conspiracy things about the media being controlled by the spooky powers but how else do they show such obvious bias toward the powers that be? What are they afraid of?

See also: the 2008 rallys that got only token mention in the paleomedia.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that notices the obvious lengths that the paleomedia go to to avoid acknowledging Ron Paul. I was watching TV at lunch this week and they showed some poll results, and Ron Paul was second in the results, after Michelle Bachman. So, does the following discussion mention Ron Paul?  No, the next screen has Michelle Bachman, Perry, and Romney. It's as if they show the graph real quick and then just try to avoid even mentioning the fact that Ron Paul exists, despite the fact that he was second in the poll results on their own poll. I remember seeing exactly the same thing in 2008. Ron Paul would get 1st place in some opinion poll, but then they don't even discuss him! It's as if the media can't bring themselves to outright falsify the data, but they can't stomach actually discussing Ron Paul or acknowledging him. It would be comical in its obviousness if it wasn't so malicious. I mean, in 2008 he had a &$(* blimp, which should have been crack for the media, but I guess the blimp just had the wrong name on it, so all you got was these "oh yeah, here's a 2 second picture of the Ron Paul blimp and now, let's discuss Obama's haircut!" What I can't figure out is how this comes about; I don't like to believe conspiracy things about the media being controlled by the spooky powers but how else do they show such obvious bias toward the powers that be? What are they afraid of?

Remember the Jan 2008 "Debate" on Fox news.  They invited the "Top 4 GOP Candidates" which included Paul. Then the de-invited paul and invited Giulianni, who to date had about half the primary votes Paul had.

Or how about the early "debate" where they went quite a while ignoring Paul, and then finally came round to him with "And now a question for you, Mr. Paul.  It's on electability:  Do you have any, sir?"  Ron somehow managed to not jump over the podium and choke the guy out, then gave a rousing response which touched on the root of the Republican party and how he was the only person holding to its original values. He finished it up with ". . . and you say I am not electable?"  For his effort he got a standing ovation from the crowd.

They couldn't avoid letting that tidbit out during the live airing, but that question and response was edited out of the re-airing.  That's right.  When Fox re-aired the "debate", they removed it!

I'm not one for conspiracy theories either, but this is as plain a conspiracy as there ever was.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:13:06 AM »
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/08/jon-stewart-ron-paul/41311/

Wow.  The media lynches itself with the video clips he scrounged up.
:laugh:
That was entertaining. And sad.

It's as if the media can't bring themselves to outright falsify the data, but they can't stomach actually discussing Ron Paul or acknowledging him. It would be comical in its obviousness if it wasn't so malicious.
Agreed. I think George Wallace would get more airtime than Paul does.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:52:10 AM »

I'm not one for conspiracy theories either, but this is as plain a conspiracy as there ever was.

The "conservative" media has had it in for Paul and his supporters for a long time....remember the "ambush" interview Debra Medina had on Glenn Beck....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
What I can't figure out is how this comes about; I don't like to believe conspiracy things about the media being controlled by the spooky powers but how else do they show such obvious bias toward the powers that be? What are they afraid of?

Ron Paul represents an actual threat to the status quo for the parties and the media.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."  (The Usual Suspects)

The greatest trick the Powers-That-Be ever pulled was convincing us there are no conspiracies.

When Ron Paul talked about The Federal Reserve he became a man without a country politically.  No one is allowed to get that close.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
There is no conspiracy because the press isn't that smart.

Ron Paul is treated as he is because the press considers him Lyndon LaRouche (is that the right spelling?)

He has a VERY committed group of followers. However, most people think his acolytes are nuts, and although he has strong support among a small percentage of the population (as any libertarian would), he is unlikely to progress beyond that support because most people think he and his acolytes are nuts.

Most people will agree with at least some part of his positions. It is, however, the case that most people will find at least one position that he holds to be absolutely insane and suicidal, thus dooming his candidacy.

It's not a conspiracy. It's that his positions alienate anyone outside of libertarians. (His fiscal views will alienate liberals. His pollyannaish foreign policy views alienate conservatives. He's a libertarian candidate and he represents the best libertarians on their own would be able to achieve.)

Until Ron Paul proves he can win over more than roughly 12% of the electorate, he's unlikely to get much focus. His kooky supporters in 2008 have made people wary of trusting any poll where he does well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
I was not talking about Ron Paul, I was talking about The Federal Reserve.  And that, in my opinion, IS a conspiracy.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
There is no conspiracy because the press isn't that smart.

Ron Paul is treated as he is because the press considers him Lyndon LaRouche (is that the right spelling?)

He has a VERY committed group of followers. However, most people think his acolytes are nuts, and although he has strong support among a small percentage of the population (as any libertarian would), he is unlikely to progress beyond that support because most people think he and his acolytes are nuts.

Most people will agree with at least some part of his positions. It is, however, the case that most people will find at least one position that he holds to be absolutely insane and suicidal, thus dooming his candidacy.

It's not a conspiracy. It's that his positions alienate anyone outside of libertarians. (His fiscal views will alienate liberals. His pollyannaish foreign policy views alienate conservatives. He's a libertarian candidate and he represents the best libertarians on their own would be able to achieve.)

Until Ron Paul proves he can win over more than roughly 12% of the electorate, he's unlikely to get much focus. His kooky supporters in 2008 have made people wary of trusting any poll where he does well.

That's really it.

The committed Libertarian machine has an ability to affect straw polls and caucus results out of any proportion to his actual ability to win in a general election.

Frankly, I'm AMAZED the MSM hasn't glommed onto Paul as a sure-fire way to sink any GOP chances for winning back POTUS. I'd love to see a Libertarian America, however, until the LP actually builds a base at the local level, Ron Paul is nothing but 100 yard punt return/Hail Mary pass wishful thinking. The Libertarian/Ron Paul movement hasn't even been able to significantly affect the GOP the way the Tea Party has been able to bend them back towards more than just lip-service fiscal conservatism.

If the Tea Party, which is only two years old, if that, and has no central coordination can sweep that many Congressional seats, and bend the ear of the rest of the party as it has, but the LP which has existed for decades now has only Ron Paul... well, I think people can do the math.

I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
If the Tea Partiers believe that "smaller government" alone is going to save American or turn it around--without addressing the kinds of things a Ron Paul does--they are wasting their time. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
but the LP which has existed for decades now has only Ron Paul... well, I think people can do the math.

And Paul Broun. And Justin Amash. And Randall Paul.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
And Paul Broun. And Justin Amash. And Randall Paul.

Aside from Rand Paul (who doesn't sound so much like a libertarian these days), as an informed voter and political junkie, let me say:

Who?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »
Representatives.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
If the Tea Partiers believe that "smaller government" alone is going to save American or turn it around--without addressing the kinds of things a Ron Paul does--they are wasting their time. 
Gotta start somewhere.  Small govt is something you can campaign on in the present reality.  Abolishing the Fed is not. 

More Importantly:  If you get a bunch of Congressmen who actually do the small govt thing, you are a hell of a lot more likely to actually get the other stuff Ron Paul likes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
I was not talking about Ron Paul, I was talking about The Federal Reserve.  And that, in my opinion, IS a conspiracy.

I do gotta say, it was kinda weird standing in the middle of the information security center for the Federal Reserve.  Not as nice as you'd think, really, but quite good enough.

Combine lack of any economics education in the US with a short attention span.  That's the amount of the conspiracy.

Ron Paul is ignored because the media wants him to be crazy, because it is better than the alternative.  Is he?  Sure, probably.  So what?  It is preferable to the alternative.  Any politician, none of whom will admit it, is that it is politically infeasible to run the country responsibly.  The only solution is to kick the can down the road and hope one dies before the bill comes due.  This is the sane solution, honestly.  It takes an insane man to think that he can accomplish the impossible, that is, a fiscally responsible government.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
  It takes an insane man to think that he can accomplish the impossible, that is, a fiscally responsible government.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149114/Obama-Close-Race-Against-Romney-Perry-Bachmann-Paul.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

Americans are getting a bit more insane, then.

And Gallup is waking up.  The media might pay a bit more attention to the crazy old uncle, soon.
--Lysander Spooner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
  Any politician, none of whom will admit it, is that it is politically infeasible to run the country responsibly.  The only solution is to kick the can down the road and hope one dies before the bill comes due.  This is the sane solution, honestly.  It takes an insane man to think that he can accomplish the impossible, that is, a fiscally responsible government.

Andrew Jackson
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »
Andrew Jackson

Are you implying Andrew Jackson was a responsible president?

Or that he was insane? I'll go with the latter, but I question the former.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
Are you implying Andrew Jackson was a responsible president?

Or that he was insane? I'll go with the latter, but I question the former.

He's implying that what you perceive to be impossible, the removal of a central bank, is in actuality a historical fact. Andrew Jackson did exactly such a thing during his presidency and was wholly opposed to such private banks controlling the nation's money supply for the following reasons:

It concentrated the nation's financial strength in a single institution.
    It exposed the government to control by foreign interests.
    It served mainly to make the rich richer.
    It exercised too much control over members of Congress.
    It favored northeastern states over southern and western states.
    Banks are controlled by a few select families.
    Banks have a long history of instigating wars between nations, forcing them to borrow funding to pay for them.

Personally, I've always been fond of the following joke: "Irony is Andrew Jackson on a central bank note."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
Old Hickory knew how to deal with the monied interests.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
He's implying that what you perceive to be impossible, the removal of a central bank, is in actuality a historical fact. Andrew Jackson did exactly such a thing during his presidency and was wholly opposed to such private banks controlling the nation's money supply for the following reasons:

It concentrated the nation's financial strength in a single institution.
    It exposed the government to control by foreign interests.
    It served mainly to make the rich richer.
    It exercised too much control over members of Congress.
    It favored northeastern states over southern and western states.
    Banks are controlled by a few select families.
    Banks have a long history of instigating wars between nations, forcing them to borrow funding to pay for them.

Personally, I've always been fond of the following joke: "Irony is Andrew Jackson on a central bank note."

I've never implied it was impossible. I've flatly stated it is a foolish focus as other issues are far more important. SPENDING, for example.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
Spending is far less important in my view than some other concerns.