Author Topic: Un-[___]ing Believable!  (Read 8228 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Un-[___]ing Believable!
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 04:59:59 AM »
I think it depends on whether Anonymous is outraged by it or not. 

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/26/professor-arrested-on-suspicion-of-assaulting-trump-supporters-with-metal-bike-lock-in-berkeley/

These are also the guys who tracked down a flag being flown where the only evidence of it being flown was a webcam showing the flag from an angle that only showed the flag and sky.

Weaponized autism. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
They know full well the mood of the country, and they are fully aware that if they published his name and location his house would probably be torched within 24 hours. Heck, if they published his name without the location, probably twenty people with that name all across the country would have their houses torched.

Have people had their houses set on fire by anti-Trump goons?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »

Have people had their houses set on fire by anti-Trump goons?

I think I'd rather take the house fire than a full arm swing of a bike lock to the head...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »

Do you think protesting outside of a person's house is wrong? Why would you say that?

Absolutely 100% wrong. Conservatives always rail about property rights, "home=castle" etc. when this is done to them or to people they approve of.

You don't involve people's families, including kids (and with home protests, neighbors) in your beef with them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Absolutely 100% wrong. Conservatives always rail about property rights, "home=castle" etc. when this is done to them or to people they approve of.

You don't involve people's families, including kids (and with home protests, neighbors) in your beef with them.

I believe that too. Unfortunately we don't live under those rules any more, and so long as we don't, I'm vehemently opposed to only one side of a debate being protected by the rules of civility.

I'm not going to protest on someone's lawn, but until there is universal condemnation on that, I'm taking the position of "no enemies to the right."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »
I believe that too. Unfortunately we don't live under those rules any more, and so long as we don't, I'm vehemently opposed to only one side of a debate being protected by the rules of civility.

I'm not going to protest on someone's lawn, but until there is universal condemnation on that, I'm taking the position of "no enemies to the right."

I can semi-agree with you here I think. If Anonymous wants to go after them, or SJW and internet anti-doxx types want to go to the guy's house, these are groups that don't really believe in the house=castle mantra and personal property rights, so it's kind of like them eating their own.

I simply can't approve of conservative and libertarian groups blocking his front door because it's hypocritical to what they supposedly stand for. Peacefully protesting on the sidewalk in front of CNN would be a different thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »

You can protest at or near someone's home without being on their property, or attacking their children. As far as I know, there's no law against protesting in the presence of children, or neighbors.

I'm curious - do you think funeral protests are protected speech?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »

I simply can't approve of conservative and libertarian groups blocking his front door because it's hypocritical to what they supposedly stand for. Peacefully protesting on the sidewalk in front of CNN would be a different thing.

CNN is a private entity. How is peacefully demonstrating on the sidewalk in front of CNN any different from peacefully demonstrating on the sidewalk in front of an individual's house?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »

You can protest at or near someone's home without being on their property, or attacking their children. As far as I know, there's no law against protesting in the presence of children, or neighbors.

I'm curious - do you think funeral protests are protected speech?

You can absolutely not protest at someone's home (or a funeral) without affecting their children if they are at that place. "Protected" =/= moral or civil. Just because you support someone's right to burn an American flag, are you going to burn one?

Do you remember what APS staff did to the guy here who posted your personal information and home address ten or so years ago? We handled it without resorting to his tactics.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
You can absolutely not protest at someone's home (or a funeral) without affecting their children if they are at that place. "Protected" =/= moral or civil. Just because you support someone's right to burn an American flag, are you going to burn one?

Do you remember what APS staff did to the guy here who posted your personal information and home address ten or so years ago? We handled it without resorting to his tactics.
"affecting" is a pretty wide open word.  Is just standing there the problem? 

I doubt anyone would behave like the union activists did a few years ago where they broke down the front door of a politician's house when only his kid was home.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »

If what the person did is significant enough, and bad enough, that people have a good reason to protest, then why would you be worried that his children might see or hear a protest? What's going on at this protest that is so terrifying for the children? Does this guy from CNN even have minor children that live with him?

I think it makes a difference what you're protesting. Granted, CNN doxxing a guy is not as bad as, say, the guy that was performing FGM up in Michigan, or wherever. But protesting the CNN guy is certainly different from getting upset that a pizza parlor won't hypothetically cater a gay wedding.

As for the guy that dug up my home address, I don't think the problem was my fear that he might stage a legal, 1st-amendment protest outside my house.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »

First you talked about "blocking his door." That's not legal. Sidewalks are public spaces. If we believe in a nation of laws, and freedom of speech, I think we have to accept that standing on a public sidewalk cannot be prohibited (as long as the demonstration/protest is peaceful and doesn't impede anyone's right of free passage).

Of course, everyone views things differently. I know the Supreme Court has ruled that burning the flag is "protected free speech," but I disagree with that ruling. I have to accept it, because it's the law of the land (at least for now), but I don't think it should be allowed. So asking if I'm going to burn a flag because I support someone else's right to do so is the wrong question to be asking me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:27:37 PM by Hawkmoon »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
First you talked about "blocking his door." That's not legal. Sidewalks are public spaces. If we believe in a national of laws, and freedom of speech, I think we have to accept that standing on a public sidewalk cannot be prohibited (as long as the demonstration/protest is peaceful and doesn't impede anyone's right of free passage).

Not once have I talked about "prohibited".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
I'd still like to know what you think about funeral protests.

I've never heard of a taboo against protests in residential areas. I guess I could be talked into it. But where is protest acceptable? No one wants to be protested anywhere - at work, at the corner bar, at church, etc.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »
I'd still like to know what you think about funeral protests.

I've never heard of a taboo against protests in residential areas. I guess I could be talked into it. But where is protest acceptable? No one wants to be protested anywhere - at work, at the corner bar, at church, etc.

I thought I already answered that. A funeral protest is even more crass than taking a protest from someone's work to their home and personal life.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
I am getting confused by everyone mixing illegal versus societal taboos versus being mean.............but I guess that isn't all that unusual on this site.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Seriously....   CNN stepped on their own crank wearing golf shoes, and as this story keeps growing, it appears they're continuing to grind it into the ground.   

I do have to laugh at how they are so upset that what they were threatening to do to someone else, is now being done to them.   As someone pointed out, goose, gander, etc.   

I don't necessarily agree with the whole "protesting at their house" business....   But I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for a group that in general, tends to say, "well, we didn't intend to incite that mob to riot, we were just reporting the news!"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
I thought I already answered that. A funeral protest is even more crass than taking a protest from someone's work to their home and personal life.

My office is at ground level, and has a mighty big window, facing the sidewalk. And I mean, it is hard by the sidewalk. I can't imagine a protest outside that window, where it would affect me, and other people in our small company, being a whole lot more acceptable to me than having a protest on the other side of my front yard.

Also, some people work out of their homes. What's the rule there?

I guess if you conceive of a workplace as a high-rise office on the 35th floor, with protests occuring down on the sidewalk; vs a house in the burbs, your dichotomy makes more sense. I guess my perspective is different.

In either case, I'd think the workplace protest is more likely to have long term impact, if it causes you to lose your job.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »

Why is taking the protest against what someone did at his/her place of work to his/her place of residence any more crass than that someone taking a private party, who posted something anonymously with the expectation of remaining private, and publicizing the poster's name and personal information? Kaczynski threatened an invasion of an individual's privacy -- I think it's only fair that he should reap what he threatened to sow.

I compare it to those newspapers who printed the names and addresses of concealed carry permit holders. The publishers and editors weren't so happy when their home addresses and telephone numbers were made public.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 10:37:15 PM »
Anybody want to guess the over/under for how long Anon will take CNN off the air ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »
My own contribution:

Feel free to share far and wide!  =D
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
My own contribution:

Feel free to share far and wide!  =D

I could swear I saw that on Twitchy or somewhere. If so, good job! If not, good job anyway!  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »
@RobSchneider

CNN is biased,fake,lies,distortions,fake sources & a blackmailer.
I reserve the right to watch your network again should any of that change.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18355/cnn-fun-fact-day-here-are-all-networks-beating-cnn-james-barrett

The cable ratings show that over the course of last week (June 26-July 2), CNN's viewership from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. was far below Fox News and MSNBC, and also trailed Home and Garden TV, USA Network, TBS Network, History channel, ESPN, Discovery Channel, FX, TLC, Nick-at-Night, and Investigation Discovery.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:05:52 PM by fistful »