Author Topic: Howard Stern Gets a Lesson in Economics  (Read 1744 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Howard Stern Gets a Lesson in Economics
« on: April 01, 2006, 04:18:38 AM »
This cracks me up. Howard can't figure out that maybe a lot of people who listened to him did so because it was free
(I'm sure part of it is "shock jock" but you know real ego is involved too).
-------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060331/ap_en_ce/people_stern;_ylt=AiKRvLqFTEymIrlVsTV7L52s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

Howard Stern Lashes Out at Some Fans

Fri Mar 31, 4:20 PM ET

Howard Stern is angry more fans haven't followed him to satellite radio. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the 52-year-old shock jock lashes out at those of his fan base who haven't made the transition to Sirius Satellite Radio.

In January, Stern moved his popular and bawdy morning show to the subscription satellite radio provider.

"I was just at my psychiatrist and I said, `I just got great news: We hit the 4 million mark. And I'm angry. It should be 20 million,'" Stern says in the magazine, on newsstands Monday.

"It's insulting to me that everyone hasn't come with me. I take it personally," he says.

"I want to say to my audience ... `You haven't come with me yet? How dare you? We're up to wild, crazy stuff, the show has never sounded better. You cheap bastard!'"

In February, CBS Radio, formerly known as Infinity Broadcasting, filed a lawsuit against Stern for improperly using airtime to promote his new show on Sirius.

Stern has claimed the lawsuit is without merit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 04:26:40 AM »
How dare they not follow His Childishness!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 05:15:09 AM »
Beat you to it!

I already posted this one under the title of "What a whiny beech"

Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 05:19:59 AM »
Argh, I'm a day late and dollar short AGAIN!  Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:22:19 PM »
Are you absolutely sure that Howard Stern isnt making more money on Satelite than he did in broadcast? The one thing that this man is good at is getting media attention when he wants it. Looks like thats what he did.

For the record, guess how many subscribers Sirius had before the Stern show moved. The answer is 600,000. His deal is worth 500 million over 5 years, not counting sponsorship dollars earned on the show itself, and I dont believe that his pay is contingent upon getting any listeners.

When a person manages to turn fart jokes and prank phone calls into a 100 million dollar a year business, I dont think they need much in the way of economic education.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 08:54:43 PM »
I know this thread is now over-shadowed by a longer thread that will choke it to death.  Yet I pity it, and so will post in its lonely little existence.  Yet hope is not gone.

Live, thread!  Live!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:46:34 PM »
ok!
I never liked sterns show, even in a different life in the early eighties in NYC and I was a punk rocker.
it's just boring (to me) my brother in law is a huge fan though and is one of those guys who bought sattlight radio because he can not live without howard stern.

I liked his movie though, and tried to listen to his show but I would rather listen to Rush Limbaugh and Hannity and Savage Nation.
DR Laura, Laura Ingram, Glenn Beck...I don't know why...call me crazy I guess.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

publius

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:50:37 AM »
my brother in law is a huge fan though and is one of those guys who bought sattlight radio because he can not live without howard stern.
I'm one of those guys. It turns out that Sirius has some other programming that I like as well. Lots of different music stations, and yes, Hannity too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:13:03 AM »
I don't know what Howard made on broadcast radio, but I know that his contract with Sirius is $500 million over 5 years. I suspect that this broadcast deal was far short of that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 04:20:35 AM »
You're a pal Fistful. Though I don't wanna take away from Mike's original thread, which if he woulda given it a more intuitive name, I wouldn't have duped it in the first place. Tongue Tongue Cheesy

I had Sirius before Stern.  I was mad that they took him on. It killed off one of my stations and re-addressed a bunch more. I hate re-doing my radio memory almost as much as I hate Daylight Savings Time. Cheesy

Justin

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 07:33:25 AM »
When a person manages to turn fart jokes and prank phone calls into a 100 million dollar a year business, I dont think they need much in the way of economic education.
Hi-yA!  Take *that* centrally planned economic theories!
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »
"When a person manages to turn fart jokes and prank phone calls into a 100 million dollar a year business, I dont think they need much in the way of economic education."

That just proves that if you find a niche... Smiley

Actually, as much of a bastard as Stern can be, including his "I INVENTED EVERYTHING!" in regards to talk radio, which is a crock of festering crapola, you have to give the man credit.

And anyone who can get divorced one month and take up with Angie Everheart the next gets extra points in my book.

As for satellite radio, I've contemplated getting it, but at this point in time I'm not going to. My company runs some OK deals on XM equipment now and again, but certainly nothing special. I was going to get it a couple of years ago when I headed across country on vacation, but got a car DVD player instead.

Now days I've got Yahoo Launchcast online radio service for the music. I'm listening to the Big Hits of the '80s station as I type this. Until a few weeks ago I could also stream it into my office, but the company I subcontract to just shut down most forms of streaming audio.

Bastards.

w turner

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
Ehhh, it's Howie.  Sounds pretty egotistical for him to expect all of his fans to fork over $50 for a reciever plus the subscription fees just to listen to him.    

I am an avid listener of Opie and Anthony on XM and they absolutely hate Howard Stern.  If even half the crap they say about him is true, then it sounds like he is getting exactly what he deserves.

RRRRRAMONE!!!!!!!!!!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 09:51:25 AM »
O&A used to be on the Infinity Stations.

In DC it was Stern, O&A, Don & Mike (local guys), and Ron & Fez.

Stern hated everyone, and everyone hated Stern. D&M and O&A started out liking each other, but then something happened and they went to war right around the same time that D&M started doing some of their shows from the studios in New York where O&A and Ron & Fez were based. Then O&A did their Sex in the City where two of their contestants got caught having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral, and they were fired.

Generally I liked O&A, but their supporting cast, especially Norton, Black Earl, and Stalker Patty just freaking GRATED on my nerves.

publius

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
It's fascinating to me that people who know little enough about Stern to actually take those quotes in the hit-piece article seriously will then display their ignorance on the net.

For those who haven't yet been hit in the head with a clueball, Stern was making a JOKE, and the idiot reporter twisted it into an angry attack on fans.

He also left off a little something at the end of the article:
Stern, along with almost every legal expert who has commented on the case,
 has claimed the lawsuit is without merit.
LOL!
WAAAAAAH! After I gave him permission to talk about his new job, and after I created several different "dump" circuits controlled solely by my managers, he actually talked about his new job on the airwaves I control!!! And I made a TON of money, because people were interested! AND THAT WAS WRONG!!!