Author Topic: The amount of crap that I have...  (Read 1060 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The amount of crap that I have...
« on: April 02, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »
thrown out this afternoon is simply incredible.

I decided that it was high time that I cleaned my office. I'm looking at some of this crap, scratching my head, and saying to myself "What the hell were you thinking in keeping THIS?"

I just found the welcome kit from when I joined my current company almost 7.5 years ago. None of the stuff in it is current, yet I kept it for some reason. (You know, you'd think that a multi-billion dollar fortune 500 company would do a better job on their new employee packages).

I have no clue what all these 3.5" floppies are for. I'll have to fire up the old computer (new one doesn't have a drive and see what's on them. If it's not worth keeping, they're going in the garbage.

Being a packrat just couldn't suck worse.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
Solution: sell your house and buy an RV Wink  (or better yet, a backpack!)

It's even worse for use country folk - you gotta keep almost everything because you never know when something will break and you can patch it with a piece of junk instead of driving to town.  That, and people keep giving things to us.  I now have a bunch of hardwood flooring that my back hurts too much to install, and a 20' flatbed trailer with no deck and no title.

And in my office I have a bunch of client records from when I used to do taxes ... I figure if they ever get audited then I will have to prove the numbers I put on their returns.  But it's been 10 yrs now so maybe I should just burn it all ...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »
One word, Mike.......Ebay!
Just make sure that when you take photos, that you are naked and photographing a reflective surface.
cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 03:43:50 PM »
Unfortunately, NONE of this stuff is Ebay, or even swap, worthy.

I mean, who in the hell would want an SAIC orientation packet that 7 years out of date?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Unfortunately, NONE of this stuff is Ebay, or even swap, worthy.

I mean, who in the hell would want an SAIC orientation packet that 7 years out of date?
You'll never know until you try! Close to 300 million folks in the US, there has to be at least 1 who collects stuff like that.

Ok, I'm taking my tongue out of my cheek now. Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »
Well, I managed to get rid of one thing to a (relatively) good home...

Mtnbkr is taking my 3rd edition American Heritage dictionary for his daughter.

Oh holy crap...

The thing weights about 10 pounds.

She's going to drop it on me! What have I done!??!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
Make sure you look up as you enter our house next time...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »
"look up..."

Screw that. I've got a chain saw, I'm coming in through the roof!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »
Yeah, but do you have a ladder that'll get you on top of a 3 story townhouse?  I certainly don't, that's why I had to pay someone to hammer a gutterspike back in for me last year.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 11:42:41 AM »
Where there's absolute, mind numbing terror, there's a way.

...has left the building.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:37:17 PM »
I am the slayer of pack rat-age. I get rid of anything unless it has current sentimental or functional value.