Author Topic: Source of glass pipe?  (Read 8181 times)

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Source of glass pipe?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
You might want to check with dairy suppliers. Much of the piping these days is stainless steel but I'd wager a big chunk of (your) money that glass is still used for some applications in the dairy industry. Years ago, *lots* of the piping was glass - good stuff, too.

I believe that it tends to run in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch inside diameter.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »
Last time I was at a modern dairy operation, about 12-15 years ago, there was still TONS of glass tubing in use.

Lots of glass tubes on the big storage tanks to show tank levels.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys; now I have some sources I can start pricing.

Are you using ammonia in your chiller?

Yes, and it's making component and seal material choices difficult!  Apparently ammonia + water gets past the oxide layer and eats aluminum parts.  undecided
I can believe it.  I've used ammonia to etch copper circuit boards in a pinch.  It isn't ideal, but it does manage to dissolve away the copper.  It's actually pretty cool to watch.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys; now I have some sources I can start pricing.

Yes, and it's making component and seal material choices difficult!  Apparently ammonia + water gets past the oxide layer and eats aluminum parts.  undecided
I can believe it.  I've used ammonia to etch copper circuit boards in a pinch.  It isn't ideal, but it does manage to dissolve away the copper.  It's actually pretty cool to watch.

I always used Hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide mixed as an expedient etchant.  It actually works very well, and both ingredients are cheap and available.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
I used to like throwing pennies in the nitric acid tank to watch them fizzle like alka seltzer and make orange smoke.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
I used to like throwing pennies in the nitric acid tank to watch them fizzle like alka seltzer and make orange smoke.

Green smoke is prettier, like that produce by dumping bleach into a mild acid solution. Just don't breath it. <Big Evil Grin>

If you're still looking for suppliers, I can vouch for Allen Scientific Glass ( http://www.allenglass.com/ ) for quality.  Used to use them for flasks and transfer vessels back when I worked in Biotech since they are local (Boulder, CO).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

I always used Hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide mixed as an expedient etchant.  It actually works very well, and both ingredients are cheap and available.
That's what I use when I have the choice.  In fact, I just finished etching a pair of boards that way, not 15 minutes ago.  They're sitting in my sink right now, soaking in acetone.

But there was one occasion where we needed a board for a group project, and we had to get it one that night.  We managed to scrounge up some industrial strength ammonia cleaner from a janitor's closet.  The stuff stank like all hell, but it got the job done.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 03:16:42 PM »
That's why they use cold rolled steel and stainless steel in them. They use uh, zinc chromate in the water solution to inhibit the steel being corroded by the water. Aluminum will not work. Nor will copper, brass etc.

One thing about ammonia, there's never any doubt as to whether there's a leak or not.  cheesy

Tell me about it. Had a major ammonia leak at work one or two years ago. Had to evacuate the building and call in the fire department to sanitize the place Tongue.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 05:55:13 PM »
My Father had a blue print machine that used 28% aqueous ammonia as the developer.

Changing the bottles, if you spilled some?

Holy crap!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.