Author Topic: Movie gun gaffes  (Read 8169 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Movie gun gaffes
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
Open Range, in other respects a great movie, has Costner fanning his SAA at least 9 times into a baddie.  Damnit.
Watched it last night.  Starting with Costner's opening shot I count 16 on-camera rounds out of his pistol before he switches over to the rifle.  

I take it neither one of you ever saw an old cowboy movie starring folks with names like Gene Autry or Roy Rogers, who seem to have routinely carried 50- and 100- shooters?  ;)

Actually, my #1 movie gun peeve is how quiet guns are; even after a prolonged INDOOR firefight with everything from magnum pistols to high powered rifles and large caliber machine guns, the characters - none of whom wear ear protection - can still communicate in whispers. (Blackhawk Down was one of the few movies where the effect of muzzle blast on hearing was mentioned.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:50:16 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »

Actually, my #1 movie gun peeve is how quiet guns are; even after a prolonged INDOOR firefight with everything from magnum pistols to high powered rifles and large caliber machine guns, the characters - none of whom wear ear protection - can still communicate in whispers.

That bugs me too.  Last week I saw an assassin with a .308 rifle and the good guy with a high-powered handgun (I don't remember what, I think it was something like a .357 magnum 2" or 3" revolver) shooting it out in the metal hold of a boat.  Multiple shots fired.  No ear plugs.

"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »
Actually, my #1 movie gun peeve is how quiet guns are; even after a prolonged INDOOR firefight with everything from magnum pistols to high powered rifles and large caliber machine guns, the characters - none of whom wear ear protection - can still communicate in whispers. (Blackhawk Down was one of the few movies where the effect of muzzle blast on hearing was mentioned.)

I don't think we can really complain about most of the chatting that goes on during Hollywood firefights. Even when a film is recreating actual events (like Blackhawk Down), a good narrative has to keep moving, keep advancing the plot, keep our interest. Dialogue is one of the main ways of doing that.

But you're right about the whispering. That, at least, they could avoid.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
I don't know how many times I've seen the "without magazine gun can have no bang!" flaw.

Didn't they do the same thing in the Tommy Lee Jones flik U.S. Marshals?

Yep. Tommy swapped magazines on the bad guy, but he didn't rack the slide, so later on when the bad guy shot at him, he would have had that one live round that was already in the chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppR87YayQk&feature=relmfu

Right at the start of the clip ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »
Not sure what's worse; the gun gaffes or the law gaffes. I just watched an episode of Criminal Minds where one of the suspects had bought a pistol from an FFL in Chicago. Seven years ago.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »
(Blackhawk Down was one of the few movies where the effect of muzzle blast on hearing was mentioned.)

Also Archer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
I take it neither one of you ever saw an old cowboy movie starring folks with names like Gene Autry or Roy Rogers, who seem to have routinely carried 50- and 100- shooters?  ;)

While it was emphasized as part of a plot device, the climax of CopLand addressed it pretty well.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
Oh, the gun blast thing reminds me of the loooooong ricochet noises.  Indoors.  Pwaaaaaaaaaaaaang.  Yeah, possibly in a large warehouse or an airplane hangar or even an underground parking lot, but still.

And sometimes it's the identical pwaaaaaaaaaaaaang repeated several times.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:48:57 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »

as well as the small phht of a silencer. 

also,  there is a western where clint puts one round in his empty single action, spins the cylinder and shoots the bad guy.  yes, he is that good. 

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

zahc

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Most recently I watched Rango which had a colt SAA-type gun with a swing-out cylinder. But there's more...the cylinder swung out the RIGHT side of the revolver.

I find this especially interesting because obviously some concept artist had to create the model for that gun, and then several different people no doubt had to work on rendering the 3D model for that thing. Before doing all that work, you think someone would, you know, look at a real gun, or know something about what a gun actually is. It would be like rendering a horse but with the knees bending the wrong way or something. It could be deliberate, but I can't imagine why.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
Most recently I watched Rango which had a colt SAA-type gun with a swing-out cylinder. But there's more...the cylinder swung out the RIGHT side of the revolver.

I find this especially interesting because obviously some concept artist had to create the model for that gun, and then several different people no doubt had to work on rendering the 3D model for that thing. Before doing all that work, you think someone would, you know, look at a real gun, or know something about what a gun actually is. It would be like rendering a horse but with the knees bending the wrong way or something. It could be deliberate, but I can't imagine why.

Are you sure the footaged didn't get flipped in post production?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Oh, the gun blast thing reminds me of the loooooong ricochet noises.  Indoors.  Pwaaaaaaaaaaaaang.  Yeah, possibly in a large warehouse or an airplane hangar or even an underground parking lot, but still.

And sometimes it's the identical pwaaaaaaaaaaaaang repeated several times.

How about how every monster or wild creature in every movie sounds like the same mountain lion sample?
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »

That was a real gun: Savage 101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQSY-bRBZM
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
revolver not pistol myth make head hurt   :facepalm: