Author Topic: Longest you've ever driven  (Read 8155 times)

natedog

• friend
Longest you've ever driven
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:51:06 AM »
What's the longest road trip you've ever made? Mine's only about 12 hours from Dallas, TX to Rexford, KS.

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:22:04 PM »
Without stopping except for gas and stuff?  That'd be Austin, TX to San Francisco, CA.  Second is Saint Paul, MN to Austin, TX.  Third place would be Opelika, AL to San Marcos, TX.  The first is 1789 miles, the next 1195 miles, and the last is 859 miles, all according to Mapquest.  Y'all probably don't want to know my average speed, do you?
If I figure it in hours, that'll tell you how fast I was going.
Just thinking about those trips makes me tired.

James

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:36:27 PM »
Solo trip from Charlottesville, VA to Seattle, WA.  Total miles = 3000.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:41:14 PM »
By myself, without stopping for anything other than gas/food?  Midland to Houghton, MI.  Roughly 500 miles, snow extended the trip to about 10 hours.

As for driving on a vacation, with others, stopping for the night?  Midland, MI to Glacier NP in Montana.  I think it took something like 32 or 34 hours of actual driving, and about 2000 miles.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »
PA to Dallas only stopping for food / gas/ restroom. 22 hrs.

Normally I can do PA to back here in AR in 16 1/2 hrs.   Next time I will try another route to avoid some unfriendly places.

I used to run from AR to Houston, or Dallas  stay for an hour or two , turn around and head back quite often.

These were trips all by myself btw.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:21:39 PM »
D.C. to Reno, NV, 2 1/2 days. Longest day was 19 hrs. NH to Dallas. MT to ME (29 hrs). MA to FL.  I also used to drive from DC to ME all the time to visit family, that's about 11 hrs.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Preacherman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 02:30:41 PM »
Longest trip without a sleepover:  Philadelphia to New Orleans, with another driver to help.  22 hours.  Longest trip with sleepovers:  I've done the trip from Toronto, Canada, through New Hampshire, down to Louisiana, several times.  Usually takes four days.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 02:51:13 PM »
I am the queen of road trips!

Longest bike ride in one day (as a passenger) Knoxville, TN, to Fort Wayne, IN..via Ashville, NC (don't even ask. I mean it.)

I drove to DC with one kid 5 years ago. Drove from Sandusky, Ohio to Shennendoah National Park in one day. Drove into DC the next day.

Took 5 kids in a minivan (by myself) from Michigan to Liberty Island, and up into Connecticut.
The long day's drive that trip was from Michigan to East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania..or the trip back, from Honesdale back to Michigan.
The trip back involved the words "Hey, something just blew off the van" and "Alex just threw up on my book." That was a fun day.

Lots of trips from the bottom of Michigan to the top, both on bike and in an auto.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
Course, I'm the chick who drives 75 miles each way to work everyday. Smiley

Greg Levy

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »
Drove from Groton, Ct to Bremerton, Wa after getting married.

And as if that wasn't far enough, we had to detour to Quincy, Ma to pick up a rocking chair for my mom prior to heading west!

greg

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »
In college, with some friends, about 1,100 miles in one day. We traded off, though, on the driving.

By myself? 972 miles a few years ago on my way from Pennsylvania to Southern Illinois to see friends.

On the way back, from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, about 950 miles.

Both of those were in one day, with stops only for gas and to grab dinner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 03:20:39 PM »
5000-plus mile road trip from Hillsboro, OR to the Midwest stormchasing a few years ago.
Five tornados, baseball size hail, lightning out the wahzoo.
Cool trip.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 03:40:20 PM »
I've personally only driven 6.5 hours, but we used to drive from Columbia, Tn to Goldsboro, Nc when I was in elementary and Jr High.  

Chris

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 03:46:58 PM »
Clovis NM to Lorain Ohio nonstop.  Well, we stopped to use the facilities, eat and gas up.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 03:52:53 PM »
Kingman AZ to Pueblo CO.  Left Kingman at 6:30 am and arrived Pueblo at 12:30 am.  That would be 18 hrs stopping only for meals and gas.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »
Oh, I completely forgot about the day trips to Camp Perry.  4 hours one way, 3-4 hours of gun shopping, 4 hours home Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 04:04:12 PM »
Way too many miles at once way too many times. No more.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 04:57:40 PM »
Nonstop?  Probably around 20 hours.

Longest steady cross-country run?  From Austin, TX, to WashDC to deliver a race car; then down to Lake Placid, Florida, to pick up some estate stuff and then back home.

About three or four round trips a year from Thomasville, GA, to Terlingua...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »
Whew!

Nice to know I am in good company.

When  I bought my first and only brand spanking new vehicle, a Truck, part of the deal was free oil changes every 3K miles for awhile. One gets the funniest look when you come in for a oil change and the dealer says " weren't you just in here for a oil change? Goes out and checks the Odometer, checks the service log and  in 8 days time you are due for another one. Cheesy

P95Carry

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 05:56:04 PM »
I can't set any records compared with some - Art and Steve seem to be ''up there''!!

Two years ago Bonnie and I left Wilson Ave Pueblo earlyish and headed East.  We stopped of course a coupla times or so but headed for a rendezvous in SW MO for evening meal with friends, just East of Joplin.  Crossed most of KS to South on 160 IIRC ... pretty good run apart from my one traffic stop (LOL) ...... approx 700 miles and 11 and a bit hours.  Hmmm - the math makes that look less than - hrmmmm - perfect!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

matis

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 06:10:10 PM »
Just got back, yesterday, from New Haven CT.  Took me 19 hrs to get there, non-stop, except for gas-ups, during which I ate and answered nature -- 1030 mi.

Picked up my daughter at her dorm.  Slower going back 'cause she "needed" to stop more.

Used to drive every year from Los Angeles to Montreal via NYC, with a 2nd driver, non-stop as above.  Would do 1100mi every 24 hours, in a VW bug, and get to NYC  in about 2.5 days.

Once drove L.A. to Alaska highway, which was itself 1300 mile of dirt (not gravel -- dirt -- in 1968), and then on to Anchorage -- one other driver.  Don't remember the total distance or time, but we got there quick.

Once I get my second wind driving, I just keep going 'till I'm there.

On one trip to L.A. almost there, a cop stopped me for weaving.  Instead of ticketing me, told me to pull over somewhere and get some sleep.  I'm probably lucky to be still here -- just a driving fool.

I never got over my love of cars and driving.  I remember a magazine cover around 1968 showing business guru, Peter Drucker sitting astride a globe (earth -- they were showing him as "on top of the world"), grinning impishly and saying, "Here I am 50 years old and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Well, I'm way past 50 and I still don't know, either.  But I do know that I love my truck.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 06:30:23 PM »
Hmm: Norman to Denver just over 700 miles made it 3 times with a 4th in August.

Moore, OK to St. Augustine FL ~1250 miles.  Had friends on this one but they all slept on the way home.

Norman to Perryton, TX ~ 300 miles.  Made this every week on Friday and Sunday for a summer.  During the week I pumped oil wells and drove for 8 hours about 300 miles a day. So a little over 2000 miles a week for 3 months.

I turn 22 in Oct.

My parents rodeoed professionally through college and afterwards they have a few miles under them.

My dad still hauls horses cross-country and recently did a 24 hour trip that averaged 60 MPH.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 07:33:30 PM »
On at least a couple of occasions I've done 1100 or 1200 miles on a motorcycle in 24 hours or less.

I recall once, driving solo doing 1900+ miles from MN to So CA in 32 hours.  Wuz during the 55 mph speed limit, too.

Regardless, these guys go way beyond anything I'd want to try:

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

and look at:

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm

I know several people who've completed an Iron Butt Rally.  A minimum of 11,000 miles in 11 days on a motorcycle.  My butt is just too tender for that kind of abuse.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 11:48:24 PM »
Longest trip total was a family driving trip from Seattle to Washington DC and back again. We took out time and saw all the cool stuff inbetween.

Longest straight through marathon trip was a solo drive from seattle to san francisco. I left in the middle of the night and got there by the afternoon.

kayak bum

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 12:42:47 AM »
Northeastern Maryland to New Orleans in 16 hours (best time).  New Orleans to (almost) El Paso in 20 hours.