Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy S23  (Read 299 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Samsung Galaxy S23
« on: February 21, 2023, 02:11:24 PM »
They're just being released.

Anyone get one yet? Thoughts?

I'm with AT&T, and I'm getting offers to upgrade my phone to the S23, free, by trading in my S20.

I may swing by the AT&T store this weekend to take a look at one...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S23
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 02:21:41 PM »
SWMBO and I got S22's late last year. We both like them, a lot, but we were coming from S10's so it was a big upgrade. Is there a significant performance/feature jump between the 20 and 23?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 03:54:13 PM »
I upgraded from my S8 to the S22. Decent enough phone, pretty good camera interfaces with my Motorcycle navigation app.
It did not have a propper headphone jack. Sure a bluetooth headset/earbuds would work just fine but the aux input on my Jeeps radio don't bluetooth.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 04:09:20 PM »
I upgraded from my S8 to the S22. Decent enough phone, pretty good camera interfaces with my Motorcycle navigation app.
It did not have a propper headphone jack. Sure a bluetooth headset/earbuds would work just fine but the aux input on my Jeeps radio don't bluetooth.

USB C to 3.5mm dongle.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 04:18:01 PM »
I'm using a Galaxy A11 from Tracfone. I suppose this would be considered an "entry level" phone but I can make and send calls, texts, images, and live video chat, download stuff from the web, assign ringtones, check the weather forecast, and lots of other stuff, so it does what I need . . . for only about $7 a month.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 04:29:31 PM »
I have a S21+ that will probably take me to my grave. That being said I have read a few things about the S23. One concerning thig I saw a quick blurb on but did not look at was a display issue on the bottom right corner (?).

https://www.sammobile.com/news/all-the-reasons-to-upgrade-from-galaxy-s20-ultra-to-galaxy-s23-ultra/

https://screenrant.com/galaxy-s23-vs-galaxy-s20/

I see an upgrade from something as recent as an S20 to the S23 as unnecessary, but if it is free why not?

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 05:25:15 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3J6Z6SZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a different phone last Fall.  However, if you need new chargers, I got these and they are excellent.  Decent voltage/power and charges my phone pretty fast.  I end up watching a lot of youtube/Rumble stuff on my phone and that seems to suck the battery down. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 05:37:48 PM »
I end up watching a lot of youtube/Rumble stuff on my phone and that seems to suck the battery down. 

I have the 22 Ultra. It has a monster battery. The only time I've been able to run the battery down in a single day was spending the entire day watching nonstop movies in an environment that required high screen brightness. Most days I get home with 70-plus percent battery life remaining.

Brad
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 06:47:55 PM »
I have the 22 Ultra. It has a monster battery. The only time I've been able to run the battery down in a single day was spending the entire day watching nonstop movies in an environment that required high screen brightness. Most days I get home with 70-plus percent battery life remaining.

Brad

More BTU's to use up when it catches fire?  ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 07:30:47 PM »
"It did not have a propper headphone jack."

Neither does my 20.

But, if you drill a 3.5mm hole in the upper right corner of the screen, you can plug your headphones in there.

" Is there a significant performance/feature jump between the 20 and 23?"

If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't have posted this question.

I like my 20, but it does have some annoyances. One is a persistent issue with auto focus. Multiple software updates have failed to resolve that issue.

Another one, on my personal phone, is that the nearfield charge coil crapped out. Not a huge thing, but I really do like not having to tether it to charge it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »
"I see an upgrade from something as recent as an S20 to the S23 as unnecessary, but if it is free why not?"

That's sort of the direction that I'm leaning.

I have the standard S20, and I doubt that I'll upgrade to the S23 Ultra because of its larger form factor. I know I shouldn't, but I carry my cell phone in my front pocket, and anything larger is going to be a problem .

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 07:35:27 PM »
Apparently the camera on the 23 has a 50 megapixel resolution; my S20 only has 12MP resolution.