Author Topic: Nazi UFO model kit pulled off the shelves  (Read 858 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Nazi UFO model kit pulled off the shelves
« on: June 23, 2018, 10:16:47 AM »
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a21750317/nazi-ufo-model-taken-off-shelves-for-historical-inaccuracy/

There is no actual proof that the Haunebu was built, so German authorities protested the model as supporting the Nazi superscience myth.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Nazi UFO model kit pulled off the shelves
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
Do you think they will go after Captian America next?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
I've seen that steam punk Nazi ....uh...er,  "flying saucer ---pressure cooker"   and it has never been marketed as anything BUT  some theoretical concept of a Nazi UFO, but no explanation for lift or propulsion has ever been proposed .... atleast none from a world outside that Fox Mulder would comprehend ...
The Nazis designed a lot of sometimes strange aircraft that never saw production.
Google up "Treibflugel"  if you want to see something that would perplex a B-17 pilot flying against the Dritte Reich had it lasted until 1947.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:37 PM »

Looks a lot like something from an old TV show . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »
Looks like the chicken coop light fixtures that were photographed years ago and passed off as flying saucers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 11:03:15 PM »

Looks a lot like something from an old TV show . . .

I guess that must prove the Nazi UFO was real .... 'cause where else would Quinn Martin have gotten his UFO design from? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »
Big money to be made for those who saw this first and got themselves a pallet of Nazi UFOs.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 04:30:35 AM »
"[It] drew criticism because its lack of disclosure that the craft never existed or flew, plays into prevalent, ahistorical narratives that overestimate the Nazi's level of technology and scientific innovations and serve to mythologize the fascist regime."

Wellllll, now, they sure threw a bunch of surprises at us, now, didn't they?

"But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science."
--Churchill

Perverted science:

A mere extension of contemporary technology:

Another mere extension of contemporary technology:

Not an extension of contemporary technology (skipping stones across the stratosphere):

https://youtu.be/nT2LK0VC5NE (2:58)

Beware of using the word "impossible."

(Edited to add bolding)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:20:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Interesting visually, detailed, on the "Heavy Gustav" cannon.  Not sure what language that is, though.

https://youtu.be/-_jU10x2ZCs
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 10:59:11 PM »

The Allies had the same ideas, but never put a great deal of effort into developing them.  The Germans put a lot of money and effort into rockets and jet engines that the Allies did not.  I think the story of the British canceling research on their own jets engines for a time is well known.  They had jet fighters late in the war though not as good as the Germans.  If the US had a jet fighter as good as the German fighter, would that have helped us?  The German jets lacked the range to do much but defend against the bomber attacks.  I was also thinking that GE talked to the Army about jet engine development during the war, but they weren't interested at the time.  I am sure we could have used them, I am just not sure where it would have made a big impact.  

Dr. Robert H. Goddard did a great deal of rocket testing and research in the US and later helped develop the rocket propelled grenade (bazooka).  I believe I heard that von Braun said he based a lot of his early work on Goddard's research and testing.  

The Germans did have a lot of stuff in development and into production at the end of the war, I just have my doubts whether it would have changed anything even if the war lasted another couple years.  I guess the one thing that would change the equation is if we both ended up with nuclear bombs.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 02:59:07 AM »
Interesting visually, detailed, on the "Heavy Gustav" cannon.  Not sure what language that is, though.

https://youtu.be/-_jU10x2ZCs

Portugese.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
The Allies had the same ideas, but never put a great deal of effort into developing them.  The Germans put a lot of money and effort into rockets and jet engines that the Allies did not.  I think the story of the British canceling research on their own jets engines for a time is well known.  They had jet fighters late in the war though not as good as the Germans.  If the US had a jet fighter as good as the German fighter, would that have helped us?  The German jets lacked the range to do much but defend against the bomber attacks.  I was also thinking that GE talked to the Army about jet engine development during the war, but they weren't interested at the time.  I am sure we could have used them, I am just not sure where it would have made a big impact.
My Dad told me he was on a troop train somewhere in the desert southwest in 1943(?), when the train was "buzzed" by an aircraft - with no propellers! - that was a lot faster than the P-51s the pilots had trained on - it made a couple of passes over the train, and then circled it while climbing at a rate that was "unbelievable" at the time.

The group was told in no uncertain terms that they didn't see anything and they weren't to talk about what they didn't see.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
The Allies had the same ideas, but never put a great deal of effort into developing them.  The Germans put a lot of money and effort into rockets and jet engines that the

Dislectical me, the second time I read that I read it as "The Aliens had the same ideas, but never...."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
My Dad told me he was on a troop train somewhere in the desert southwest in 1943(?), when the train was "buzzed" by an aircraft - with no propellers! - that was a lot faster than the P-51s the pilots had trained on - it made a couple of passes over the train, and then circled it while climbing at a rate that was "unbelievable" at the time.

The group was told in no uncertain terms that they didn't see anything and they weren't to talk about what they didn't see.

So the aliens helped us win WWII. I knew it all along.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
I want to believe!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.