Author Topic: UK: Man fined for carrying candy for self-defense  (Read 4941 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
UK: Man fined for carrying candy for self-defense
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
 Man fined for carrying gobstopper

A man caught carrying a large gobstopper in a sock has been fined £400 after it was found to be an offensive weapon.

Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked.

At Edinburgh Sheriff Court he admitted carrying the snooker ball-sized gobstopper and sock at a city leisure centre on 19 December last year.

Defence agent Matthew Nicholson said the sweet was "a substantial piece of confectionary" which could be eaten.

The court heard how unemployed Harvey, from the Maybury area of Edinburgh, kept the gobstopper under his car seat.

He was caught at Drumbrae Leisure Centre by police who were searching for cannabis.

Sheriff Kenneth McIver told him that, even though it was not in the same category as a knife or axe, it was capable of inflicting a nasty injury.

"You will be aware of the ongoing national debate on offensive weapons including knives," he told Harvey.

"But all too often this court has to consider other improvised weapons like this."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7554912.stm

This, btw, is a gobstopper.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: UK: Man fined for carrying candy for self-defense
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
Wow.  Wonder if tire-irons are outlawed over there?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »
A snooker ball sized gobstopper? Where the heck does one get those, and how do you eat it? shocked
Andy

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
believe it or not this would also be illegal in much of the US.

they would call it a blackjack,or sandclub.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
Apparently, a snooker is a pool ball?
At first I thought this was ridiculous, but if it has the weight, I can understand this.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »
Pathetic ...  sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »
From the title, I was picturing a sharpened candy cane.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »
I'd like to take this moment to thank all who fought and died in the Revolutionary War, ensuring our rights to transport candy in any manner we see fit. rolleyes
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Rovi

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »
Apparently, a snooker is a pool ball?
At first I thought this was ridiculous, but if it has the weight, I can understand this.
English Snooker balls are slightly smaller than American Pool balls (2 1/8" vs. 2 1/4") and have no specified weight, but they are made of the same materials and as the Pool ball weighs 5.5-6 oz, the Snooker ball would be of similar weight too.
I wouldn't fancy getting hit by one by any means, let along swung in the end of a sock.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Nor would I like to be struck with $2.50 worth of pennies contained in a pair of stockings.  Still, aren't we approaching the limits of credulity in defining 'weapon'?  Reducing it immediately to absurdity, must we keep the ground free of rocks and sticks?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »
Just carry a ball, bat, baseball glove, and a baseball uniiform in your car within sight and easy reach.  You might get away with it, but probably not.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »
Just carry a ball, bat, baseball glove, and a baseball uniiform in your car within sight and easy reach.  You might get away with it, but probably not.

Certainly not in the UK.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
A cricket bat, then.

But it isn't the form that makes it illegal, it's the intent, or the using of it.  If a gimpy old gent were to defend himself with his cane, he'd probably be charged.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 06:14:46 AM »
Don't worry, soon we will be air-dropping thousands of Liberator pistols.....

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »
Don't worry, soon we will be air-dropping thousands of Liberator pistols.....

I think we should drop into California before the UK!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 06:32:21 AM »
. . . Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked.

At Edinburgh Sheriff Court he admitted carrying the snooker ball-sized gobstopper and sock at a city leisure centre on 19 December last year.
Sounds like the idiot admitted to carrying it as a weapon, thus establishing intent. If he'd denied any intent of using it as a weapon - it WAS candy after all - he'd just be another eccentric for carrying a snack in a sock.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »
In "certain places" where I am not allowed to carry weapons, I will often take a roll of quarters with me.

Why?

"So I can make a phone call if I need to."  rolleyes

It also, coincidentally, makes my fist weigh a LOT more and hurt more if I need to punch something.

And... it's really hard to ban money for a pay phone from places like airports.

This gobstopper might have been easier to "conceal" if it were in a plastic sack (walmart or target-style sack) and still in its retail wrapper.

"No sir, I just bought this down the block, and I fancy I'll enjoy it on the couch back at home while I watch Gordon Ramsey tell us all to sod off."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

agricola

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 07:15:08 AM »
. . . Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked.

Sounds like the idiot admitted to carrying it as a weapon, thus establishing intent. If he'd denied any intent of using it as a weapon - it WAS candy after all - he'd just be another eccentric for carrying a snack in a sock.

Indeed.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »
America still has coin-using pay phones?

Haven't they died out in the late 90's with the advent of the pre-paid calling card and the cellphone?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
Haven't they died out in the late 90's with the advent of the pre-paid calling card and the cellphone?

Nope.

I still use one every once in a while, when I'm traveling and out of cellphone range. And coins are much more convenient than pre-paid calling card, unless you use the pay phone often.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
There aren't any here. All gone.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
I've noticed a couple at Walmart, but they hide them well, as if in disgrace. 

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
I think we should drop into California before the UK!

I don't think that's what the "drop test" is about.   laugh

Many of us here are quite well armed, despite everything. 

Can someone add some cold water to the bath?  My green skin can't take much more of this...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.