Author Topic: FedGuv/HHS steals GPL code  (Read 5206 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: FedGuv/HHS steals GPL code
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
I'm going on the angle of why they allowed their code to exist out in the wild.  Freeware, shareware, etc.  It's done for a reason.

It's their name on it, it's their brand mark, and free advertising for them.  It is very much potential income. 

Taking somebody's code, mucking with it, or calling it your own without proper attribution is quite similar to plagiarism on one's term paper. 

Oleg had to go after folks stealing his images and using them on anti-gun sites.

I myself had to get into someone's chili on Auction Arms, because the rifle photo of the gun they were auctioning was lifted from my image collection, leaving my watermark in plain view. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 01:12:46 AM »
All the .dll measuring aside, is it known what organization(s) actually produced the website?
Some of the Obamacare defenders are loudly blaming "private sector" contractors as defense of Sebillious and Obama.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
I'm going on the angle of why they allowed their code to exist out in the wild.  Freeware, shareware, etc.  It's done for a reason.

It's their name on it, it's their brand mark, and free advertising for them.  It is very much potential income. 

Code released under the GPL isn't done for prestige, at least not without some serious branding behind it.  There's no requirement for recognition of the original authors under the GPL.  You just simply have to carry the "copyleft" notice forward.  And if you go with the GPL any changes you made to the orignal also have to fall under the GPL which means the original authors can suck them back into their project if deemed worthy.

The BSD license only requires that you give attribution.  Any changes you made to the orignal can remain closed. 

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
I have written some open source software.  I own the code.  I'm willing to share it.

Got a link to that?  I'd like to see it.

Here's mine:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ripperx/files/ripperx/2.7.3/ripperX-2.7.3.tar.gz/download

If you go through the CHANGE file you'll see my name a couple times.  I don't even recall the time I spent on it, and was surprised that I saw two updates accredited to my name.  I also have no idea what so ever what the "GoGo" mp3 encoder was.  Long time ago I guess.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »

http://www.revdisk.org/projects/backups/

ALv2

There's a bunch of other scrips I need to publish. My generic VBS logon script that about twenty companies use, a bunch of conversion utilities, etc.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Thread drift...

Rev, if you want incremental backups without any work, and you like S3 you should try tarsnap.

Here's my nightly backup routine:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

date=`date +%Y%m%d`

# Dump databases to local disk with dated filenames
/usr/bin/mysqldump --routines -u root -pPASSWORD -h dbmaster obpos > /var/backups/mysql/obpos/obpos_$date.sql
/usr/bin/mysqldump --routines -u root -pPASSWORD -h dbmaster obpos products categories suppliers ticketsnum > /var/backups/mysql/obpos/prod_$date.sql
/usr/bin/mysqldump --compress --routines -u root -pPASSOWRD -h timeclock.countrysidegreenhouse.com timeclock > /var/backups/mysql/timeclock/timeclock_cgfm_$date.sql

# Compress them to save on local storage.
/bin/gzip -f /var/backups/mysql/obpos/obpos_$date.sql
/bin/gzip -f /var/backups/mysql/obpos/prod_$date.sql
/bin/gzip -f /var/backups/mysql/timeclock/timeclock_cgfm_$date.sql

# Create a 'tar' file on S3 with all of my daily backups.  Tarsnap figures out duplicated blocks
# so the same file stored in two 'tar' files isn't counted against the total.
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap -c -f obpos-$date /var/backups/mysql/obpos
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap -c -f timeclock-cgfm-$date /var/backups/mysql/timeclock
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap -c -f svn-$date /usr/local/svn

# Backup SMB shares to tarsnap
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap -c -f WorkFolder-$date /mnt/WorkFolder
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap -c -f SecureFolder-$date /mnt/SecureFolder

# Shove an extra copy of the latest critical DBs offsite and restore them into working order.
/usr/bin/scp /var/backups/mysql/obpos/obpos_$date.sql.gz root@myhouse.biz.tm:/tmp/obposlatest.sql.gz
/usr/bin/scp /var/backups/mysql/obpos/timeclock_$date.sql.gz root@myhouse.biz.tm:/tmp/timeclocklatest.sql.gz
/usr/bin/ssh root@myhouse.biz.tm 'zcat /tmp/obposlatest.sql.gz | mysql -u root -pPASSWORD obpos'
/usr/bin/ssh root@myhouse.biz.tm 'zcat /tmp/timeclocklatest.sql.gz | mysql -u root -pPASSWORD timeclock'

No fussing with only sending incrementals on my end.  Tarsnap does that on its own.  If I shove a 12GB 'tar' file up one day of all new data I get charged for that transfer and continued storage of that.  When I shove another 12GB up the next day, but only 100K in files are different I only transfer and store that 100k. 

I can pull back a snapshot of any DB or any SMB share from any day.  Costs me about 25 cents a day with our current total storage amount which is probably around 16GB.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
Nyet.

I like the idea, and I wouldn't mind borrowing some concepts from it. But it's not FOSS, just open source. And you're not legally allowed to modify the source. It's a service, based on S3. I like controlling my own S3 account.

Edit: I'm looking at http://www.duplicati.com/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:31:51 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »
Since it actually takes a little effort to delete the copyright comments, I am less than amused.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin