Author Topic: People with real estate knowledge:  (Read 4130 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
People with real estate knowledge:
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »
Please tell me what might be going on with houses that are listed at absurdly low prices. If one is interested in such a house, how does one get an idea of actual asking price?

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: People with real estate knowledge:
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
Brad Johnson to the white courtesy phone!

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
Please tell me what might be going on with houses that are listed at absurdly low prices. If one is interested in such a house, how does one get an idea of actual asking price?

Most likely forclosures or auctions.  If they are auctions, that will be the auction starting price.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
"If the price is too good to be true, it probably is."

Caveat emptor.

There is a reason the price is absurdly low.  Besides getting a good structural/mechanical inspection, hire a tile crawler to go over the paperwork with an extra-fine tooth comb to be sure you get a clear and clean title.  And that there is no HOA.

And make repeated visits to the neighborhood at varying times of day and days of the week.  Check the local shopping areas as well.

Last but not least, check to see that the lawn is not composed of three-week old annual rye grass that can grow on a bare cinderblock.  There's nothing like finding out your baked clay ground will not support real vegetation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
Short sales are another reason for lower than normal prices. Besides the obvious fact that prices are just lower.
If you have stellar credit, can get a conventional loan, and have no rush to buy. Then short sales can be a good deal.
But for most of us normal folk they are to be avoided. IMHIO    (I-added for ignorant)
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
I'm not sure exactly where in MI you are looking, but as you know the market is severely depressed in much of MI. 

Three years ago, my wife and I were faced with the Dilemma of moving to the Phoenix area or Mid-Michigan, as she had two job offers at the some time with her company.  Michigan was very tempting, as I was born is Owosso, and have lots of contacts there due to the fact that my family has a 100+ year old business there. 

My wife and I were amazed at the houses, which were thoroughly vetted by people we trust, that we could have simply bought outright with the cash we had saved up for a downpayment while we were living overseas. As you know, so many people in Mid-michigan are so unemployed or underemployed that even the modest prices are often too much. 

A friend of the family that is an attorney in the area who primarily deals with estates, wills, and trusts, informed us that nearly all the sales she is aware of have been VA loans, FHA loans, or land contracts.  Lots of folks don't have the jobs or the credit to get a loan.   My Grandmother passed away about 2 years ago, leaving two properties which my mother and uncle had a lot of trouble selling despite their desirable location and good condition of the homes. Eventually, one property, an older VA home, has been turned into a rental, and the other, a large victorian home near downtown was sold on contract for only about $65k.
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
"If the price is too good to be true, it probably is."

Caveat emptor.

There is a reason the price is absurdly low.  Besides getting a good structural/mechanical inspection, hire a tile crawler to go over the paperwork with an extra-fine tooth comb to be sure you get a clear and clean title.  And that there is no HOA.

And make repeated visits to the neighborhood at varying times of day and days of the week.  Check the local shopping areas as well.

Last but not least, check to see that the lawn is not composed of three-week old annual rye grass that can grow on a bare cinderblock.  There's nothing like finding out your baked clay ground will not support real vegetation.

stay safe.

Quick reminder.  BR is one of our resident Tile-Crawlers, so she might save some money there.  ;)  But yes, home inspector.  Preferably two. with different specialties.  (Carpenter, electrician, structural engineer, etc).

I'm betting that what she's looking at is in the area where she's currently living, metro Detroit, so the bank(s) will probably give you a house if you promise to send in at least couch-cushion money on a monthly basis.   

But if there's one you have your eye on, contact the POC listed on the sign (or the ad, or foreclosure listing in the paper).

Good Luck !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
Speaking of detroit. I'm going up there wednesday for two and a half weeks. Yay me. Unfortunately i'm being forced to fly. How do i know if my pistol case is TSA approved?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
Speaking of detroit. I'm going up there wednesday for two and a half weeks. Yay me. Unfortunately i'm being forced to fly. How do i know if my pistol case is TSA approved?

Never mind. According to XDtalk the factory case seems to work for most folks
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
It means the house is haunted.

1. Buy house.
2. Install cameras and microphones.
3. Option the footage.
4. Profit!!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
any real deals are snapped up by the insiders ASAP
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
I bought a Fannie mae house in MI last month.  I paid less than I did for my truck I bought last year.  Killer deal in the boonies near great fishing.....chris3

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
Where are these "absurdly low listing prices" seen?  If it's on an infomercial or some third-party website, it's bupkis.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
MLS listings. Mostly via homes.com.

So far as neighborhood issues go, I'm looking in my parents'/sister's neighborhood. My family, if you count cousins and such, has a collective total of well over three centuries of experience with the neighborhood.  =D

So far as financing, I'm not. Thinking about either paying cash next summer or paying actual earned cash + free private loan (from local, non-family, non-gov org).  Possibly paying cash and then borrowing against the place for renovations, but would prefer to do that slowly, on my own, with minimal large cash outlays.  Obviously, that depends on the house.

Structural problems... Yeah. Fortunately, I know some people I trust for inspections.

Right now though, I'm just curious how one might follow through on learning a bit more about various offerings--preferably without big outlays of time or interacting with people, and thoughts on the idea in general.

And yeah, the too-good-to-be-true prices aren't. It's a very depressed market here. My aunt and uncle gave their house back to the bank (don't know the details there) when they inherited my grandmother's place. It sold last month for 24k. Sound house, no appliances, missing some cabinets, shabby interior, but sound, new windows/new roof. The buyers--who my mom knows--are happy with it. Three bedroom, nice yard, full basement, 1300 or so sq ft. 24k. Yeah.... I really want to get a house before the market improves.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
I'm not sure exactly where in MI you are looking, but as you know the market is severely depressed in much of MI. 

It's getting better!  BR getting a job moved the state total from 18 to 19 people.

WOO HOO!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
If you want information on homes in a particular area, hook up with a reputable real estate agent.  They can pull you current information, not information that could be days, weeks, and sometimes months out of date on third-party web sites.  They can also get you "learned up" on current market information, lending issues, etc..  In most areas buyer's services are provided at no cost to the client.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »
This will give you some idea as to how bad it is in Detroit.  And it hasn't gotten any better in the last 18 months.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-mayor-of-detroits-radical-plan-to-bulldoze-one-quarter-of-the-city-2010-3

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/87054002.html

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
Look at the Fannie Mae web site.  That is where I found my new house.  The regular real estate listings said it was not available but it was relisted.  chris3