Author Topic: Flying in an F-16 today  (Read 1678 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Flying in an F-16 today
« on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:50 AM »
That's right, I finally get an incentive flight in a fast mover.  Been in the Air Force for 21 years and other than transports and helo's, I get a ride in a F-16 this morning.  Taking off in about 2.5 hours.  Will post some pictures to share the experience.  smiley

crt360

• friend
Re: Flying in an F-16 today
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:16:58 AM »
Sounds like fun.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:38:58 AM »
Sweet.  Tell the pilot that there is no way that you will vomit or pass out.  Make it a challange. grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:46:12 AM »
Cool! The only thing I ever got to ride in was heavies (which is still cool).
NCO of the Year?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
That's cool! Personally, I always wanted to back seat a F14 Tomcat. I'd certainly "settle" for an F-16!

Sorry to veer the thread a little, but I want to ride in this puppy also:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_me262program.htm

Check out the tour dates for their B-17, B-24 and B-25:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 07:14:10 AM »
If you ever have a chance to fly in a WWII warbird, take it.  You won't regret it.
I belonged to the CAF many moons ago, and flew in a number of different warbirds on many occasions.  Mucho fun!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 08:39:32 AM »
That's cool! Personally, I always wanted to back seat a F14 Tomcat. I'd certainly "settle" for an F-16!

Sorry to veer the thread a little, but I want to ride in this puppy also:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ma_me262program.htm

Check out the tour dates for their B-17, B-24 and B-25:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

I've gone up in the B-17. The "Nine-O-Nine" I can post some photos. Smiley

They did NOT fly it in a docile manner, either. Nice hard, tight banks over the airfield. No seats, just crouch somewhere for takeoff, just as they did back then, and you're warned not to fall on the bomb bay doors or lean on any hatches.

There's also quite a difference between seeing a Norden bombsight in a museum, and using a real one to sight on buildings going by down below. Cheesy

I also got to be right behind the copilot for takeoff, because where the rest of the people going up climbed in at the tail hatch and moved forward, I went around front and did the proper crew entry...grab forward hatch, swing up, tuck legs in, throw yourself in, go up to cockpit.

A dawn takeoff on a cold morning with a hesitant engine needing nursing, plus a line of WWII AAC vintage vehicles facing the flight line only made it more "this was what it must have been like."

Definitely do it if you get the chance.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »
I can post some photos.

I would love to see them.

Remington788

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics.  Watch them at work almost every day, to bad they are leaving in 08 (BRAC).

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
How was the trip, Lennyjoe? Afterburners? Hotdogging? Did ya get sick?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »
It's a done deal.  Wow, what a ride.  We took off at 0945 and did a max climb to 10,, aileron roll upside down and right turn to our destination.  The range area was the exact area I hunted last year.  We did some low level work, barrel rolls, 8.5 G turns and had a great time.  The flight was 1 hour long.  I didn't yack but did feel quezzy when we were on our return trip to base.  During all the maneuvers I didn't pass out or get sick.  It was the straight flight back to base that I felt a bit ugly.  Other than that, just a bit of jet lag this afternoon but I'm doing good.  Here's a couple pictures of us prior to flight.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »
We did go into afterburner on take off.  The take off was so damn fast it was over before I knew it.  Did stick me to the seat pretty good. 

I'll have more pictures tomorrow. 

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun. These types of rides are hard to beat, if at all!

I got a couple of fast rides while I was on a boat. The first was a back seat ride in an F4J, launch, 1.5 hr flight and trap. The second was a EA6B, launch, about 2 hours of flying and trap.

I was on the C1A crew for a while, but we never got a cat shot, the plane was too fragile, so we would do a deck run off of the angle deck, there was more than one time I looked up to the flight deck after taking off!

bob

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 12:50:25 AM »
Did stick me to the seat pretty good.
Kinda like when you open up a 351C, right?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 03:14:43 AM »
Did he give you any stick time?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »
Nope, didn't get a chance to run the controls.  We were pretty much in a tight working area due to the F-22 doing a Demo profile about 2 miles to the North of us and an F-15 overseeing the demo profile from the F-22 guy.