Author Topic: Ann Coulter's non-remark about John Edwards  (Read 8041 times)

m1911owner

• friend
Ann Coulter's non-remark about John Edwards
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »
In all the discussion I've heard about Ann Coulter's non-remark about John Edwards, what I haven't heard discussed is this: Is it in fact true?

Does anyone have any info one way or the other?

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Ann Coulter's non-remark about John Edwards
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
What is the non-remark? There are many ways to bash Slick John.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:46:23 AM »
To state it to the best of my memory, she said something like this: "I'd like to talk about John Edwards, but I'm told that if you use the word '*Not nice word for gay men*' you have to go into rehab, so I have nothing to say about him."

I understand that truth is pretty much an unassailable defense against an accusation of slander.  So I'm wondering if it was in fact the truth.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »
Could you really build a slander case on that?  She never said he was a "*Not nice word for gay men*," although the implication was obvious.  And it was obviously meant in jest.  I would think Ann Coulter, of all people, would know exactly what she can get away with. 

Besides, where's the slander?  Being gay is OK, isn't it?   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
It would pass for political comment amongst twelve year olds electing class president. Nowhere else.

Or I live in a fantasy world. Probably the latter.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:05 AM »
He has been referred to as the "Breck Girl" by some.

Its like...Oh My God! Ann Coulter said something outrageous!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 10:28:31 AM »
I saw the video of that.  Pretty funny IMO.  Seriously, that is typical of Ann Coulter.  She uses a lot of that type of humor in her column.  Pulls no punches.  Not everyone likes it, but quite a few do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »
Coulter is a clown who does no end of harm to conservatism in general.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 11:52:52 AM »
Coulter doesn't call Pony Boy a *Not nice word for gay men*: sound & fury, lotsa coverage in MSM, calls for repudiation.

Mahr says her wishes VP Cheney had eaten it in the terrorist attack: <sound of crickets from MSM>

-----------

FWIW, I am kinda cool towards Coulter, but I am not going to get all riled up over such a comment.  There is already too much "Isn't it wonderful*" sensitivity toward and toleration of what ought to be discouraged** on (public & private) health grounds alone.

* "Isn't it wonderful Bob/Jane/whomever is gay and that we are such tolerant and wonderful people, too?"  They ought to rent out their self-satisfied sanctimony by the hour  They'd be monied and sactimonious then.

**By means of moral suasion, reference to data, etc.  Trying to legislate people from killing themselves has a poor track record. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
Coulter doesn't call Pony Boy a *Not nice word for gay men*: sound & fury, lotsa coverage in MSM, calls for repudiation.

Mahr says her wishes VP Cheney had eaten it in the terrorist attack: <sound of crickets from MSM>

Yeah.  Mahr was agreeing with what people wrote into Huffington's blog, wishing for the death of Cheney and such-lilke.  And this right after all the hatred directed toward Zumbo.  And we're supposed to be all ashamed that people said mean things about Zumbo.  Come on.  This is the internet.  People say that kind of crap on the internet.  No story there, really.  A guy like Mahr saying it on TV, though.  That's a little different.   

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »

Their silent agreement is thunderous. Still, I thought Mahr had at least slightly more self-respect than that. Ah-well.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »

-----------

Bill Maher???  I saw the bit and didn't exactly say that he wished the VP died, he just thought a joke about it was funny.  Not nice, but not the same as wishing him dead. 

I used to like Coulter.  While some of the stuff she has to say is funny, she seems to offer nothing in terms of intelligent discussion.  I don't see why she gets invited to speak at public events or on TV shows.  I guess it might help ratings.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »

-----------

Bill Maher???  I saw the bit and didn't exactly say that he wished the VP died, he just thought a joke about it was funny.  Not nice, but not the same as wishing him dead. 

I used to like Coulter.  While some of the stuff she has to say is funny, she seems to offer nothing in terms of intelligent discussion.  I don't see why she gets invited to speak at public events or on TV shows.  I guess it might help ratings.

The same reason why studio execs continue to believe that an orangutang wearing human clothes and doing raspberries is something to feature in a movie because it's somehow "funny".

Coulter is their on-cue equivalent of someone with Tourette's. They put the increasingly-more-unstable and foulmouthed person on because they know they'll say something shocking and cause controversy, which boosts ratings.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
it was over the top, even for her.

Yet I forgive her because she is intelligent and beautiful and funny.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 02:59:13 PM »
Maybe Ann Coulter's comment was inspired by the video that was bouncing around the internet showing Edwards holding what looks like a lady's compact and primping and applying makeup before a TV interview . . . there may be a good explanation (TV makeup and all) but anyone watching the video will not think "manly man" when watching Edwards fard.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »
The biggest problem with Coulter's remarks isn't what she said but where she said them.  That being CPAC and not some college or some place where her remarks would be taken as the joke that they probably were.  Unfortunately for her, CPAC is a bit more mature than that and most of the Republican Presidential candidates were in attendance.  Excepting McCain, who, obviously, had more pressing matters to which he needed to attend.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
I'd do her.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 04:10:54 PM »
Where's the obligatory picture of Ann Coulter?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ron

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »
Ann Coulter proves yet again that she knows exactly how to bait leftists and manipulate the mainstream media.

You'd think they would learn.  Eventually.  Maybe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 05:52:12 PM »
You'd think they would learn.  Eventually.  Maybe.

Why would I think such a silly thing as that?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
What is she aiming at in the picture? Kerry's integrity?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »

He said more than that.  The following is a partial transcript, with controversial comments in bold:

Maher: What about the people who got onto the Huffington Post  and these werent even the bloggers, these were just the comments section  who said they, they expressed regret that the attack on Dick Cheney failed.

Joe Scarborough: Right

Maher: Now&

John Ridley: More than regret.

Maher: Well, what did they say?

Ridley: They said We wish he would die. I mean, it was (?) hate language.

Barney Frank: They said the bomb was wasted. (laughter and applause)

Maher: Thats a funny joke. But, seriously, if this isnt China, shouldnt you be able to say that? Why did Arianna Huffington, my girlfriend, I love her, but why did she take that off right away?

After some discussion about why Huffington should or shouldnt have taken these comments down, the following occurred:

Ridley: Its one thing to say you hate Dick Cheney, which applies to his politics. Its another thing to say, Im sorry he didnt die in an explosion." And I think, you know&

Maher: But you should be able to say it. And by the way...

Frank: Excuse me, Bill, but can I ask you a question? Do you decide what the topics are for this show?

Maher: Yeah, I decide the topics, they dont go there.

Frank: But you exercise control over the show the way that she does over her blog.

Maher: But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldnt be dying needlessly tomorrow. (applause)
Scarborough: If someone on this panel said that they wished that Dick Cheney had been blown up, and you didnt say&

Frank: I think he did.

Scarborough: Okay. Did you say&

Maher: No, no. I quoted that.

Frank: You dont believe that?

Maher: Im just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. Thats a fact.

http://newsbusters.org/stories/maher_sorry_cheney_assasination_attempt_failed.html

That's not quite the same as wishing his death.  But this sort of thing would ruin just about any conservative who dared to say it. 

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 07:08:55 PM »
What is she aiming at in the picture?

I'm not sure, but guessing by her malnourished appearance I'd say she hadn't hit one yet.  cheesy
For entertainment purposes only.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »
What is she aiming at in the picture? Kerry's integrity?
She had better aim small, in that case.
Don