Author Topic: Two fights for the price of one  (Read 4442 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Two fights for the price of one
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
carebear, I agree, but what such questions really reveal is that the person hasn't bothered to investigate the other side of the debate. 

Ian, it's funny you should say that.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n2/worthy-ancestors
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
I agree it would be wrong to say that that argument can prove one religion's creation story over another.  That's one of those things that annoys me about these threads.  But it can show that natural selection is an insufficient mechanism for creating complex structures.

Fair enough.  For what it's worth, this animistic pantheist favors intelligent design over some sort of evolution-from-inanimate-soup, for reasons largely tied to irreducible complexity.  I just haven't bought into biblical Creation.

I don't think serious debaters on either side would make such claims.  The real argument seems to be over which side is best supported by the evidence. 
Hmm.  Perhaps I haven't been paying attention.  I'm used to seeing fanatical proof-by-assertion coming from both camps when this debate arises.  But of course, when you stand far enough back that the volume isn't painful, all you hear is the distant screaming of the nutters; the reasoned debate of the actual thinkers is much the quieter and difficult to hear.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:18 AM »
Over the years, having participated in many of the same kind of debates, I've come to the point where I really think this statement adequately describes how I feel and what I believe...

Don't believe what I believe? That's fine. *expletive deleted*ck you and the horse you rode in on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
[a number of very sensible things were said]

I agree with a lot of what you wrote here. A lot of what you wrote is what I have been driving at in more recent GW threads after I realised I was being something of a 'knucklehead' in arguing specifics that I don't fully understand.

Instead I wish people would realise that "it's the sun/GW on Mars/hockey stick/Milankovitch/environmentalism as religion/water vapour... etc" have all been addressed, no easy pat dismissals remain. You then have to read fully and comprehensively, and bearing my new sig in mind (as I am studiously trying to do), make decisions about how valid you think those arguments were in the first place and what you make of the responses.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »
BP, I agree.  (It rhymes, doncha know?)  When I said "serious debaters" and "real argument," I was talking about people (most of which are not debating on internet forums) who have studied the issue in-depth and know the science and the latest research on both sides.  Or commentators like myself who try to stay in the shallow end where they belong.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
I'd like to commend y'all: two pages, nd nothing inflamatory or insulting (except for Mike Irwin's lil' thing, and that wasn't aimed at anyone here). Bravo!

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that reads:

I BELIEVE IN THE BIG BANG.
God said it and *BANG* it happened.

karlsgunbunker

• "Doin what I can with what I got" - Burt Gummer
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
KGB
01FFL   $15 Transfers in the Indianapolis Area
All Firearms at Dealer cost + Actual shipping and Transfer Fee.
Contact me for a quote before you buy.
"Doin what I can with what I got." Burt Gummer

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »
kgb, I think you just nailed it. grin If he'll ever shut up, we'll have it made.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »
"nothing inflamatory or insulting (except for Mike Irwin's lil' thing"

Uhm... No! No it wasn't!

Yeah, that's the story...  cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.