Author Topic: finding OBL  (Read 1534 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
finding OBL
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:54 AM »
drudge has a report that they (CIA) have new leads.
I bet a friend of mine that they will not find OBL
until the end of the 2nd Bush admin....was I right?
am I bitter? jaded?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: finding OBL
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:56:58 AM »
My theory is there are only two ways a (R) will get elected this cycle:
1) we must be out of Iraq or....
2) we find OBL. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 02:38:04 AM »
My theory is there are only two ways a (R) will get elected this cycle:
1) we must be out of Iraq or....
2) we find OBL.

Yeah...assuming they put OBL on the (R) ticket to run against BOB. We're going to take a beating over the next 4-8 years.  We can only hope that the Dems screw up as badly as the the Bush folks have.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:58:26 AM »
Getting out of Iraq will not help the Republicans.  Only obvious victory will help - as in victory so tangible that the media will not be able to downplay or spin it. 

Capturing/killing OBL will be downplayed and spun into a positive for the Democrats.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:01:10 AM »
Getting out of Iraq will not help the Republicans.  Only obvious victory will help - as in victory so tangible that the media will not be able to downplay or spin it. 

Capturing/killing OBL will be downplayed and spun into a positive for the Democrats.

You are right.  But the only obvious victory would be the opening of a McDonalds in Mecca, Muslims reciting the Pledge of Allegiance all over the world, and Osama bin Laden going into rehab and coming out a born again Christian.  And even then the Dems would spin it that all this came about because Clinton had been president.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:38 AM »
Since negative campaigning is the norm, what the Reps need is juicy dirt on Hillary and Obama. Biden and the rest are irrelevant. Some pictures of her fem-domming Billy in a nazi vixen outfit will do wonders.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:38:09 AM »
Only obvious victory will help - as in victory so tangible that the media will not be able to downplay or spin it. 

Not in my wildest imagination can I visualize anything close to resembling "victory" coming out of this mess.
The next best thing is not having Americans there. But you're right, that would not be a Republican goal or victory. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 05:56:02 AM »
If they really want to find him, they ought to just check out a DVD from Blockbuster in his name, and then not return it. They'll find him.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:30:37 AM »
The best hope for the Republicans is that the Democrats cannot get along and accomplish nothing over the next year and a half.  The only problem is that most of the Republican canidates for President are not any better.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:35:23 AM »
If they really want to find him, they ought to just check out a DVD from Blockbuster in his name, and then not return it. They'll find him.

Actually sign him up for a free copy of the Book of Mormon, Credit Cards, Home Mortgages or Netflix. Someone will find him real quick.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:37:39 AM »
The best hope for the Republicans is that the Democrats cannot get along and accomplish nothing over the next year and a half.  The only problem is that most of the Republican canidates for President are not any better.

You mean how we right now have a choice between They Want Your Guns and They Want Your Guns?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »
The next best thing is not having Americans there.

No, that would only be a bigger mess.  "Peace with honor," or "Bringing our boys home;" whichever way you'd like to think of it, only translates as "The Americans are weak and frightened.  They don't have the stomach to face us."  That invites further attacks, just as happened with Blackhawk Down.  Just the same as al-Qaeda viewed the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan as a victory for jihad.  Projecting weakness is our worst option.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 06:59:12 AM »
No, that would only be a bigger mess.  "Peace with honor," or "Bringing our boys home;" whichever way you'd like to think of it, only translates as "The Americans are weak and frightened.

I think it translates to " The Americans are capable of learning and are not totally stupid."

How do you define Victory in Iraq?  Is that kinda like "peace in the middle east"?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 07:12:21 AM »
Mane, that or we should take out a student loan in UBL's name and then not pay it. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 07:17:30 AM »
We dove in the river to save a drowning man.  It was a noble effort.  We continue to attempt to give the man mouth- to- mouth years later, while the man, his family, and his friends tell us to leave him alone and beat us about the head.
Now... throw the man's enemies into the mix, who are trying to kill everyone on the riverbank.  There- you have Iraq.  I don't consider the additional actions of holding the man down, and fighting off his friends and his enemies (so we can continue to give him mouth to mouth) to be prudent strategy.  I admire the determination, and sacrifice of those ordered to carry out the duty, but I also feel a strong obligation to put their dedication (and lives) to better use.

The man, his family, his friends, his neighbors, his enemies, the world, wants us to leave him alone, yet GWB and his loyal followers, continue to preach " stay the course to victory". 

We should of dragged Saddam from his hole, put a bullet in head, and left.
If we had, we would now be able to tell the leaders of Iran, Korea, and perhaps Venezuela that they might be next.  Instead, we are bleeding profusely, and have lost the respect of the entire world (and 60% or more of Americans). 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 07:19:14 AM »
No, that would only be a bigger mess.  "Peace with honor," or "Bringing our boys home;" whichever way you'd like to think of it, only translates as "The Americans are weak and frightened.

I think it translates to " The Americans are capable of learning and are not totally stupid."

Apparently, you cannot learn from the examples I just provided.  What we think of our hypothetical withdrawal from Iraq is meaningless.  Al-Qaeda et al would interpret it as an inviting weakness, as they have viewed similar withdrawals in the past. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 07:23:17 AM »
Instead, we are bleeding profusely, and have lost the respect of the entire world (and 60% or more of Americans). 
We are not bleeding profusely, and would be bleeding even less if people like yourself didn't buy into the spin from the left.  Now, I'm not saying that you're killing anyone.  I'm saying that the negative perception so many have of the war encourages the agents of chaos in Iraq.  And it contributes to despair on the part of Iraqis digesting the media as well. 

This isn't about Iraq, it is much larger than that.  If you can't see that, you need to open your eyes. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
ok lets keep this thread bitter, jaded, cynical and funny.
I was in a rotten mood when I wrote it and most of your kind replies cheered me up.

Maybe OBL is in rehab?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »
"We are not bleeding profusely, and would be bleeding even less if people like yourself didn't buy into the spin from the left.  Now, I'm not saying that you're killing anyone.  I'm saying that the negative perception so many have of the war encourages the agents of chaos in Iraq.  And it contributes to despair on the part of Iraqis digesting the media as well."

You need to print that out , hang it on the wall, and kick yourself ten years from now.
My negative perception comes from: 1) statements of fact made by the men and women who not only served in Iraq, but were the commanders in Iraq.  2) the 20,000+ wounded soldiers and 3000+ dead (and growing) American soldiers 3) hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis 4) the general disdain of the allies we've had for generations and 5) the enormous financial cost that will affect a generation of Americans minimum.

I could care less what Al-Qaeda thinks - hunt them down and kill them if they threaten us.
More importantly, make a real effort at the borders and airports to keep them out of our country.

How should we fight the war on communism...put the 5th ID in Peking or Caracas for a come one come all commie fest?  The "logic" of that stategy evades me. 

My eyes watched the Vienam war and everything since...I don't think I'm the one who needs them opened.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
My eyes also watched Vietnam.  And I also think you need yours opened.
The model is not Vietnam but the Philippines.  It was a very similar war.  It was won not on the battlefield but at home.  I have frequently mentioned Max Boot's book on America's small wars.  This one fits that pattern exactly.  In every single one the outcome depended not on the enemy but on how willing America was to stay in the fight.  In places where we made a commitment, we were succesful.  In places where we cut and run, we weren't.
While 3,000 casualties is 3k too many, it pales in comparison to other wars.  I have no doubt we can win the war.  We have superior everything.  My doubt is whether America can stay patient enough to see it through.  For people acclimated to seeing every conflict resolved in 45 minutes on TV it isnt promising.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
Here I agree with Rabbi - this war can only be lost or win at home. Iraq itself has little to do with it. A bunch of leftist political saboteurs are far more damaging to our war effort than jihadists can ever be. On the upside, we get to see who the real enemies are in stark colors and bold lettering.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 04:40:28 PM »
I could care less what Al-Qaeda thinks - hunt them down and kill them if they threaten us.

But do it everywhere except Iraq?  And you don't care whether al-Qaeda fears us or laughs at us?  Again, open your eyes.  Rabbi said the rest. 

Oh, and if Iraq doesn't improve I won't be kicking myself.  I'll be kicking the anti-war spin-doctors and the people that they duped.  I wished that didn't include you.