Author Topic: Mac Mini  (Read 2096 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Mac Mini
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:08:44 AM »
I'm thinking about buying a Mac Mini as an introduction to the Mac "system".  I don't have any specific goals in mind, I just want to get some hands on with the MacOS.  The problem I'm encountering is that I don't have a clue how much memory or processor I need.  With Windows and Linux, I have an idea, but I'm clueless on the Mac OS.

FWIW, I'm comfortable on a 1.5ghz AMD processor, 768meg of RAM, an 80gig HDD, 64mb video card, and Win2k.  I *think* the low end dual core Mac Mini will suit me, but I want to make sure I'm not buying too little.  My expected uses will be basic word processing, general Internet (web, mail, ftp, etc), and maybe some light video editing (that is currently being handled by the system above). 

Chris

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
As long as you really do mean light video editing, then that will be fine. If you intend to do anything more, then it might need some steroids. More RAM is always welcome, as modern operating systems can suck up vast amounts of RAM.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:34:31 AM »
iMovie, yes.

Final Cut Pro, no.

I use FCP 5.1 on my MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.33 with 3gb of ram, and it still uses all resources. Full install was 43gb.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
Video editing is RAM expensive and can require a lot of HD Space.

IIRC correctly buy the Mini Mac with the bare minimum RAM then purchase more third party. It should be substantially cheaper.

I think Mac also come with just a 90 day warranty, you'll have to pay more to get a longer warranty.

But iMovie and iDVD are the simplest video editing you'll ever do and actually come up with a decent edit job.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:41:49 AM »
As long as you really do mean light video editing, then that will be fine. If you intend to do anything more, then it might need some steroids. More RAM is always welcome, as modern operating systems can suck up vast amounts of RAM.

Light movie editing=sucking the video off the MiniDV recorder, cutting out the crap, adding some transitions and burning to DVD.

How memory hungry is MacOS?  I know I can operate comfortably under Win2k with 500megs and XP runs ok with 500-1,000mb, but I don't have a clue what the Mac needs to be comfortable.

I was reading an article about the early Minis and it made a statement about the OS being a stripped down version (compared it to WindowsCE).  Is that still the case?  Has it ever been the case?  I'd like the full OS since that's what I'm really interested in learning.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »

Light movie editing=sucking the video off the MiniDV recorder, cutting out the crap, adding some transitions and burning to DVD.

How memory hungry is MacOS?  I know I can operate comfortably under Win2k with 500megs and XP runs ok with 500-1,000mb, but I don't have a clue what the Mac needs to be comfortable.

I was reading an article about the early Minis and it made a statement about the OS being a stripped down version (compared it to WindowsCE).  Is that still the case?  Has it ever been the case?  I'd like the full OS since that's what I'm really interested in learning.

Chris

OSX is not memory-hungry for the OS at all. Nothing like Windows bloat. It's an elegant shell (Aqua) running on top of BSD Unix, and very lean and stable.

And there's no such thing as a "stripped down" anything. If anything's missing, it means it doesn't come with the iLife package of iDVD and iMovie, but I doubt that. I think they all come with those now.

And yes, those two apps are very good and painless at the task you're talking about. The results will look professional with no headaches.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:05:31 AM »
You been watching too many commercials, boy.

Now go tape a camera to your head.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:24:26 AM »

IIRC correctly buy the Mini Mac with the bare minimum RAM then purchase more third party. It should be substantially cheaper.

I think Mac also come with just a 90 day warranty, you'll have to pay more to get a longer warranty.

Combining these two points - was the debate about cracking open a Mini, installing new RAM and the possible effects this might have on a warranty ever resolved?

Looked at them when they first came out, people had them open straight away, but it didn't look to be a design that was intended for user modifications (an array of plastic grips requiring a special tool or some brave improvisation) and Apple seemed to be making vague statements about whether they minded or not.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:25:13 AM »
You been watching too many commercials, boy.

No, we have some Mac users here at work and a friend/customer I do some work with has a mixed network.  Most of what I do doesn't require any specific Mac knowledge, but I'd like to check them out so I'm not making assumptions.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 09:45:57 AM »
I've used Macs at various times over the past 15 or so years, mainly for their graphic design and layout capabilities.

I've used later versions of Quark Express, PageMaker, and other similar programs on both IBMs and Macs and the Macs have always seemed to have better proformance when using those high-powered programs when compared to a similarly configured windows-based machine.

I have no clue about video editing on a Mac. I've done a little bit through Powerpoint, but whenever I needed anything really special I've always taken it to our graphics shop at the Towers in McLean.

I think they do a lot of their animating on Sun Sparc systems.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »
I've used Macs at various times over the past 15 or so years, mainly for their graphic design and layout capabilities.

I've used later versions of Quark Express, PageMaker, and other similar programs on both IBMs and Macs and the Macs have always seemed to have better proformance when using those high-powered programs when compared to a similarly configured windows-based machine.

I have no clue about video editing on a Mac. I've done a little bit through Powerpoint, but whenever I needed anything really special I've always taken it to our graphics shop at the Towers in McLean.

I think they do a lot of their animating on Sun Sparc systems.

A major share, if not the majority of video editing for television shows and a number of movies is done on linked Mac workstations and servers with disk racks, using Final Cut Pro 5.1. It's become a de-facto standard for the pros, that package, as it is extremely powerful and was designed to work with HD video.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
Well, that sort of use is going far and above what I expect to do.  My home PC needs are so slight, I could amost get away with a pocketPC. Smiley

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 10:49:32 AM »
Well, that sort of use is going far and above what I expect to do.  My home PC needs are so slight, I could amost get away with a pocketPC. Smiley

Chris

You'd probably be happy with the Mini then. iMovie and iDVD are NOT crippleware, as Microsoft likes to do. They're full-featured and a pleasure to use.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
Make sure you get a new Mini, with the Intel processor, and not an old PowerPC model.  The PowerPC mini's were dogs.  My mom has one, it's brutal.
I love my Macbook, by the way.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »
i run fcp on a mac powerbook G4 1.5 ghz with a gig of ramm

the main trick is to make sure your capture drive is fast enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerbook-G4-Aluminum-1-5gHz-1GB-RAM-Warranty_W0QQitemZ220087384376QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:38:48 AM »
i run fcp on a mac powerbook G4 1.5 ghz with a gig of ramm

the main trick is to make sure your capture drive is fast enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerbook-G4-Aluminum-1-5gHz-1GB-RAM-Warranty_W0QQitemZ220087384376QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

More like enough space. I have 1TB of LaCie firewire-800 externals attached to it for heavy operations. Smiley

And don't try HD video on the old G4, it'll choke. That, you need to upgrade to the Intel Core Duo for.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 08:55:11 AM »
if your intended audience is the 1/4 scale, 360x240 online realm,
a G4 is up to the task

I do however, get a thrill when i hit the render button
and the G5 down shifts and spools up the blowers
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
I love my Macs, but I always at least double the RAM that the machine ships with. 

Looking at the specs, upgrading to the 1 Gig ram for $75 is a no-brainer.  Going to the 2 Gig is a harder decision. 

When you get your baby, head to Barnes and Noble and pick up the "Missing Manual" OS10.4 (or whatever they're on now).  It is published by OReilley and is indispensible.

(Sorry, I can't spell tonight)
Experiment with a chemist!