Author Topic: Of Americanized Chinese, Indian, and Apples (recipe gathering!)  (Read 1909 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Hey, everybody,

My mom and I are gearing up to get our cook on this week, and so I have a series of informational requests for you culinary lot:

I BEGIN,

1. We've got apples for days, of the reddish and sweet kind (I forget the actual variety), and we're looking for something to make out of them. I humbly request your favorite apple-based recipes, and I am particularly a-hankering for a good apple butter or sauce recipe.

Le deuce. My mom continuously claims that she and my dad were quite the shakers and bakers of the americanized chinese cuisine, in their day, so here I also humbly request for y'alls' favorite chinese recipes and/or chinese recipe resources

ffffffff. There was an Indian place in Blacksburg that I used to hit at least once a month, and I have fallen most terribly in love with teh indian foods. I ask, nay, demand Indian-foods resources! Favorite recipes or foods, again, are appreciated.

Thanks in advance, y'all. Once we get some recipes and such, I'll try to document our foodal forays.

~GnSx

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Of Americanized Chinese, Indian, and Apples (recipe gathering!)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:55:00 AM »
I often make a Mulligatawny Soup that is wonderful.
I can outline it but cant remember the recipe exactly.

Take chopped onions, celery, carrot and one small new potato.  Sautee them in oil until soft.  Add about a cup of dried lentils.  Add some water and continue cooking until the whole thing is soft.
Take the mixture (the solid parts anyway) and run through a food prcoessor.  Put it back in the pot with the liquid.
Add soy milk (I think the original recipe calls for coco milk), pepper, garam masala, and the usual curry stuff.
Soup should be thick, creamy and very curry tasting.  Can be spicy too.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:04:57 AM »
Best I can offer apple-wise is pork in cider. Can outline it if you're interested.

Curry - lots of info on the web - http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/curry-recipes.asp - as long as you get the basic spices right you can pretty effectively improvise. I made curry using chicken, potato, spices and a can of carrot and coriander soup the other day, and it will be made again.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:16:08 AM »
Can you really buy "carrot and coriander" soup in a can?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 05:18:17 AM »
Apparently, and I must have done so at one time as I found it in a cupboard. Was out of coconut milk.

I did taste the stuff before I modified it into curry sauce, and it wasn't terrible.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:04:06 AM »
I'm getting real tired of these here imigrants coming over here and eating there food over here in our country.  If they want to live here, they should learn to eat pizza and coffee and beer, and other American food.  If they won't eat our good old American food, they should go back where they came from.    angry

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
Now Mike you can't be serious.  Plus what food can you think of that is totally American?  Most American food is based off other ethnic foods.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
Popcorn.  We need to stop eating all that foreign stuff like pizza and hamburgers and eat popcorn and squash instead.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
Hey Rabbi don't forget turkey and venison.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:15 AM »
Most American food is based off other ethnic foods.
  Nice try, womanizer67.  You must be one of those immigrants who comes here to live fat on our welfare system even though you hate our country and won't eat our food.  If you had any character at all, like Americans do, you'd sign up for the military and EARN your govt. cheese. 

We need to stop eating all that foreign stuff like pizza and hamburgers and eat popcorn and squash instead.

Rabbi, I'm glad you sort of agree with me, but you need to be liberated from this lie that pizza is foreign.  I don't know how anyone can believe that.  I mean, pizza comes from a cardboard box in the freezer.  Well, who invented freezers?  Cardboard?  Straight, White, Christian Americans, that's who.  So, obviously, pizza was invented here, where we have cardboard and freezers. 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »
11Mike, thanks for clearing that up.  I always wondered where pizza came from.  I knew it couldnt be from Italy/Sicily because that's what I heard on CNN and they're always wrong about everything.  So now I know: it comes from white Christian heterosexual makers of freezers and cardboard.  That also explains a lot of the frozen pizzas I've had.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
Rabbi, I'm glad to help.  Now, let's just get you straightened out on that whole religion thing, and you'll be a good American.   cheesy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 01:46:15 AM »
Hey Mike you obviously have no clue what I do for a living or even where I am at the moment nor do you even pay attention to my sig line.  If you did you would not have said the things you did.  I am currently stationed in Baghdad with the Oklahoma National Guard.  So how is that for earning my government cheese.  Next time you might just want to think about what you say before you say it.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 03:30:25 AM »
I can see how where you are might be a humour sapping situation wmenorr67. Everything Mike has written has been in jest.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »
Thanks, Iain.

wmenorr67, I didn't mean to offend you.  I thought if I poured it on a little thicker, the satire would be obvious.  I hope things go well for you over there. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:03:15 AM »
Hey Mike no problem it is that I just take a little offense when people start dissing on the military and the job that we are doing.