Author Topic: Anthropogenic global warming is so easy....  (Read 1442 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Anthropogenic global warming is so easy....
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:32:43 AM »
...even a cave man can do it!

(Judging by the end of the last Ice age...)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Anthropogenic global warming is so easy....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
The watermelon crowd figures that if people dunnit, laws can undo it.  Unfortunately, sincerity of belief does not create truth.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:48:41 AM »
The watermelon crowd figures that if people dunnit, laws can undo it.  Unfortunately, sincerity of belief does not create truth.

Art

I just wish they'd switch to "If this happens, it's gonna suck, what can we do to prepare to survive and thrive during such a change?"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »
I just wish they'd switch to "If this happens, it's gonna suck, what can we do to prepare to survive and thrive during such a change?"
Yup.  It doesn't matter what's causing climate change, if it's happening, we need to be prepared.  Folks can laugh about NYC under water or a frozen Europe all they want, but it that sort of thing were to happen, things would get ugly fast.

But it's not as much fun as poking fun at "liberals".

Chris

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:11:42 AM »
Yeah, we're gonna need those hydrating suits from Dune.   smiley

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »
Even Martian cavemen can do it, what with the melting polar caps there.  Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:33:42 AM »

What's that supposed to mean?  That we're not as smart as you are?   angry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:25:11 AM »
It's a scientific fact that Terran cavemen have both bigger brains and bigger wieners than Martian cavemen.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:36:03 AM »

Yeah, but the Martians screwed up so badly that they dried up all their seas and blew away the damn atmosphere. Cheesy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »
Is that Unfrozen Caveman Zumbo?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »
Yup.  It doesn't matter what's causing climate change, if it's happening, we need to be prepared.  Folks can laugh about NYC under water or a frozen Europe all they want, but it that sort of thing were to happen, things would get ugly fast.
That is fine and dandy as long as we are realistic that we have 50 or 100 years to adapt.  We don't have to do now. 

I got in an argument the other day.  If the sea level rose by just a few inches, what effect would that have?  I had a guy trying to tell me about how storms and stuff would all be more pronounced and more disasters and everything.  Just trying to get a feel for it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
it is UFCZ!

on the more good news for the hand ringing crowd front,

didja know the oceans will be fished out in 50 years?

US: November 3, 2006

WASHINGTON - The world's fish and seafood populations will collapse by 2048 if current trends in habitat destruction and overfishing continue, resulting in less food for humans, researchers said on Thursday.

In an analysis of scientific data going back to the 1960s and historical records over a thousand years, the researchers found that marine biodiversity -- the variety of ocean fish, shellfish, birds, plants and micro-organisms -- has declined dramatically, with 29 percent of species already in collapse.
Extending this pattern into the future, the scientists calculated that by 2048 all species would be in collapse, which the researchers defined as having catches decline 90 percent from the maximum catch.

This applies to all species, from mussels and clams to tuna and swordfish, said Boris Worm, lead author of the study, which was published in the current edition of the journal Science.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
Let's don't get into the ocean fisheries thing in this thread.  I could foam at the mouth for hours about how that rape has messed things up so much.  I worked in the early days of the Coastal Zone Management Program, back in '75-'77.  Learned more than I wanted to, I guess...

Any ocean rise, I'm guessing, will cause more erosion of coastal wetlands than creation of new and viable wetland habitat . Short term-ish, anyway.  The sort of thing that's happening around the greater New Orleans area, although different basic causes.

Any ocean rise would mean wave heights would be higher.  (Ain't that obvious?)  So, until structures are abandoned, it only needs smaller storms to have greater wave damage than in the past.  Major storms would reach farther inland, where previously-safe structures could be at risk.

It seems to me that a major problem is not the warming as warming.  It's not gonna get that much hotter.  What could occur, but nobody knows, is what might happen insofar as changes in weather patterns.  That is, will some areas become subject to desertification, such as has been ongoing in the Sahel for several decades?  Should this happen in the midwest of the US, food grain production would decline dramatically.  Or, possibly, my happy little chunk of desert might for some reason become a rainforest.  Quien sabe?

Nobody knows if any changes in such weather patterns will be slow, requiring decades to notice; or quick, due to the concept of "tipping points".  Think of a tipping point this way:  You pull a board across a table.  It overhangs but doesn't fall.  You keep pulling a little bit at a time, until you finally reach the midpoint.  The next 1/1000th of an inch, and it tips and falls.  Tippping point.  Or, balance point.

Could well be that the southern hemisphere is the place to go.  Temperature records there show no rise in the last hundred years.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
The problem is that it will be difficult to tell if it is just a short term trend or long lasting until after it is around for a while. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge