Author Topic: Puppy training!  (Read 1203 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Puppy training!
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:47 PM »
Not long ago my girlfriend decided to get a dog. We went down to the local shelter and she got a little misty at a few muts, but we eventually settled on a very cute little hound mix. All the other pups would never stop yelping, but this one never made a sound. All it would do is bring its little stuffed moose over to you as a present. We took it out and brought it to a little room they have, and it would only hide under me while I was kneeling over. The big kicker, though, was when it walked over, crawled into her lap and took a nap. That sealed the deal and we took her home.

Now that she's good and spoiled, we're running into some problems getting her trained. The house-breaking is it's own problem, to which I don't really know the answer. The mutt is taken out frequently and regularly, and my gf tries to restrict access to food/fluids. The dog will still pee in the apartment though. But I digress..

The real problem is when my gf leaves and has to lock the mutt up in her cage. (We tried leaving her out, but quickly learned she couldn't be trusted. Carpet was torn up, glasses were eaten, etc.). First she managed to dismantle her cage from the inside, but some zipties remedied that issue. But the problem now is she barks (howls) quite a lot when put into the cage, after she hears my gf leave.  For a good few minutes after waiting just outside the door you can hear her howl.  I had my gf leave a tape recorder while she was away, so we don't think she's doing it the whole time, but can't be certain.

We also find that she almost always will have peed in her cage when she/we return, no matter how long we've been gone. I imagine this is just from anxiety about us leaving.

Anyone know solutions to barking/peeing when caged like this? She just won't get used to it. I read somewhere that dogs like it to be sort of covered/cave-like, but she chews up any sort of covering we put on the cage. I'd try wood, but don't want to spend the money if it's not got a chance at working.

Puppy training is hard!
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Puppy training!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »
Get a cat.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
How big is the crate?  It needs to be not much bigger than the dog.  Crate training is a very effective method.  Keep at it and read up on it.  Develop a routine and stick to it.  Don't let her wee any ol' time she wants to.  My dogs wee 4 times a day for the most part and can hold it for 12 hours or more if they have to.

Greg

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
dogs are pack animals and they get lonely

one is the loneliest number...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
See if the shelter has any suggestions or if they can recommend a dog trainer.  My ex and I really enjoyed puppy school (the dog did too) and our trainer was a huge help with all kinds of little issues.  You hit the nail on the head with "spoiled rotten".  Dog training takes time, persistence and consistency, but it is well worth it. 

As for the peeing, first make sure there's no bladder/kidney issue.  Then work on getting puppy out very very regularly (every 15-20 minutes) making sure little one does business and rewarding the heck out of it.  Oh yeah, buy a bell like what people put in bird cages and hang it on the doorknob.  Every time you're headed outside, get puppy to hit the bell with her nose.  Before you know it, she'll be ringing when she needs to go outside (I didn't believe it either, but my dog picked it up in about 3 days). 

For crate, teach a crate command with treats.  Toss treat into cage, get dog to go in, then close door and sit with the dog until she calms down.  Once quiet give treats, petting and loving, then let out.  When whining, give quiet command or ignore.  Do this several times a day.  Then maybe try in the crate, then go out the door and close it.  Maybe also try a radio. 

The dog should view crate as a safe place, unless the shelter experience caused a problem.  My dog went into cage for "Do you want a cookie".  The wetting in the crate is unusual, but again may be shelter side effect or bladder issue.  Get some help on this one. 
Experiment with a chemist!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:17:15 PM »
Make the dog associate going to the crate with a treat.  To cure continued barking with a very willful dog, I'll pretend to leave but stay hidden near the crate.  The SECOND the dog starts to wail, I smack hard on the outside of the crate to make a noise.  Then I hide again and when the dog calms down and is silent for awhile, I'll give a treat and praise.  The key is to be consistant and to make sure you don't punish them for crying after they've stopped.  You have to get them right in the middle of it. 

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
How old is the dog?

To me, puppy = puppy classes = money well spent
Older dog + Your issues = something may be wrong with the pup = vet visit ASAP.
One day at a time.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:13:57 PM »
Get a cat.

Housebreaking dogs is why I live with cats.

Based on the reading I did when I was considering adding a canine to the herd, the crate information others have offered is sound.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.