Author Topic: Chevy truck hinge pins - anyone replaced?  (Read 688 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chevy truck hinge pins - anyone replaced?
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
Okay all you Bow-Tie fanatics, question fer ya...

I am now the proud owner of a worn-out 1991 Chevy Suburban that has four sagging doors.  I'm told that I need to replace the pins and bushings in the door hinges.  I can see 'em, and they are definitely worn, so I think the advice is sound.  Problem is, I've never done it.  It looks like it's probably a simple job (other than the spring, which a little internet research has turned up a nifty spring compressor for).  Anyone done this replacement that can give me a tidbit of advice on what to look for and what not to do?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Re: Chevy truck hinge pins - anyone replaced?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »
Have friends over and use a piece of wood on a floor jack to support the weight of the door while operating on it.  Don't try to save the existing pins - use a "little Nick" hacksaw or reciprocating "Sawzall" if you can get it in to cut the existing pin.  Don't forget to lube the replacements when you install them, and remember, leaning on open doors helps lead to premature wear in the first place.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...