Author Topic: More Reason not to trust Feds, They might frame you  (Read 1387 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
More Reason not to trust Feds, They might frame you
« on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »
Lawyer Claims FBI Knew Convicts Were Innocent

New York Lawyer
February 28, 2007

By Denise Lavoie
The Associated Press

BOSTON -- The FBI considered the lives of four men who spent decades in prison for a murder they didn't commit "acceptable collateral damage" in the fight against organized crime, a lawyer for the families of the men said Tuesday.

Peter Limone, Joseph Salvati and the families of two other men who died in prison after being convicted in the 1965 gangland killing of Edward "Teddy" Deegan are suing the federal government for malicious prosecution.

Lawyers have not specified the amount they are seeking, but have cited court decisions that show other plaintiffs were awarded $1 million for each year in prison.

In closing arguments Tuesday, attorney Michael Avery said Boston agents knew that FBI informant Joseph "The Animal" Barboza lied when he named the four men as Deegan's killers. Barboza wanted to protect a fellow FBI informant, Vincent "Jimmy" Flemmi, who was involved in Deegan's killing, Avery said.

The men were "acceptable collateral damage" in the FBI's priority at the time -- taking down the Mafia through the use of criminal informants, Avery said.

The government has argued federal authorities had no duty to share information with state officials who prosecuted Limone, Salvati, Henry Tameleo and Louis Greco. Justice Department lawyer Bridge Bailey Lipscomb said Tuesday that federal authorities cannot be held responsible for the results of a state prosecution.

Lipscomb said the state investigated the case for eight months and had 10 investigators working on it.

"To the extent that Barboza lied, someone should have gleaned that lie out of all the investigation," she said.

Salvati and Limone were exonerated in 2001 after FBI memos dating back to the Deegan case surfaced, showing the men were framed by Barboza.

The memos were made public after they were discovered by a Justice Department task force probing the FBI's relationship with gangsters and FBI informants James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: More Reason not to trust Feds, They might frame you
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:23:23 AM »
The government has argued federal authorities had no duty to share information with state officials who prosecuted Limone, Salvati, Henry Tameleo and Louis Greco.
If they had evidence and knew it, wouldn't that be obstruction of justice or something similar?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:30:02 AM »
Maybe, if the state law says that one has an affirmative duty to come forward.  Under federal law it would be several felonies that I can think of off the top of my head.

Don't forget, feds are above the law.  The can do anything they want and they know it.

Feds have been setting up criminal defense attorneys for many years now on rotten CIs.  Have been getting away with it because of their status as feds and their victims are attorneys, not exactly a popular group.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:54:36 AM »
Martha Stewart & Scooter Libby might be in agreement with you.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:27:49 AM »
The FBI considered the lives of four men who spent decades in prison for a murder they didn't commit "acceptable collateral damage" in the fight against organized crime, a lawyer for the families of the men said Tuesday.
I wonder how many innocent people are acceptable collateral damage in the War on Terror, and the War on Drugs, and all of our other Wars on?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »
Got a link to the original story?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
There is no reason to trust any government employees. They are people who openly admit that they enjoy and prefer a life of initiating force against others.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
There is no reason to trust any government employees. They are people who openly admit that they enjoy and prefer a life of initiating force against others.

For once, I agree with MR - someone tell Satan he'll have to take his snowmobile to work tonight....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »

For once, I agree with MR - someone tell Satan he'll have to take his snowmobile to work tonight....

Odd, I was under the impression that we agreed a lot. I am a libertarian anarchist. What are you? Huh?