Author Topic: Writing application essay for grad school  (Read 1202 times)

zahc

• friend
Writing application essay for grad school
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »
Does anyone have any advice? I don't really know what they are expecting. It is to be 'in the form of a short essay which should include personal and academic background, research interests, reasons for selecting this program, and your future aspirations.'

My two problems are that I have a hard time bragging about myself, and my academic background is rather average. I don't know how much I should hint that I really want to go to their school because of the skiing, trout fishing, and gun control laws. I spent last summer there on internship, and I'm really ready to flee to a free state.

It's a physics program.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Writing application essay for grad school
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »
When all else fails dazzle them with BS.  The rest will take care of itself.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »
Be sure to be truthful at any time. If you bs, it will likely work to your disadvantage. The reviewing faculty are not idiots and have seen it all, trust me.

Preparing a strong application is not easy. Think about what your interests are and how going to the particular institution works to their advantage. Faculty wants to see competence, drive, and interest in what they have to offer. Writing something generic will put you in a big bin with the rest of the lazy bums. Do something to stand out in a good way. Show familiarity with the best the particular department can offer. Show particular interest in the research areas of several prominent faculty.

Whatever you do, be consistent, honest, proactive, and intelligent. Be sure to write clearly, concisely, and effectively. If your writing skills are bad, get somebody to help you with formatting.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
First, I think, make a list of those pertinent items.  Then write some commentary, elaborating a bit on each item.

Question yourself, I guess, as to what are your research interests, and why did you pick that particular school...

How did you do on the GRE?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:34:32 AM »
I agree with previous thoughts. Don't lie and schmooz, people who do this for a living can smell it from a mile away. It's a good way to turn yourself into white noise. State things exactly as they are. Tell them what path led you to their door step, explain why that's where you're supposed to be.  Note large achievements as well as struggles that you met along the way, and how they influenced you to choose that program/school. Keep it professional. It should almost sound as if you're already in because of how certainly you find it to fit into your future goals, or rather how you and your goals fit so well into their program.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I have never sat on an admission committee nor taken part in essay judgment in any way. The preceding is only my experience in having written application letters for graduate programs and in talking with those who actually do the admitting.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »
How did you do on the GRE?

I did merely well, above average but probably not much above average for people applying to grad school in physics. I haven't taken the physics subject GRE yet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine