Author Topic: Bah, humbug!  (Read 815 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Bah, humbug!
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Over the weekend I was in a Sears store. Yesterday I was in a Lowe's. It's still a week before Halloween, and they're already selling Christmas stuff. I'm old enough to remember when Thanksgiving, and the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, was the traditional and quasi-official start of the Christmas season. I liked it that way. Starting Christmas in mid-October just ain't right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Bah, humbug!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
Christmas decorations are so last week.  I'm looking for Valentines Day decorations.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »
You're exemplifying the new Social Justice Warrior construct...

Ebeneezer Butthurt...

:rofl:

I set foot in actual stores so infrequently anymore that I really don't even notice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
They only sell the stuff this early because people buy it.  Retail is very sensitive to floor space allocation and sales.  They don't put stuff out on a whim.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
They only sell the stuff this early because people buy it.  Retail is very sensitive to floor space allocation and sales.  They don't put stuff out on a whim.

Chris

This.  Holidays are super important in the retail world.  Us consumers drive that, so they cater more to it.  They'd line the shelves with christmas *expletive deleted*it in January if we bought it that early.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
In 1939 Thanksgiving was celebrated the last Thursday of the month.

That year the last Thursday was also the last day of the month, and Franklin Roosevelt and his cabinet were worried about the shortened holiday shopping season having a negative effect on retailers who were still trying to recover from the Depression, so he issued a Presidential order making it the next to last Thursday.

That set off something of a fight nationally. Most states agreed with the change, but over a dozen kept with the old schedule, so there were, for several years, TWO Thanksgiving Thursdays in the US.

It was finally resolved in 1941 when Congress agreed that the 4th Thursday of November would be the official Thanksgiving holiday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
In 1939 Thanksgiving was celebrated the last Thursday of the month.

That year the last Thursday was also the last day of the month, and Franklin Roosevelt and his cabinet were worried about the shortened holiday shopping season having a negative effect on retailers who were still trying to recover from the Depression, so he issued a Presidential order making it the next to last Thursday.

That set off something of a fight nationally. Most states agreed with the change, but over a dozen kept with the old schedule, so there were, for several years, TWO Thanksgiving Thursdays in the US.

It was finally resolved in 1941 when Congress agreed that the 4th Thursday of November would be the official Thanksgiving holiday.

I submit that Thanksgiving henceforth be changed to Nov. 8th. On that historic date, Americans may gather to thank God for his Providential care of ourselves, and our ancestors, including the fact that he saved us from the horrors of an HRC administration.

I further submit that the day after Thanksgiving (even the legacy date of the last Friday of Nov.) is far too early. Two weeks out should be the cut-off.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »
Where have you been Hawkmoon? I've being seeing Xmas stuff since Labor Day.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
they are about 1 week away from putting out next years Halloween stuff.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
One nice thing about holidays is that I can almost always find some form of coconut and dark chocolate candy at Walgreens. It might be shaped like an easter egg, a pumpkin, or a Christmas tree - either way, I'll take it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »
One nice thing about holidays is that I can almost always find some form of coconut and dark chocolate candy at Walgreens. It might be shaped like an easter egg, a pumpkin, or a Christmas tree - either way, I'll take it.

Stop. Just STOP! Unfair! Since my heart operation in 2014, I'm not allowed ANY caffeine. Chocolate has caffeine, and dark chocolate has the most caffeine. Which means that I haven't been able to have chocolate for three and a half years (except white chocolate which, as everyone knows, can't really be chocolate). My life is over.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
Stop. Just STOP! Unfair! Since my heart operation in 2014, I'm not allowed ANY caffeine. Chocolate has caffeine, and dark chocolate has the most caffeine. Which means that I haven't been able to have chocolate for three and a half years (except white chocolate which, as everyone knows, can't really be chocolate). My life is over.

No wonder you hate Christmas.

I just loath the fact that it seems like they no longer really do the after holiday candy clearance. I used to be able to go into the grocery store the day after and load up. Now, they clear the shelves that night and put out the next holiday.  :'(

I don't care if my candy isn't properly labeled for the season. Who gives a damn if the super reeses are shaped like eggs, or pumpkins or bats or ghosts or santa. It's reeses, damnit. It all taste the same.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds