Author Topic: A more moderate Saudi Arabia may be in the offing  (Read 1339 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A more moderate Saudi Arabia may be in the offing
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/moderate-saudi-arabia-crown-prince-shakes-kingdom-143008135.html

If the Saudis stop the state support of Wahhabi doctrine, that can only be good for Saudi and the Middle East in general.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: A more moderate Saudi Arabia may be in the offing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
Stand by for an increase in radical muslim terrorist attacks in Saudi...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
From the article:

"Only dreamers are welcome to join," Prince Mohammed said as he unveiled plans for NEOM.

Hey, we can send them some DREAMers ...
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:16:23 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/moderate-saudi-arabia-crown-prince-shakes-kingdom-143008135.html

If the Saudis stop the state support of Wahhabi doctrine, that can only be good for Saudi and the Middle East in general.

Wahhabis deny they are Wahhabis. They don’t recognise that there are sects in Islam.

Rest assured they will keep hacking people to bits for crimes like magic.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
So, are they going to allow churches to be built there?  Will they stop murdering people for "apostasy"? 

I'll believe it when I see it.  No, probably not even then.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Saudis see how well the UAE are doing and want to jump on the bus. It's still going to be a medieval legal and political system, just with a shinier glossy exterior.

The problem with the ME was always been the fundamentalists. The Saudis cut a deal with them to finance them and look the other way, so long as they left the Saudi government alone. Problem is, fundamentalists of any religion are often insane and will happily bite the hand that feeds them, because on some random Tuesday, apparently God wills it.

The Saudis think they'll be able to slowly draw down the power of the fundamentalists. We'll see. The economic prosperity generally is more stabilizing. The power that a healthy economy gives the Saudis a lot more options. I'll be happy if Saudi Arabia becomes a civilized country, but I suspect it will take a long time.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.