Author Topic: Bill to require pet evacuations  (Read 6182 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Bill to require pet evacuations
« on: September 22, 2005, 10:39:26 AM »
Well, here is one thing I do not agree with.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/22/katrina.pets.ap/index.html

Refusing to leave because you have pets is one thing, that is your decision.  Cutting funding or benefits to places hit because there is no provision for pets to be rescued is completely out of line.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

thorn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:53:02 AM »
looks like it would end in massive increases in pet license fees, with the added bonus of the $$ going through numerous agencies, all of them skimming a cut.

total backwards legislation.

Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:11:32 PM »
I have been astounded by the behavior of some people with regard to pets.  You might care deeply about Fluffy, but all it is a animal.   An animal that you care about, sure, but taking care of citizen's pets is not, to my mind, a useful or appropriate function of government.

When we've had pets, sure, we liked 'em and cared for them, but I ain't bringing an animal with me if I have to evacuate, and I sure as hell don't expect my tax dollars going to take care of them.

To my mind, the only useful thing that government can or should do about pets left behind after a natural disaster is to kill the ones that are nuisances.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »
"but all it is a animal."

So are humans.

To be perfectly blunt about it, there are humans whose lives simply aren't worth nearly as much as a companion animal.

As far as I'm concerned, you're not superior simply because you're bipedal and have opposable thumbs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 02:53:16 PM »
The answer being to simply adapt your evacuation plans to include the family pet(s).

I didn't understand anyone who relied upon any level of government for evacuation purposes before Katrina.

Post-Katrina, anyone who relies upon government for evacuation is bloody well brain damaged.

The governments answer to evacuation is the New Orleans Superdome -- folks, are you nuts?  I've got teenage female kin.  There's no bloody way this side of Annwyn that I'm going to take them anywhere near a Gummint Evac Shelter after what I've heard about the Superdome during, and after, Katrina.

Now, since the OpOrd for the Evac of Clan LawDog doesn't include relying upon anyone other than ourselves, it is a simple matter to expand it to cover family pets.

Something I wuld think anyone would understand on a gut level.

LawDog

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:54:42 PM »
I don't know, I think they might be right that having provision for pets might save a lot of human lives.  I think it's a matter of cost-benefit - we'll have to determine if the benefit of being able to evacuate people who wouldn't otherwise leave their pets outweighs the cost of providing some kind of provision for pets.

I could see rampant problems with this too however - dog fights, people with severe allergies, dangerously aggressive "family" pets.  It'll be an interesting debate to watch.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »
I'm a little less inclusive of humans as Mike Irwin is when it comes to my dogs and cats. Hell, I've got cats with more personality than a lot of humans, and I have to talk to humans all day long.

I imagine if someone came to my door telling me to bug out and leave 'Scruffy' behind,  'Scruffy' might be eating pretty well for awhile, especially if the 'official' were giving me an 'ultimatum'.

...and yes, I DO own a shovel.

damned sociopath am I, yes.

Cheesy Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, you're not superior simply because you're bipedal and have opposable thumbs.
If we werent superior then the dogs and cats would be talking about mandatory people evacution in their own legislatures.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 08:26:41 PM »
"If we werent superior then the dogs and cats would be talking about mandatory people evacution in their own legislatures."

Ever hear of the animal migrations that can take place out of areas that are struck by natural disasters?

Animals don't have to sit down and talk about it and attach riders to proposals and try to figure out plans and draw diagrams with sticky flags and evacuations routes.

They get the hell out of dodge.

Humans, on the other hand?

"Ain't no way in hell I'm going to run scared from no storm! I was here when Sherman marched to the sea, I was here when the last ice age finally ended, and I was... do you hear the building creaking?"

I truly suspect, though, that animals don't bother discussing human evacuation simply because they can't believe that we're so stupid as to even wonder whether it's a good idea or not.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:29:41 AM »
Let us make sure an admendment is added to the bill to make sure that guns are added to the items allowed to be evacuated.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 07:06:33 AM »
Let us make sure an admendment is added to the bill to make sure that guns are added to the items allowed to be evacuated
Not a bad idea.

Let me just reclarify my position.  If you evac yourself, fine, take whatever.  If you don;t want to be evac'd after the disaster, fine, stay there.  If you do want to be evac'd afterwards, and the police or military has to go in and get you, then you come out alone.  No pets, no possessions, just yourself.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
Personally I'd prefer that as many people stay in the disaster zone as possible.

Let Darwin work and thin the heard.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 08:10:32 AM »
Who here has ever actually paid for a pet license?

I have two cats and have never.. even though the last two cities I've lived in required them.

I'm curious how many others think having to pay for pet license is ridiculous.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 12:32:47 PM »
Quote from: Bergeron
I have been astounded by the behavior of some people with regard to pets.  You might care deeply about Fluffy, but all it is a animal.
At the risk of sounding mean, my dogs lives are more important to me then your life.

I know my dogs so I already know I like them, I don't know you :p

That said, I don't think you should have to pay for my dog's care if we have to evacuate our home.

lifer

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 12:33:45 PM »
At the risk of sounding mean, my dogs lives are more important to me then your life.

At the risk of sounding like a human being- you are a ...well, I cant say it because I got thrown off another forum for the same thing. I would shoot your mutts down in front of you for talking that trash if I could. One thing that lights me off more than anything else is people "in love" with their mangy dung machines. Ridiculous and perverted. I have heard enough of that dogs are people to and a pet is a part of the family bullcrap.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »
"I would shoot your mutts down in front of you for talking that trash if I could."

You wouldn't survive your first shot.

That I guarangoddamntee you.

You're a perfect example of why I find dogs and cats to be far better companionship than so-called humans.

To be frank, I've heard enough of the "humans are superior simply because they're humans." It normally comes from people who know that in the relative pecking order, they're somewhere between worms and fleas.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 07:02:39 PM »
To be frank, I've heard enough of the "humans are superior simply because they're humans." It normally comes from people who know that in the relative pecking order, they're somewhere between worms and fleas.
I guess I am somewhere between worms and fleas then.

I'm guessing you put yourself somewhere up around holiness because you put your animals above other people?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 07:39:03 PM »
"I'm guessing you put yourself somewhere up around holiness because you put your animals above other people?"

Cute. Nice try. Religion has nothing to do with it.

I just view the human race for what it is, not with some misty eyed sense of sentimental self-indulgent over importance.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 08:28:57 PM »
Actually, I was trying to keep religion out of it, but I couldn't come up with a better word.

I'm not gonna plug fluffy like whoever it was above that would.  But, I ain't gonna put fluffy above a person.  If, in your opinion, that puts me down with worms and fleas, I'll just have to ignore your short-sightedness, and continue to try and hold some respect for others that disagree with me.

lifer

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 09:12:34 PM »
You wouldn't survive your first shot.

That you would kill me for shooting at your fleabag shows what you are- a traitor to your species and way down the pecking order. You should have been born a bitch.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 04:43:17 AM »
Relax, lifer.  Don't start a stupid flame war just because yuou read more into the original comment than was intended.

Some people just don't place all that much importance to "pets"; others do.  That's just people, and it ain't worth worryin' about.

The real issue here is More Gummint Messing in people's lives.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 07:15:30 AM »
Quote from: lifer
I would shoot your mutts down in front of you for talking that trash if I could. One thing that lights me off more than anything else is people "in love" with their mangy dung machines. Ridiculous and perverted. I have heard enough of that dogs are people to and a pet is a part of the family bullcrap.
Then you better be fast enough and prepared to shoot me because I will kill you (you better hope its me that kills you because it'll be a quick shot to COM and/or head ... my wife would take you apart for hours with a blade..yes, she's capable and willing).

As it is, if I meet you now, I'll punch you in the face.

(there ... enough bullshit machismo strutting for you? rolleyes )

The real issue here is More Gummint Messing in people's lives.
exactly. And the problem with Gummint messing in people's lives is that YOUR valuesystem gets imposed on ME.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 07:19:23 AM »
Lifer seems to have done a fantastic job of beating the everliving snot out of any possibility of having credibility.

Bravo.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 07:33:42 AM »
"That you would kill me for shooting at your fleabag shows what you are- a traitor to your species and way down the pecking order. You should have been born a bitch."

A traitor to my species? What a joke. Why should I be loyal to a species when the species as a whole has an abysman record at being loyal to itself?

I'd kill you for attempting to harm my property. That's right, under the law, pets are property, and as such can be protected by use of deadly force.

And tell me, why should I have any so-called species loyalty to someone who has stated unequivcally that he would harm my property?

In all situations when dealing with the supposedly superior human rage, loyal is earned. It's not automatic, and in my 40 years I've seen very, very few indications that it's deserved.

Robert Sears

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 08:13:03 AM »
Bergeron and Lifer,
  I would not leave one of my dogs behind to give you a lift out of an area that was being evacuated and I WOULD kill you to protect a member of my family. I'm single and my family is my Collie and my Shiloh Shepherd. I truly feel sorry for "people" who cannot understand the bond that forms between humans and their pets. My niece is is a freshman in college recently told my sister that  she misses her 2 dogs and 2 cats more than she does my sister. My niece said, there are other people to talk to here but no animals.
  For the record I did leave in the mess that was the evacuation of Houston for Rita. I took my meds,clothes, dogs and guns and left things behind to be sure there was room for the dogs.

Bob