Author Topic: Any "Kirts" about???  (Read 7407 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 06:03:15 AM »
Fig, if the people have Southern accents, isn't it safe to say that they are Southern?
Kirt, I'd say that is generally true but, to my Yankee ears, people from Kokomo have Southern accents. Smiley
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005, 07:01:39 AM »
El T

I really think Fat Fingers are at fault since "u" and "i" are next to each  other on the keyboard, That is too easy and boring, so more fun to come up with other reasons. Smiley

My birth certificate has my first name as "Steve".  Everybody wants to know/ call me/ or change it to Stephen, Steven, or , even Stefan, Stefen. They cannot or do not want to accept my parents did not want all that confusion and hassle for me...just plain jane "Steve".

My middle name is worse, and all my life , even this current semester at College, " Not only do you pronounce your last name wrong - you misspell it too."

I have always intialed things "SM". Yes folks actually think the Purchase Order, the Repair Order, or note is now "Sevice Marked".

Folks in a hurry going nowhere, not paying attention, or just don't know or care. "Get something in a database, get it on a label and mail it out".

Something  I have always used/done , to determine whom gave my name to what mailing list:

Say for instance my address is 1234 Some St.  I give out 1234 Some St, Apt A, or Suite B. This is a house, not a apt bld, or business bld.  I get the junk mail and aha...so and so is whom I gave 'that' apt/suite number to, and these junk mailings have that apt/suite number on them too.

Then I see whom sent stuff to Apt 10 and suite 540....caught another one.

Mother was concerned about some weird junk mail, I looked at the labels, seems when she attended a required business meeting about benefits and retirement matters - and had to give addy and all...well darling eldest son attended this with her [yours truly].

Mom does not live in Apt 15, she has a house - nor is there a "s" at the end of our last name. When TPTB denied they gave out, exchanged mailing lists, that darling eldest son showed the TPTB how he knew.

Mom does not get anymore junk mailings from those folks.

"Honey, that was brilliant, you are such a smart son, I didn't know you did that"

"Aw shucks Ma, twern't nuttin'"

"Oh wonderful son?"
"Yeah Ma?"

"How come I didn't get a bunch of bothersome phone calls? Did you give these numbers to the Attorney General for no call list?"

"Nah...I figured these folks having the benfits meeting, being from out of state and all, might want to know what the  time and weather was down here from time to time, so I put down your home number as being the Time & Temp from a local TV station". Tongue

The important information she needs from the proper folks are sent to her house.

These "other" folks, well my gut said "if it sounds to good it probably is", it was a required meeting and all. Mom and I got free eats and drinks so it was not a total waste of time. I got extra post-it notes, pens, pencils, and got a cheap calculater for mom's checkbook out of the deal.

See? I can be useful at times afterall. Tongue

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 07:37:51 AM »
Sgt. Bob, I say, I say, I doooo delcare, suhr, I'm jest a veggie and grilled pork eatin' Yankee.

sm, fat fingers?  Maybe so, but not always as I see handwritten "Kirt"s as on money orders or checks or the envelopes for said funds, even saw it handwritten by a Judge's court reporter (who is from Tazwell, TN, forgive me, Fig) on the back of an order I received once years ago.  BTW, your usefulness is NEVER in doubt.

It's got to be Southern or some hybird from the Butternuts in the Ohio Valley, right?

WHITHER KIRT?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 03:42:57 AM »
After re-reading the chapter on names in "Freakonomics" (income and education levels and names) and doing more research on the Errornet, I have a few theories:

Theory #1:  Kirt is an actual name of Scottish ancestry brought to the US and survived in the isolated hills of the South.  It spread to Yankeeland as Southerners moved north in search of work during the early 20th century.  Thus, people who address me or spell my name as "Kirt" do so because of a cultural influence of their Southern roots.

Theory #2:  corrpution of a name.  Indiana is replete with town names which are corruptions of cities in England, Germany and France from the Butternuts, e.g. the famed example of Gnawbone, Indiana (in the hills of Brown County) which is a corrpution of the French city of Narbonne.  "Kirt" is a corruption of "Kirk" and "Kurt".  People see my printed name, "Kirk", however only know people named "Kurt" or "Curt" so they spell my name as a corruption of both.

Theory #3:  Ignorance and lack of education.   People do not know any better.  Raised in cultures without any "Kirk"s they have no idea what my name is and are merely guessing.  However, if guessing, would not you assume one would guess "Kurt"?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 06:41:12 AM »
What is a "butternut"? (besides a squash)

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »
Fig, "butternut" is an older agnomen for those from Indiana.  For example, Abe Lincoln described his upbringing in Southern Indiana ("a land everso thick with tangles, hills, wild pig and bear") as "butternut through and through."

The name describes the colour of the clothing of the people (emmygrants from Penn's woods, Maryland and Ol' Virginny).  Cotton clothing (spring, summer and fall, wool in winter) dyed the color of light tobacco or carmel=>butternut.  They settled in Southern Indiana.  

Butternuts are also a Hoosier delicacy.  Grilled over open flame in a sauce of beer, pepper, hot peppers, fruit mango, and Italian dressing.  Mmmm, grilled veggies!  The term refers to the people, not the veggie.

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »
Mother of a Burrito!  It happened again!

Woman from South Carolina sent me a cover letter from a substance abuse center addressing me as "kirT"!!!

I tried to call her, but she was out.  I MUST find the answer, I WILL find the answer.

Kirt, you are mine, your time is near!

mtnbkr

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2005, 08:51:57 AM »
Those damn ignorant crackers!

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2005, 08:59:51 AM »
I'm tellin' ya, you or someone else has said "KirK" and they are hearing "KirT". The gist of the matter is that they are telemarketers not rocket scientists...

Wink

When I spell out my last name I have to say "F as in "Frank"-A-L-A-D as in "David" -E " and STILL they will get it wrong. rolleyes Then it's "OK, first letter F as in "Frank", second letter AAAAAAAA, third letter..."

You might try "Kirk as in Captain Kirk" but the younger ones might not have ever heard of Cap'n Kirk... shocked

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2005, 11:33:52 AM »
Hey! There's another Kirk! I was watching some stuff on "Growing Pains" the TV show and one of the characters real name is Kirk Cameron, what a coincidence, that's gotta be like a million to one shot that I would see the same name on TV while this thread was posted. See, you're not alone ET. You should get ahold of him and see if he has the same problem.

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2005, 01:14:58 PM »
Curses!  She was no help.  She had never heard of the name KIRT before and merely misspelled my name (but why KIRT?).

The answer is out there. . . the KIRT files. . . .