Author Topic: Firefly/Serenity...gaining serious momentum.  (Read 5742 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Firefly/Serenity...gaining serious momentum.
« on: September 27, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »
Sci Fi Channel today (9/26) is running a Firefly marathon.  
In the last few weeks, I've watched a few episodes with a glance askance, wondering if there was something to the small but INTENSE and growing fascination with this show.

Knowing that Serenity will come out later this week, and seeing some new fora (forums plural?) devoted to this story, I'm starting to see the beginning of something very significant in the entertainment world.  

This seems to me a "people's choice" that has generated enough buzz (despite the intent of the entertainment cognoscenti to scuttle it) among hardcore fans because of the well done dialog, scenic appeal, and strength of characters and story line, to make this a success on its own merits.

Futuristic and Wild West simutaneously, bluesy acoustic music score, it's very captivating.

What do you all think?
Ben/Fig

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 08:10:20 AM »
I'm hoping you're right. Another season of Firefly would be a dream come true. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Strings

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:52:47 AM »
At a guess, I think Joss is a bit afraid of having it come back to TV. First, becuase he'll be stuck for several seasons (as with Buffy). Second, I don't think he can run with the characters the same way on TV that he can on the big screen...

Justin

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 07:15:51 PM »
From what I've heard, a resurrection of the series on TV isn't likely to happen, but apparently most of the cast have signed a three-picture deal.

One of the very positive unintended consequences of porting television series to the DVD format is that it gives the studios a much, much better idea of just how popular a show is in an "ideal circumstances" sort of way, free of network pre-emptions, assignments to bad time slots, or the other idiocies of airing a show on a network.

Firefly is one show that has gotten a second breath as a result of DVD.  Family Guy is the other, which FOX uncancelled after tremendously strong sales of the series on DVD.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Craig

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 02:03:20 AM »
has anyone else noticed that shepard book isnt seen in the previews?  or am i just not seeing him?

i am seeing it this weekend and maybe next weekend too.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 04:17:47 AM »
I have tickets for midnight tonight.  Cheesy

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 06:47:28 AM »
has anyone else noticed that shepard book isnt seen in the previews?
I've seen him during some preview stuff on TV. Apparently he's in the movie, just no longer part of the crew.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Warren

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 03:32:50 PM »
Book's being off the ship is  explained in the comic book.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 08:29:54 PM »
There's a comic book?

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »
OK.  Something is driving me nuts here.

I believe the actor and actress who play Serenity's captain and ship's engineer were in an earlier TV series where they played exactly the same roles together (captain and ship's engineer).  It was a "late night on the sci fi channel" sort of thing, circa...2002 or so.  Produced in Canada, I *think*.  They were bounty hunters.  My memory may be shaky but there may be one other Firefly/Serenity actress involved, the black gal that provides "muscle" on Serenity but I'm not certain.

What the hell was the name of that show?!  Firefly was like a vastly improved version of the same basic concept...lot of similarities, junker of a ship, odd jobs, all the while weird stuff was going on everybody's trying to figure out, including shady gov't figures...

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 04:25:14 AM »
Jim,

IMDB is under the impression that the only work Nathan Fillion and Jewel Staite have in common is Firefly/Serenity and associated stuff.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Craig

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 04:43:05 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

it shows bios of all the actors including past works they showed only firefly and serienty as a match.  site is great has reviews and pictures from most movies and tv shows.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 05:23:09 AM »
I believe the actor and actress who play Serenity's captain and ship's engineer were in an earlier TV series where they played exactly the same roles together (captain and ship's engineer).  It was a "late night on the sci fi channel" sort of thing, circa...2002 or so.
Firefly aired from Sep 2002 to Dec 2002.

Sure that's not what you're thinking of?

Warren

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 06:48:43 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
There's a comic book?
Yup, a 3 issue mini-series from Dark Horse. It fills the time gap betwen the last episode of the show and the movie.

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 09:48:41 AM »
NO, not Firefly.

Right, I'm not 100% sure about Nathan.  I am re: the engineer (Staite).  She was a lot younger, late teens.  And the show was WAY low budget.

I am tell y'all, IMDB is missing one.  Possibly because it was made in Canada, I remember that much.  I went through the IMDB priors listings for those two plus the black gal.  Nothing.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
I've been through that list before.  Trust me, the show I'm thinking of couldn't possibly hit the top 50.  Or 100 Smiley.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:10 AM »
Gina Torres (Zoe) was on a show called Cleopatra 2525. I never saw it but it looks like it satisfied your cheap scifi criterion.

Edit: missed your post on earlier search.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »
I've been through that list before.  Trust me, the show I'm thinking of couldn't possibly hit the top 50.  Or 100  .
That dont prove nuffin.  Some of the shows on that list couldnt possibly be there, either.  Smiley

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 11:13:22 AM »
Well, I just saw it.

Washout, in my book.

(Yes, I meant to say that.)

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »
Quote from: cordex
Well, I just saw it.

Washout, in my book.

(Yes, I meant to say that.)
Boooo.

Does that mean you didn't care for it?

James

Justin

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 07:25:28 PM »
Jim, Gina Torres was also in Matrix 2 & 3.

Just got back from seeing it.

I'm at a loss as to what to say.  I suspect it'll be my favorite film of the entire year.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »
I thought it was sweet.  but then again, I like action movies.

atek3