Author Topic: UN taking control of internet domain servers  (Read 1619 times)

client32

• friend
UN taking control of internet domain servers
« on: September 30, 2005, 05:36:41 AM »
This recap came off of slashdot.org, I thought it might make for a interesting discussion.
I would assume most here agree woth Mr. Gross

"A U.S. official strongly objected to any notion of a U.N. body taking control of the domain servers that direct traffic on the Internet." From the article: "'We will not agree to the U.N. taking over the management of the Internet,' said Ambassador David Gross, the U.S. coordinator for international communications and information policy at the State Department. 'Some countries want that. We think that's unacceptable.' Many countries, particularly developing ones, have become increasingly concerned about the U.S. control, which stems from the country's role in creating the Internet as a Pentagon project and funding much of its early development."
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Strings

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 05:56:33 AM »
Sounds to me kinda like the suits against Microsoft: "You developed the idea, and have been making advances, and we want you punmished for it ('cause we can't keep up)!"

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:23:14 AM »
I'm surprised no has said it yet but:

All your server are belong to us!

Heh-heh.  Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tongue

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:38:26 AM »
While the Microsoft suits did have some merit to them, yeah, pretty much the same concept.

I do have a real problem though, when someone invents something that everyone thinks they need to have, so eventually everyone else is complaining about that body controlling it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
The United Nations belongs in Zimbabwe, not the United States.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 04:16:37 PM »
Why would any responsible adult think the UN is capable of running anything except a galactic scale bribery scam?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 05:23:29 PM »
Regarding this subject, I still say we should tell the UN to get bent, make their own Internet, and see how many people hitch their star to that wagon. It would be a superb way to show the utter incompetence of the UN.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 11:09:50 PM »
So how long until this hand-over of the Internet to the UN will anti UN (and pro gun) sites either disappear, or just not be available outside the US?

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 11:39:26 AM »
Now what would we call a UN agency dedicated to this task... hmm... Ministry of Truth maybe? rolleyes
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN