Author Topic: Number of mixed race families on the rise  (Read 4795 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Number of mixed race families on the rise
« on: October 02, 2005, 12:51:27 PM »
Oh, what should I call myself.  Oh, what should I call myself.

I have an idea.  How about calling yourself an AMERICAN, especially since that is what you are.  That is what I put on all forms that I that have an "Other" listed on them, including government and census forms.  
It really freaks out these pollsters that call and ask "What nationality are you?"  and I say American.  Maybe, I should start adding "And proud of it."

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=3926509

Michelle Craig's friends toss out, in alternate turns, that she is "too white" or "too black." As one of America's 7 million multiracial people, the 20-year-old has grown accustomed to hearing, "So, what are you?"

She doesn't mind explaining; she's grown up openly speaking about her black, white and Japanese heritage.

She's gotten used to checking multiple boxes on exams and applications and then having an administrator decide what race she'll be for the day. She's no longer fazed by having to explain that she's not adopted by or married to her white father.

With 41 percent of America's multiracial population younger than 18, how to balance different heritages is becoming a growing focus.

In "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," an Anglo/Puerto Rican teenager struggles with whether she fits into her father's new white family.

Comedian Dave Chappelle, in the first season of his Comedy Central show, launched a discussion of the confusion by having celebrities of ambiguous descent such as Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter and Mariah Carey "drafted" by different racial groups on his comedy series.

The world of mixed-race children is even explored in the Harry Potter books, where "mudblood" is the derogatory term for those who don't come from pureblood magician families.

The trend is especially pronounced in the West. More than 11 percent of Arizona's marriages are mixed, almost twice the national average.

Craig, and her 17-year-old sister, Stephanie, are the result of one of those marriages.

Although they both grew up eating Japanese breakfast with chopsticks or going to origami clubs with their mother, they have been defined differently by the world.

"My younger sister looks like me, but she's the white version _ thinner lips, straight hair, thinner nose," Michelle Craig said.

Friends ask, "Which one of you is adopted?"

She struggles to separate comments like that from how she views herself.

"Over time, society puts you where they want to put you. Over time, the more you hear something, the more you identify with it," she said. "The less you hear that, the more freedom you have to choose."

People put her in a box. "Maybe even on a daily basis," she said. "Like when you get in the car with someone and they put the station on an R and B or hip-hop station."

She admits she identifies more often with black culture but gravitates toward mixed men. "I like somebody that's willing to accept everything they are."

Her mixed heritage allows her to float between cultures. "Depending on how I wear my hair and makeup, people will talk Spanish to me or give me my change in Spanish."

She's rarely encountered overt racism, save for the middle-school girl who called her the N-word and ended up ostracized until she apologized.

It's the more indirect ignorance that bothers her.

For example, she visited North Carolina with a black friend and picked up a slight twang. A white friend asked her, "Have you been around black people?"

Unlike her sister, who looks more Asian and says she's "one way all the time," Michelle said she changes, depending on whom she's with. But she doesn't like the idea of being claimed by a group, like when friends feel like they have the right to comment on whether she's "black enough" or "white enough."

"In general, people would probably prefer if you identify with one thing."

But she can't be that way.

"I don't pick myself apart anymore," she said. "Everything is just blended. You can't really deny one part of yourself."

The most difficult question for Anisa Lee Morado came before she even started the standardized test she took as a fourth-grader last year.

She had to check a box on her ethnicity.

"They asked, 'What are you?' " the 10-year-old said. "I didn't know what to check, so I just checked Asian and Hispanic."

She was still thinking about it when she came home, asking her mother if she did the right thing.

The family blends the two cultures seamlessly, much like Lorraine Lee's childhood home incorporated Chinese figurines with Mexican canary yellow, pink and turquoise walls. Lee, who is Chinese and Mexican and grew up speaking Spanish and English, doesn't think twice about serving stir-fry and calabacitas or Mexican beans and white rice.

Lee, a longtime executive with Chicanos por la Causa, visits the classes of Anisa and Rita, 12, bringing cake on Día de los Muertos and barbecued pork for the Chinese new year.

Her proudest accomplishment, she jokes, is that both of her children can eat with chopsticks.

She and her husband, Alonzo Morado, aren't as pleased that their daughters don't speak Spanish.

"We always thought they'd be bilingual," Morado said.

But back then, Barney and Sesame Street didn't come in Spanish. Neither did kindergarten.

The assimilation bothers the parents.

"If you're talking about blended in terms of understanding and accepting each other, that's good," Lee said. "But if we're all blending in a melting pot, there's not an acknowledgment that we have ingredients that are rich and important."

Even though she is Chinese and proud of her heritage, it's uncomfortable sometimes even for her. She wouldn't go to Chinese restaurants when she and Morado were dating, afraid someone would speak to her in Chinese and she wouldn't understand.

When she visited Hong Kong, she inadvertently offended her host by asking for white rice _ peasant food in China.

"I remember growing up not feeling fully accepted. I was not 100 percent Mexican, I was not 100 percent Chinese," she said. "But I never felt 'less than.' "

Even though she remembers a group of kindergarten children running around her in a circle, chanting a derogatory nursery rhyme, her daughters' experiences have been less painful.

Once, a boy in Anisa's class called her "Chinese girl." Her older sister took care of it, cornering him and telling him he was being racist. He stopped.

Lee's children, she hopes, are paving the way to acceptance, though she admits there's still work to do.

"I believe they will have great answers to the racial problems we have today."

As children, Collin Bryant, 17, and his sister, Erin Bryant-Pollard, 15, knew they were different.

Collin, their mother Marian Bryant, 50, explained, was milk chocolate. Erin was white chocolate.

Though the two were raised by Erin's father, who is white, Collin's biological dad is black.

This worried his mother. "The one thing I couldn't readily provide was African-American culture," said Bryant, a substitute teacher and budgeting forecaster. Collin has a black godfather who educated him on black history and culture.

He's firm about how he views himself: He is black.

He's even considering going to an all-black college. He's searching for a connection, but he worries about missing diversity.

Articulating why he feels more black is difficult for the high school senior. He just knows it feels more natural.

He's close with his younger sister, a high school sophomore; the two hang at the mall, play basketball, lift weights, watch television.

When the two were younger, their differences weren't so obvious.

"When we were little I was like, 'This is my brother.' No one cared," Erin said. "About fifth grade, it was 'Well, wait . . . How does this work out?' I'd say we have the same mom but different dad."

When they were young, Marian took them to Mass.

"I remember being surprised and sad and hurt when I got so many looks," she said. But now it seems to be a "kinder, gentler, world." Her kids, she said, know better.

They address their differences openly, without awkwardness.

"When we go somewhere and there's more African-Americans, Collin will say 'Hey, what's up?' even if they don't know each other," Erin said. "It seems like they're more friendly _ closer together as a race."

"If she has a question," Collin said, "like we're watching TV, she'll say, 'Why do black people do that?' Or if we're watching videos, she'll be like 'What does that mean?,' " Collin said, flashing a grin at his younger sister.

People have a tough time grasping that they're siblings and not a couple, an idea that clearly cracks them both up.

Collin sometimes feels more seriously about their differences. He doesn't like the way blacks are portrayed in the media, and he sometimes feels "torn" between his heritages.

When he reads about slavery, for example, "I feel bad. Like how could this happen?" he said. But "I don't see any need to get mad at white people. That's part of me. I look at it from two different perspectives."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:13:32 PM »
Oh, no!  Racial purity is endangered!  What shall we do?*

Funny how an acceptance of diversity may eventually lead us to a point where no race is really recognizable anymore.  Won't be very diverse then, will we?  Except for the million other factors that make us different.

*Sarcasm
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

onions!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 04:08:05 PM »
Ha,reminds me of my next door neighbors.

The dad is a very dark skinned black man.He has a son from an earlier marriage that shares his shade.His wife is a typical white woman.Her daughter though,from a prior marriage,is lily white w/red hair.Together they have a pair of teenagers.Those two are just about right between their parents in skin tone.Their family gatherings are pretty cosmopolitan to be sure.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »
When people ask what my heritage is I always say 'native American.'  I was born right here in the good ol' USA therefore, I am a native of this country. I do happen to have some amount of indian blood in me I just don't know how much but that is irrelevant.

...has left the building.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »
I can relate to their struggle, I'm biracial. It is only a pain in the ass when people make assumptions about you. For example, I'm half Caucasian, half Asian...but in Indiana, people mistake me for anything from a pure "Chinese person" to a Mexican. As a society, we're in a transitional period regarding race where there are boxes people want others to fit in. Jeter, Carey, and Woods are all great examples and Chappelle does an excellent job commentating on how society wants them to be one thing or another.

I grew up on a horse ranch in Pennsylvania, but at the same time, I was studying Asian martial arts and philosophy. My personal style is definitely a blend between cowboy and samurai...so to me it is beautiful. To others, it can be confusing.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 04:51:43 PM »
"What are you?" "Is it a boy or a girl?"  "Where YOU from?"  These are basic questions that every human has.  It's good that the answer has less and less with what we privileges we have.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
I like to think of myself as a member of the human race, although I've to admit there are days I'd just as soon not.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 07:21:49 PM »
I knew one couple consisted of a 95lb Filipino lady and a 350lb Caucasian construction worker.  Their first baby was 9.5lbs.

Owwww...

Smiley

Mom and baby came out of it OK though...modern medicine is great.

Only "problem" I've ever heard of with a mixed-race marriage and it really wasn't all that connected to race.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 10:00:54 PM »
Mixed race? PUH!
Try being a Polish Catholic marrying a Protestant German girl and getting along with the father-in-law. Smiley
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 04:55:26 AM »
Remember Sammy Davis' comment?  "I'm black, Puerto Rican and Jewish.  Irish guys would drive by and yell, "Get'im!  He's all of'em!"

I guess I was lucky.  I lived for a year in Manila when I was fifteen.  It was there I first saw Eurasians.  Then consider how much of a minority is a tall blond guy in downtown Manila, Hong Kong or Yokohama.  A real shortage of Presbyterians on the other side of the Date Line, too.

That made it easy to learn to judge people on their behavior, not by other trivial stuff.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 05:16:17 AM »
Oh, no!  Racial purity is endangered!  What shall we do?
How about encouraging both situations, "pure strains" marrying and having kids AND the "mixed race" families having kids?  Keep the gene pool as diverse and interesting as possible.  IDIC
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 08:27:33 AM »
Must we bring Star Trek into this?  

Is there a benefit to keeping "pure" racial bloodlines?  I thought bringing together different strains prevented two parents contributing the same genetic flaw.  Or am I just talking out of my ignorance?

On the other hand, we do need another government bureaucracy, and this could be just the thing.

Strings

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 09:54:59 AM »
>Is there a benefit to keeping "pure" racial bloodlines?<

Got a better question for ya: IS there such a thing as a "pure racial bloodline", at least here in the States?

Personally, I don't care who mates with whom, s'long's both parties are consenting adults. I've dated several different races, and never noticed that one was less human than another...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:00:35 AM »
fistful: Do you dismiss the message simply due to source?  Isn't that what the gun-grabbers do with Eddie Eagle from the NRA?

Yes, there is a benefit to keeping "pure strains", which is as I stated above, keeping the gene pool as diverse as possible.  A homogeneous population is one that is susceptible to pandemics wiping out very portions of the population.  A diverse population is a resilient one.

And there is the aesthetics to consider as well.  This world would be a much poorer place to live in without the wide range of coloration and physical types we currently enjoy.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 12:19:52 PM »
Excellent.

The more diverse a gene pool, the stronger/healthier the offspring.

Another term for "Racial Purity" is inbreeding.

onions!

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 01:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
And there is the aesthetics to consider as well.  This world would be a much poorer place to live in without the wide range of coloration and physical types we currently enjoy.
White,round,& bald.I've a lock on the volleyball type.

Anybody have a long,thin,tall,mesh colored sister that'll match me?

Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
Got a better question for ya: IS there such a thing as a "pure racial bloodline", at least here in the States?
I doubt that there is one anywhere, but it is a very subjective question.  What is race?  What are the boundaries, and how is it defined?  If you'll take a second look, I also used quotation marks to indicate that I didn't believe in the terms I used.  

Just to make things clear, I favor interracial marriage, as it tends to dissolve racism.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »
I'm not seeing the problem with the article, I guess. It's very human to want to feel connected to people like you, or to know about your history and ancestry. I don't like the term African American as an every day term, but then again, no one ever has a problem with a good old German-American Fest, as long as it involves lots of beer, so as far as clinging to "culture" I'm ok with it.

Funny how we all celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but people get all fizzy about Kwanzaa.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 02:14:25 PM »
41Mag, what color is mesh?

Saluki, are talking about the Wikipedia site?  Is Star Trek the source you refer to?  I laughed out loud that you took my remark so seriously.  I like Trek alright, although I'm no real fan of Voyager.  I do like Mr. Spock, though.  

I don't think we can increase genetic diversity by keeping "pure strains."  The gene pool will always be just as diverse over-all; the question is whether those desirable genes will be localized in one race or geographic area, or whether they will be distributed throughout the world's population.  This doesn't mean we'll all be the same.  That would require several centuries, I should think, of full racial integration, world-wide.  Even if that does happen, wouldn't we adapt to diseases as well as other organisms?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
I'm not seeing the problem with the article, I guess....Funny how we all celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but people get all fizzy about Kwanzaa.
I think this is because Kwanzaa is seen as a purposeful attempt to seperate Black Americans from the mainstream American culture, by replacing Christmas.  Granted, Christmas is a Christian holiday, and not an American one, but it is a part of American culture.  To many Whites, the Kwanzaa holiday seems along the same lines as the Nation of Islam movement.  That is, Christianity and American holidays are white folks' culture; Black people need an African (or psuedo-African) culture.

I don't think most of us "have a problem" with the article, either.

Strings

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »
>Funny how we all celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but people get all fizzy about Kwanzaa.<

Hmmm... could it be, when questioning the originator of Kwanza about his beliefs, an interviewer was given the response "oh... and we hate white people"...

Don't know about you, but I've always LOVED the Yule tradition of sitting around the fire, planning out our next lynchin'... rolleyes

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
My problem with Kwanzaa is that it's supposed to represent African culture.  Okay, fine.  WHICH African culture?  Egypt?  Algeria?  East Africa and the peoples around Ethopia?  The southern bushmen of the Kalahari area?  West African coastal cultures?

If there is some aspect of primitivism involved, then "African" culture is little different from that of the South Pacific or the Americas except for local materials used in the various forms of art and decoration, and climate-related styles of dress and housing.

IOW, it's really a giant shuck on those who know little of either archaeology or history.

Art

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 04:13:30 PM »
I have no problems with mixed race families. I've been in the military for 20+ years, it's very common.

Halle Berry, on the other hand, probably wants nothing to do with my ideas of starting a mixed race family with her.  Sad

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 01:57:54 AM »
I just figure people can celebrate any holiday they want and they won't get any interference from me. I'd prefer Kwanzaa to something made up by Hallmark anyway.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 05:10:57 AM »
Sure, Barbara.  But I gotta shake my head when folks allege historical stuff with no knowledge of history.  Sorta like the Nation of Islam folks who (apparently) unknowingly honor the Arabs who sold blacks into slavery.  Duh?

Wilful, deliberate ignorance bugs me.  Reminds me too much of my dealings with the Texas legislature.

Art