Author Topic: Relative Weather?  (Read 1764 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Relative Weather?
« on: October 03, 2005, 08:26:53 AM »
Is weather all in one's mind?

Today I ran into a friend of mine who just returned from a business trip in Dallas, Texas.  As we stood on the sidewalk it was SUNNY, NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY, AND 86 DEGREES, she complained of how "cold" it was "up here."  Mouth agape, I simply shook my head and said "oh, well, the weather is much colder this far north."  

I looked on Yahoo's weather thingy, it is 84 degrees in Dallas reportedly.  It is warmer here than in Dallas.

Is human comfort simply all in the mind?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Relative Weather?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:47:54 AM »
I get the same crap here in Iowa when folks come to visit from down south on a early fall or late spring day. I could see their point when its late January and its 0 degrees Fahrenheit at noon with a 20 mph wind.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
Relative Weather?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:17:02 AM »
Yes.  My wife is cold when it's 75deg in the house during winter, but comfortable when the house is 75deg during the summer.

Chris

Relative Weather?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 01:03:34 PM »
Am I the only one amazed by how late autumn is coming this year? My walnut tree still has nearly all its leaves and the other ones are barely starting to turn. I think it was more progressed last year in August.

Relative Weather?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »
Yes.

Many of us recall growing up and the Weather Person using a Marker to draw fronts and weather patterns.
Don't recall the mention of "Heat Idex" or "Wind Chill".  Just some days it "felt" more hot or cold than others.

People Today want immediate everything. They want to know what the weather will be in 20 minutes, and in the exact spot they will be in upon arrival.  

" I didnt' carry an umbrella because the weather folks said it was supposed to be dry at 5th and Main at 2:35:47 PM ...the rain was supposed to stay up at 14th and Main".

My mother can be watching the Weather , and tune everything out except the part  about turning cooler. She gets up   and < shiver, rubs hands> heads to thermostat to adjust temp.

The fact "turning cooler overnight"  means 70*F instead of the run of 76*F  overnight we have had for the past 4 nights has nothing to with it.

I like the part when she wakes up to see the weather elsewhere, ( documentary, old re-run, whatever)  and turns blue. Granted the weather was from somehwhere like Iceland, she still is turning blue, shivering all the while HERE it is still a hot, humid, 85* at 10PM.

Laptops at Moms are fun.

"Is it going to be hot and humid again tomorrow?"  < TV weather has just ended mind you>

"Hang on, no looks like another Tropcial Storm Depression is going to hit the Wendy's across the street from your work".

My best one...

"For Sunday...Looks like the Methodists are supposed to take Luby's by Storm at 1150AM, I suggest you and your Baptist Old Lady Sunday School Class - just do Sunday School. Otherwise  you are gonna miss the good stuff and totally miss out on the Peach Cobbler." Take your umbrella in case you have to defend yourself against the last bite of cobbler"

Mom can still toss a magazine pretty good for a old gal...missed me, still not a bad toss.

She called that Sunday - just a fussing, Preacher went on and on and on...."didn't let us out until 12:25PM", it started raining at noon, my umbrella was in the car, and the food at the buffet looked all picked over...they were out of cobbler".

I told her so...

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Relative Weather?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »
Yep.

Our house is shaded much of the day this time of year.  We have come home to 64 degrees in the house in the summer and it feels really good.  In the winter, if the house gets to 64 degrees we are huddled around the wood stove.

A 50 degree day in September has me running the heater in the truck with my coat on.  A 50 degree day in March and I have the windows down.

My favorite time to cut and split firewood is a sunny day in the thirties with no wind.  I can work up a good sweat on a day like that.

This time of year, if its over 45 in the morning, I don't take a jacket (it was 46 this morning).  In March if it hits 40, I'll be outside in a t-shirt.

grampster

• friend
Relative Weather?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 03:56:50 PM »
ditto
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Relative Weather?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
Whew!

For a second there, I was thinking it was a thread about "Relative Humidity".  Sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Relative Weather?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 05:06:02 PM »
I wore a long-sleeved t-shirt to work today. Does that count?

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Antibubba

• friend
Relative Weather?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:29:01 PM »
The natives in my area will be going to cold-weather gear soon.  It's always funny to me, in November, to see the kids in winter coats, toboggan hats, and gloves, just because the daily high temperature is below 60.  That's still shorts weather for me!  I hope I never adapt.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.