Author Topic: "Not Responsible for Accidents" or, "You might be a Redneck..."  (Read 2617 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
"Not Responsible for Accidents" or, "You might be a Redneck..."
« on: October 03, 2005, 09:42:21 AM »
If you've ever used a winchtruck instead of a jack to change a flat tire, you might be a Redneck!

I think the sign makes the pic!

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »
Great photo.  Is the cable going over some part of the carwash?
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
As a country boy, I have a bit of doubt about where the redneckism fits in here.  How about, "You might be a guy with no jack, but with access to a winch truck."?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

matis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »
Looks perfectly sensible to me.....

If that makes one a redneck, then I guess I'm one.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »
What's wrong with a little ingenuity?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
naw, crt360, it looks like an "A-frame" or "gin-pole" rig.  

A backhoe is a helluvan engine hoist, too; also unloads 55-gallon drums.  And all that hydraulic stuff lets you straighten bumpers, too.  Lower a stabilizer on a grader tire and break the bead...

Jack?  I don' need no steenkin' jack!

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 05:37:44 PM »
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise.

A two ton jack, even a scissor jack is great for installation of a Garbage Dispoal under  a sink. Allows one the use of both hands to get everything centered and fastened. Beats holding the Disposal with one hand,and doing the fitting and fastening with the other one.

You can even stop, go pee, have a smoke and the disposal is still right up against the underside of sink where you left it.

I was raised in the South, still here. Work smarter - not harder I say.

Toliet plunger takes dents out of cars.

Bumper jacks are for getting dents out of fender welds from inside trunk.

Hoists off the top of second level of a barn are for holding the Ford hood steady as you ease it back on . To lift Ford truck up to install shocks, or change a flat.  The John Deere tractor is for pulling rope and holding rope going thru pully on barn hoist btw.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 06:10:49 PM »
So one fine day my bike's front piston suffered a burn-through.

The twit that sold it to me had put on a very high performance air cleaner.  I asked him if the (obviously stock) carb had been re-jetted for the new intake.  "Sure has!"

Yeah, right.

It burned itself out at high speed.  Pipe was too loud to hear the pinging.

Sigh.

So I ordered a whole set of go-fast bits: new ceramic-lined barrels, new forged race pistons, high-perf heads, even a new and better Mikuni carb.

Well swapping all that out without pulling the motor from the Buell frame was easy.  The only real pain on a Buell is the rear motor mount and it's a REAL bear to deal with.  I didn't want to go there, it would mean pulling the whole rear suspension first, I'd basically have pieces everywhere.

But with the old barrels and pistons off, I realized I had a problem: there were still bits of old piston in the bottom of the crank.  Aluminum piston, so using a magnet was out of the question.  So it looked like I had to tear it all apart anyways to shake the motor upside down.

But then I had an idea.

A sick, twisted, warped idea.

Yup.

Hung the whole bike upside down, blew the crank out with an air hose and extension tube Smiley.

It worked Cheesy.

As a bonus, it made swapping the oil pump underneath dead easy.

BTW: this was done in the rear bed of my motorhome before it was converted to a rear garage instead of an open racecar hauler rear.  I braced the roof cross-beams with a couple of 2x4s and then used winch straps to raise it.  Oh, and the 5,000lb steel winch that was used to haul racecars up was still present and was part of what I used to lift the bike.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
naw, crt360, it looks like an "A-frame" or "gin-pole" rig.  

A backhoe is a helluvan engine hoist, too; also unloads 55-gallon drums.  And all that hydraulic stuff lets you straighten bumpers, too.  Lower a stabilizer on a grader tire and break the bead...

Jack?  I don' need no steenkin' jack!

Smiley, Art
Know all about the Backhoe engine hoist thing!  Me and my cousin's friend pulled the motor from his Blazer using a backhoe (chained the engine up once we'd pulled the mounts / bellhousing bolts and torque converter, )
I hadda guide that blasted thing down, (and I didn't really trust the backhoe, the hydraulic system did leak some, but it worked well enough to get the job done,
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 06:30:56 PM »
Quote from: sm
Toliet plunger takes dents out of cars.
Damned right.  That's how my dad fixed both his '82 Chevrolet Celebrity and my grampa's '82 Subaru.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 06:47:04 PM »
When I lived in the seedier part of San Francisco, there were a lot of "backhoes".