Author Topic: Business analogy  (Read 1033 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Business analogy
« on: October 05, 2005, 05:56:10 AM »
I've been self employed for 6 years now and I thought I'd pass this little analogy I dreamed up of what running a business is about. A live operating ship is constantly taking on water. It is up to the crew to remove this water and minimize those leaks that are not necessary to the operation of the ship. Some leaks are necessary, cooling for instance, while others are unnecessary. Leaky pipes etc. If the crew doesn't manage the removal of the water correctly. No more ship. Same with a business, only think of the the constant flow of debt it incurs as the water. Your job is to make sure the necssary debt gets bailed out of the business and to PLUG THOSE HOLES where unnecessary debt is leaking in or vice versa where money is leaking out.

Time for me to quit fooling around now and GET TO WORK!!

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
Business analogy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 07:32:43 AM »
Unless you're the Government...

Then you convince people that taking on water is a good thing. "If we show the terrorists we're afraid of a little water, then the terrorist win!" As the boat sinks lower and lower into the water, the leaders insist that bailing would be counterproductive and instead launch a multi-billion dollar initiative to fund studies of underwater breathing...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Business analogy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »
Ah, familiar with the .gov I see...

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!