Author Topic: New Senate bill requires all credit card transactions be reported  (Read 2347 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Specifically lists 3rd party stuff like paypal as well.  angry

http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571

The official Senate summary.

http://rpc.senate.gov/public/_files/L62HR3221Houseamendments0618SN.pdf

A portion.

Payment Card and Third Party Network Information Reporting. The proposal requires information reporting on payment card and third party network transactions. Payment settlement entities, including merchant acquiring banks and third party settlement organizations, or third party payment facilitators acting on their behalf, will be required to report the annual gross amount of reportable transactions to the IRS and to the participating payee. Reportable transactions include any payment card transaction and any third party network transaction. Participating payees include persons who accept a payment card as payment and third party networks who accept payment from a third party settlement organization in settlement of transactions. A payment card means any card issued pursuant to an agreement or arrangement which provides for standards and mechanisms for settling the transactions. Use of an account number or other indicia associated with a payment card will be treated in the same manner as a payment card. A de minimis exception for transactions of $10,000 or less and 200 transactions or less applies to payments by third party settlement organizations. The proposal applies to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2010. Back-up withholding provisions apply to amounts paid after December 31, 2011.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: New Senate bill requires all credit card transactions be reported
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »

Too many people starting to make a living off online sales.  IRS needs to keep tabs on them.  I'm just amazed it took this long before they started trying to throttle Internet commerce.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Remember, you are not being oppressed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »
Well, I'll just go back to using USPS money orders, then.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
Can anyone decipher the double speak?

Don't think it will pass.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »

Hey, if they can pass the Patriot Act....they can pass anything...
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
They want the all-pervasive black market of cyberpunk dystopia realllllly bad, don't they.

Keep pushing, guys, keep pushing. Make the underground economy worthwhile, then "BAWWW" when the tax revenues suddenly drop as the transactions go under the surface...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »

They want to hit people that run eBay stores and other online stores because it's not easy to tax them accurately at the moment.  That's it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »

Looks like they're just shoring up differences between the House and Senate versions right now.  I'd give it a 90% chance of the Senate passing it.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
Government: making things harder and more expensive since....forever.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
I thought the government had access to that info anyway.   I have read in the news where a fugative is traveling across the country and they can follow him by his credit card expendatures.........chris3

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
I thought the government had access to that info anyway.   I have read in the news where a fugative is traveling across the country and they can follow him by his credit card expendatures.........chris3

There's a substantial difference between the police showing up with a warrant for a given wanted person's credit card information(including continuing updates) and having ALL transactions sent to a federal agency.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
They want to hit people that run eBay stores and other online stores because it's not easy to tax them accurately at the moment.  That's it.

That doesn't make any sense.  The taxes on internet stores would be at the state level (sales tax).  All the fed are concerned with is income tax.  If they are going after that all they have to do is lower the limit on reported deposits to $1.

With the $10,000 exception limit it looks more like they are trying to keep tabs on large single-sum transactions (i.e. large-scale money laundering via the interwebz).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
de minimis exception for transactions of $10,000 or less

Won't be long that will just be a tank of gas Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin