Author Topic: "The Resistance Begins: New York Gun Owners Refuse to Register"  (Read 5152 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
"The Resistance Begins: New York Gun Owners Refuse to Register"
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/01/26/the-resistance-begins-new-york-gun-owners-refuse-to-register/

Take it for what it's worth.  It's on the Internet, so you know it's true.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Waitone

• friend
Re: "The Resistance Begins: New York Gun Owners Refuse to Register"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
Keep kicking dog and sooner or later it will turn and attack you.  The fact that resistance begins in Noo Yark is encouraging.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
I find this encouraging as well. 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
Stories of disobedience should be published far and wide. People need the inspiration.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Here's some more info on that Missouri bill they mentioned. It would require parents to inform their kids' schools that they own guns, and then impose some kind of safe storage regime. I'm not going to worry too much about the details, since it is likely not going anywhere.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/missouri-lawmaker-introduces-bill-criminalizing-failure-to-report-gun-ownership-to-childs-school/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
Here's some more info on that Missouri bill they mentioned. It would require parents to inform their kids' schools that they own guns, and then impose some kind of safe storage regime. I'm not going to worry too much about the details, since it is likely not going anywhere.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/missouri-lawmaker-introduces-bill-criminalizing-failure-to-report-gun-ownership-to-childs-school/

The "Show Me Where Your Guns Are" state  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »
So we can forever put to rest the idea that gun registration is a "common sense" measure that won't lead to confiscation.

http://www.therightsphere.com/2012/12/ny-gov-cuomo-gun-confiscation-could-be-an-option/
In the interview, Mr. Cuomo did not offer specifics about the measures he might propose, but, while discussing assault weapons, he said: “Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option.

I guess he figures that talking about confiscation will make gun owners think that registration might not be so bad, after all. Or does he want to foment civil disobedience, so he can arrest them?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »
The "Show Me Where Your Guns Are" state  =|

Nope. It will die a fast and painless death.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
still calling my reps,  funny how they're not answering their phones anymore (aside from bonacic who voted against the bill.), and they don't return my calls.   ???

the "NYSRPA" is worth supporting, imo.  they seem to be more in touch with ny reps than the nra.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
So we can forever put to rest the idea that gun registration is a "common sense" measure that won't lead to confiscation.

http://www.therightsphere.com/2012/12/ny-gov-cuomo-gun-confiscation-could-be-an-option/
I guess he figures that talking about confiscation will make gun owners think that registration might not be so bad, after all. Or does he want to foment civil disobedience, so he can arrest them?

Add that to the fact that registration DID lead to confiscation in CA, and you have enough to call BS on those that say "they aren't going to take your guns!" 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »
still calling my reps,  funny how they're not answering their phones anymore (aside from bonacic who voted against the bill.), and they don't return my calls.   ???

the "NYSRPA" is worth supporting, imo.  they seem to be more in touch with ny reps than the nra.

I was thinking about Joining SCOPE, but not so sure after talking with their VP.  Any experience with the NYSRPA?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
Add that to the fact that registration DID lead to confiscation in CA, and you have enough to call BS on those that say "they aren't going to take your guns!"

Don't forget that it also happened with the Sullivan Act in NYC.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »
A particular prescient post in the comments section:

"I believe they want people to rise up. They passed this in one area of the Country so the people will rise up and give them a reason to declare martial law! The rest of the Country needs to stand up along with New York! We cannot let them use New York to teach us all a 'lesson'! If one goes down the rest will follow!"

In any other time in the recent era, that comment would be all tin-foil hattery, not so much anymore.

Obama isn't going to overtly push gun confiscation, but he will play the reluctant rescuer when when of his minions in the Party push too hard, too fast. Its been his MO all along to let his surrogates do the dirty work when it comes to changing the fundamental character of our country.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:25:18 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
I was thinking about Joining SCOPE, but not so sure after talking with their VP.  Any experience with the NYSRPA?

i haven't dealt with scope, but i like the nysrpa.  they work closely with the nra, but keep their focus on ny issues.  they also sponser different shooting events,safety, and youth groups in my area, including a free bb gun shooting booth at the county fair.

here is an excerpt from their current endevour:

NYSRPA, in co-operation with the NRA, are having the Cuomo law reviewed by a highly qualified legal team.  We ask that no other 3rd party legal action be taken without prior consultation.  We realize that this law impacts a large number of people, but a proper legal review will take some time.  NYSRPA/NRA will be filing a Notice of Claim prior to submitting a brief on the merits of the constitutionality of the new gun law.  Involved in the lawsuit will be two of the nations best 2nd Amendment attorneys.  This is a very important proceeding and must be handled properly with the best lawyers.  We will not win without support from gun owners.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »

Yeeeaaaaa....

In Missouri, that legislation is laughable.

However, I am becoming increasingly concerned that the current administration really does want to bait some fringe case nut jobs into a few high profile assassination attempts.  It would further the agenda - anything that could be labeled as true domestic terrorism would be a reasonably palatable reason for a sweeping power grab against a variety of civil rights.   =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
anything that could be labeled as true domestic terrorism

For instance, the fed.gov  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
i haven't dealt with scope, but i like the nysrpa.  they work closely with the nra, but keep their focus on ny issues.  they also sponser different shooting events,safety, and youth groups in my area, including a free bb gun shooting booth at the county fair.

here is an excerpt from their current endevour:

NYSRPA, in co-operation with the NRA, are having the Cuomo law reviewed by a highly qualified legal team.  We ask that no other 3rd party legal action be taken without prior consultation.  We realize that this law impacts a large number of people, but a proper legal review will take some time.  NYSRPA/NRA will be filing a Notice of Claim prior to submitting a brief on the merits of the constitutionality of the new gun law.  Involved in the lawsuit will be two of the nations best 2nd Amendment attorneys.  This is a very important proceeding and must be handled properly with the best lawyers.  We will not win without support from gun owners.

The gall.

The NRA tried this horse-$#!+ with Heller.  Thank $deity that Cato ignored that.  Or we wouldn't have the Heller decision.  Or McDonald.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »

Wonder if it'd break any fed laws to refuse to honor any NY firearms convictions that would be legal in PA, and refuse to extradite anyone falling under that category to NY?  Not that NY could really dispute the matter. If it comes down to it, Pennsylvania has significantly more ground troops than NY.  ;)

PSP vs NYPD would be interesting. PSP are used to long range and rural operations, which NYPD totally lack. PSP have some urban training, but probably not nearly as much as the NYPD. Basically, both sides have a huge home turf advantage.

Reality is, I hope the whole thing is thrown out by the Supreme Court before anyone does anything stupid.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
Wonder if it'd break any fed laws to refuse to honor any NY firearms convictions that would be legal in PA, and refuse to extradite anyone falling under that category to NY?  

Probably.

US Constitution
Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:
A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

and,

18 USC § 3182

Whenever the executive authority of any State or Territory demands any person as a fugitive from justice, of the executive authority of any State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled, and produces a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, charging the person demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the State or Territory from whence the person so charged has fled, the executive authority of the State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled shall cause him to be arrested and secured, and notify the executive authority making such demand, or the agent of such authority appointed to receive the fugitive, and shall cause the fugitive to be delivered to such agent when he shall appear. If no such agent appears within thirty days from the time of the arrest, the prisoner may be discharged.

Federal courts can enforce these and I believe that they can only be refused in narrow circumstances.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
Probably.

US Constitution
Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:
A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

(snip)

Federal courts can enforce these and I believe that they can only be refused in narrow circumstances.

Which brings to question, what if it's not a crime in the one state (and actually a protected right) and is in the other state? Closest I can thing is slavery. Were northern states mandated to deport escaped slaves? I'd expect normally under those circumstances, a contested extradition between states goes to federal court. Assuming you don't have judges that ignore the law, NY's law blatantly violates Heller and McDonald.

I'm curious how the process would go...  Or rather, likely how WILL it go.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »
Which brings to question, what if it's not a crime in the one state (and actually a protected right) and is in the other state? Closest I can thing is slavery. Were northern states mandated to deport escaped slaves? I'd expect normally under those circumstances, a contested extradition between states goes to federal court. Assuming you don't have judges that ignore the law, NY's law blatantly violates Heller and McDonald.

I think Dred Scott addressed this.  IIRC, yes, the free states were required to return the "property" (gag) that had escaped from slavery.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
I think Dred Scott addressed this.  IIRC, yes, the free states were required to return the "property" (gag) that had escaped from slavery.

If I correctly recall, the Constitution actually addressed it. And not in favor of the escaped slave. On my phone right now. Here's something:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive_Slave_Clause

It was also a contentious issue in the Compromise of 1850.
 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compromise_of_1850

Legally, they had to be returned, but the law was often ignored.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
A particular prescient post in the comments section:

"I believe they want people to rise up. They passed this in one area of the Country so the people will rise up and give them a reason to declare martial law! The rest of the Country needs to stand up along with New York! We cannot let them use New York to teach us all a 'lesson'! If one goes down the rest will follow!"

In any other time in the recent era, that comment would be all tin-foil hattery, not so much anymore.

Obama isn't going to overtly push gun confiscation, but he will play the reluctant rescuer when when of his minions in the Party push too hard, too fast. Its been his MO all along to let his surrogates do the dirty work when it comes to changing the fundamental character of our country.

Not the first time, huh?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »

This is way outside of my area and I am trying to remember back when I had to study this stuff.  IIRC, it doesn't matter if it not a crime in the state being asked to give up the person.  A state that wants a fugitive back makes a request to the governor's office of the state where the person fled.  If they governor refuses, then the state has to file an action in federal district court.  From what I could tell, there are only limited circumstances that can be used to refuse, such as if they are already serving time or there is something wrong with the paperwork.  Up until 1987, federal courts did not have the power to enforce extradition requests and governors could just refuse. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.