Author Topic: Gold and Silver registration in IL  (Read 3144 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Gold and Silver registration in IL
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
http://www.thedailybell.com/28559/Gold-and-Silver-Registration-in-Illinois

A bill to register gold and silver coins: It had to come. It has been introduced in Illinois, the most anti-gun state in the USA. ... Creates the Precious Metal Purchasing Act. Provides that a person who is in the business of purchasing precious metal shall obtain a proof of ownership, create a record of the sale, and verify the identity of the seller. Provides that a person who is in the business of purchasing precious metal shall not pay for the precious metal in cash and shall record the method of payment. Requires the purchaser to keep a record of the sale for one year or, if the purchase amount is over $500, for 5 years. Provides that a person who violates the Act is guilty of a petty offense and subject to a fine not exceeding $500. Provides that the Attorney General may inspect records, investigate an alleged violation, and take action to collect civil penalties.

IL senate bill SB3144.

Obama's test-run in his home utopia of Chi-town/IL, prior to pushing for it at a fed level?

Superficially, it appears to apply to those "we buy gold" places.  To discourage home burglars and the like from snatching up jewelry and selling it for cash at raw gold smelters.

Applicability to the precious metals and numismatic markets?  I dunno.  There's several good PM merchants here in PHX that will either buy or sell at spot +/- a small amount.  And they'll buy in cash, which I like.  And they'll sell for cash, which I like.  Heck, one of them will trade PM's for bitcoin and vice-versa.  Very anonymous.

This bill could interfere with that (at least in IL).  If I buy PM's with my post tax income and they "appreciate" (the notion of PM's appreciating in value makes me laugh when it's really inflation making money worth less), I don't want to get a check when/if I sell them back elsewhere.  With a check, I have to cash it.  If I ever get audited, I have to explain that check.  I buy my PM's cash and don't keep receipts. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Gold and Silver registration in IL
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
Superficially, it appears to apply to those "we buy gold" places.  To discourage home burglars and the like from snatching up jewelry and selling it for cash at raw gold smelters.

Which will work about as well as restricting cold medicine has worked or requiring scrappers to obey new laws concerning customers...which means it won't work at all to restrict criminal activity...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
It is almost as if in order to become a legislator in Illinois you are required to read all the novels describing dystopias and then you must promise to implement those ideas into law.  :facepalm: 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
A remember about a year ago, I saw a documentary on the NatGeo channel about gold mining and the gold trade.  It was an overall interesting show.  However, nearly every scene ended with some kind of voiceover with the message that "gold gets melted down all the time, and then it's untraceable!!!!"   :facepalm:

Locking down precious metals and other personally-held wealth seems to be on the "to-do" list for the powers that be.  

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:17:12 PM »
I don't see this law as working on a realistic basis.  So why are they bothering?  You can melt gold down and it just becomes a lump of gold.  So I guess there will be "good gold" as sold by the government and "bad" gold that is sold elsewhere.  Sounds like a reason to track people that cast their own bullets.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »

Precisely.  This just makes it easier to enforce...just like any other sort of registration.  (Or my favorite new term "database")

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
I know there are plenty of businesses that won't accept cash.  Is a law that says cash can't be used a constitutional law?  Is the phrase, "For all debts, public and private" just for show? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
I know there are plenty of businesses that won't accept cash.  Is a law that says cash can't be used a constitutional law?  Is the phrase, "For all debts, public and private" just for show? 

I have had places refuse cash, starting with an apartment deposit about 12 years ago, so I guess it is just for show.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
Many places refuse tender over $20 (ie no $50 or $100 bills).

I don't know what the law states re: using legal currency.  However, if terms of purchase are stated up front, how can it be wrong?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
Some businesses refuse cash because of the potential for stealing.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:45:47 PM »

I don't know what the law states re: using legal currency.  However, if terms of purchase are stated up front, how can it be wrong?
Some businesses refuse cash because of the potential for stealing.
I have had places refuse cash, starting with an apartment deposit about 12 years ago, so I guess it is just for show.

Yeah, I understand that some companies choose to do business that way. I wrote that in my post.

I am asking about laws that prohibit a person and/or a company from using cash.  Regardless of the legality, the idea that the US government would prevent a person from using US cash in a legal business is very strange to me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »
Ah.
I've spent some silver certificates (no, they weren't valuable ones) at the gas station without so much as an odd look.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
Ah.
I've spent some silver certificates (no, they weren't valuable ones) at the gas station without so much as an odd look.
I thought all silver certificates had a collector's value at least slightly above face, even in circulated condition . . . .

Hmmm . . . could get sticky. If you offer to pay in legal tender US currency and they refuse payment, I can see an argument made that the good/service you obtained is a gift, especially if it's something already consumed (gasoline, food) and you weren't informed of the policy up front.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:02:28 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »

Hmmm . . . could get sticky. If you offer to pay in legal tender US currency and they refuse payment, I can see an argument made that the good/service you obtained is a gift, especially if it's something already consumed (gasoline, food) and you weren't informed of the policy up front.

In private transactions, people may set terms for the contract.  If either side doesn't like the format of payment they can refuse to enter into a business agreement.

The key word here is "debt" in that whole "legal tender for all debts, public and private."

You have no debt to the 7-11 clerk for your Red Bull.  So he doesn't have to take your $100 bill if he doesn't want to.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
. . . You have no debt to the 7-11 clerk for your Red Bull.  So he doesn't have to take your $100 bill if he doesn't want to.
Which is why I mentioned an item "already consumed." Agree that you can't walk out with a can of Red Bull the clerk refuses to sell to you unless you give him the denomination he wants, but if you've already eaten a meal at a restaurant and THEN they refuse payment after failing to inform you of their policy beforehand, that's where things can get dicey.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
I thought all silver certificates had a collector's value at least slightly above face, even in circulated condition . . . .

Slightly, yeah.
JD

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

For all debts, not all purchases. If you are trying to pay a debt, you can pay in cash. There however is no requirement for buying things in cash.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Most convenience stores I see will accept large bills, but have a limited amount of small bills to give in change so you have to buy a lot of stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
I think they are making way for the great werewolf invasion. Think about it.  [tinfoil]

[popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic