Author Topic: Bicyclist charged with vehicular manslaughter in California  (Read 2209 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bicyclist charged with vehicular manslaughter in California
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/03/sf-bicyclist-to-be-tried-for-gross-vehicular-manslaughter.html

As someone who drives cars, motorcycles and bicycles, I approve of this charge.  Sounds like criminally reckless behavior on the part of the bicyclist.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Bicyclist charged with vehicular manslaughter in California
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
We've got a fair number of cyclist idiots on campus.  They seem to think the rules of the road (and sometimes even the laws of physics) don't apply to them.  It's a miracle we don't scrape a couple of them off the street every week.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
We've got a fair number of cyclist idiots on campus.  They seem to think the rules of the road (and sometimes even the laws of physics) don't apply to them.  It's a miracle we don't scrape a couple of them off the street every week.

Brad

theres an ugly story of a coach who impaled himself on a gate while riding
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
Had he been on a motorcycle or in a little SmartCar, this would not be an argument.  Good decision.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
Per http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/san-francisco-cyclist-charged-with-manslaughter.html?_r=0

The guy was going around 35mph, was going too fast as he came up to a traffic light, and chose to aim for the least dense group of pedestrians.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
When I worked for a beverage delivery company, we had an account with UW and delivered to their campus. Aside from a really annoying loading dock, they also had lots of morons on bikes. I had a girl ride into the side of my truck once, and so did one of the other drivers.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
When I worked for a beverage delivery company, we had an account with UW and delivered to their campus. Aside from a really annoying loading dock, they also had lots of morons on bikes. I had a girl ride into the side of my truck once, and so did one of the other drivers.
Last time I was in NYC I saw a bike messenger blow through a red light - narrowly missing some pedestrians crossing the street - turn the corner, and run head-on into the back of a large delivery truck.

Truck simply drove off.

A few pedestrians (particularly those he'd almost hit) directed some choice comments at the biker, and expressed satisfaction at his ruined bike.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

G_P

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
This needs to happen more often. (not the pedestrian death but the prosecution of the cyclist for breaking motor vehicle laws)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
This needs to happen more often. (not the pedestrian death but the prosecution of the cyclist for breaking motor vehicle laws an ahole for causing injury or death to another)

FTFY
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
Should have let the cyclist go free since he was saving the planet by not driving a car.

Who needs old white men, anyway?

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
Who needs old white men, anyway?

=D
"Sutchi Hui" doesn't sound particularly white.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
Per http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/san-francisco-cyclist-charged-with-manslaughter.html?_r=0

The guy was going around 35mph, was going too fast as he came up to a traffic light, and chose to aim for the least dense group of pedestrians.

Nothing exculpatory there.  Nothing even mitigating that I can see.  If Bucchere admits to that post or it can be proven his, I'd be surprised if the matter goes to trial.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!