Author Topic: Old audio media identification  (Read 2950 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Old audio media identification
« on: September 03, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »
OK, need some help.  I got a bunch of old audio reels, but don't know what the name for them is.  They are on clear plastic reels, some are about 5", some are about 7".  The material looks like casette tape tape, but maybe a bit wider (don't have any casette tapes to compare it to).

They came from the campus radio station, who was tossing them out.  Me and some buddies have a whole trash bin full of them now.  Mostly junk, but some that look interesting.  Some metal promos, an Elvis promo, Nixon resignation, a Queen interview, etc.

Next question, anyone know where I can find an affordable player for these?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:36:49 AM »
Jefnvk,

It sounds like you have 1/4 inch reel-to-reel format tapes.  The term "tape recorder" generically refers to this format and the machines that play and record it.  Reel-to-reel machines are still available and still being manufactured, but they are not as common as they once were in this digital world.
Do a Google search on "reel-to-reel".  It should turn something up.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 09:53:24 AM »
Rocket Man's right.  It's reel-to-reel.
Probably can pick up a player on eBay.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:55:20 PM »
Thanks, that is what it is.

Players are a bit more than I care to spend to find out if these reels are mislabeled though.  Have to keep checking out the junk stores and garage sales.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »
Make sure you hit the local goodwill and salvation army thrift stores. That may be your best bet to pick up a player.

bob

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
Also check out local TV/stereo repair shops. We have one in our area that takes old stereo equipment like Reel2Reel or turntables and fixes them up for audiophiles that collect the old equipment. Ebay, thrift stores, or pawn shops are your best bet.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »
Ha Ha Ha, it's funny to read about a young critter that didn't know what a reel to reel tape was.  See if you can find a Teac A-170 player.  Course you'll need to hook it up to speakers and an amplifier first.  Ha Ha Ha.
  (Sorry, it's just so much fun getting older and watching youngsters puzzled by things that were as normal as breathing to me.  Sort of like watching young business managers having awesome "new" ways of doing things)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 04:50:58 AM »
The fun part is editing the tape...  Some odd reason with all the digital styles of editing, I was taught how to edit reel to reel tape in my undergraduate classes in the 90's

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 06:54:49 AM »
C'mon, gramps, I have seen them before.  Just never really knew what they were called until I actually had to look for a player.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 07:04:15 AM »
I've seen dinasaur bones in the museum, too.  heh heh.  Just funnin' ya, kiddo.  You started my day out with a smile.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 08:03:59 AM »
Could have fooled me, I thought you lived with the dinosaurs Tongue

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »
Touche'

onions!

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 11:52:33 AM »
My Stepdad #2 introduced me to reel to reels w/Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-da-Vida.Flippin awesome.

I don't think that there's another audio component that has as much style as a reel to reel player.It's not just a black lump w/blinking lights.

Just my opinion.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Ha Ha Ha, it's funny to read about a young critter that didn't know what a reel to reel tape was.
I have the same kind of fun explaining LPs or 8-track tapes to people. They just look at you like you're from another planet.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »
Hey Garrett,  Know what a 45 is.  Not 1911 or APC.  heh.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 06:06:10 PM »
Hey Garrett,  Know what a 45 is.  Not 1911 or APC.  heh.
Oh yeah. Still remember when you could by them at the five & dime for less than a buck. Bought three of them one time and they gave me a Dr. Hook promo 45 for free. I still have them in a box at my parents.