Author Topic: Quandary  (Read 2005 times)

Paddy

Quandary
« on: September 04, 2005, 11:49:54 AM »
My father passed away earlier this year.  Among Dad's belongings was a Model 1894 Winchester 30-30, SN 336XXX indicating it was made around 1906.  Dad had a lifelong friend, we'll call him Fred.  They'd known each other since they were young men.  Dad was 87, Fred is around 90.   Apparently, Fred gave Dad the Winchester years ago, and Fred wants it back.

Fred started calling me about 2 years ago, when Dad was in the nursing home.  He even drove up to visit him once.  I asked Dad if he wanted me to return the rifle to Fred and Dad said no.  He couldn't remember, but thought Fred gave him the rifle for some money he owed.  I don't think this is likely, Fred is a millionaire probably a couple times over.

Anyway, Fred keeps calling me and the theme is the same.  What good friends he and Dad were, how much Dad helped him get his business started many years ago, and can he have the rifle back.  Fred has no heirs and mentions that he's leaving everything to Children's Hospital and Shriners.

When Fred called this morning, I told him the rifle is part of the estate, and I would sell it to him if we could agree on a price.  I think it's worth between $400-$700.  Fred has never said WHY he wants the rifle.  I don't know if it has some sentimental value to him or what, or if he's just fenagling.

I don't know why this is bothering me so much.  I don't want to deprive Fred of the rifle if it is really important to him, but I don't want to just give it to him on a whim either.

Any suggestions?

Preacherman

Quandary
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 01:12:11 PM »
I'd suggest that unless the rifle is important to you for sentimental reasons, you should let Fred have it.  It's obviously important to him.  As for its value - is the estate relatively cash-poor, or of low value?  If so, by all means sell it to him.  On the other hand, if the estate is relatively valuable, why not give it to him and make an old man happy?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

grampster

• friend
Quandary
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 02:32:51 PM »
I agree with the padre.  And then ask him if he'd like to go shoot it a few times and have a little fun.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
Quandary
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:08:46 AM »
Meh, just give it to him.  It's just a thing, and things are rarely all that important.

Quandary
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:26 AM »
Since he is so old and hospitals don't need rifles, have an attorney draw up an agreement in which Fred keeps the gun until his death and then it reverts to whomever it would go according to the will.

Paddy

Quandary
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 12:15:43 PM »
After looking around some more, I think it may be worth as much as $1000.  It was made in 1905. I'm inclined to just give it to him.  He wants me to send it on the Greyhound bus, but I don't think they'll take it.  It probably has to go through an FFL, or he could send someone up here to pick it up.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Quandary
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 12:28:56 PM »
OK...
I'm going to buck the trend.

Your DAD said he got the rifle in lieu of a monetary debt. Regardless of Fred's current status he admitted your DAD helped him get his business (I presume which is from whence his millions derived) started. Who ya gonna believe - your dad or Fred?

If Fred didn't pay a debt with the rifle then what proof is there that it was anything other than a gift? It's yours not Fred's. And besides 90 year old guys memories aren't all that great so there's no guarantee that even if he believes what he says that it's true.

Your Dad's rifle. Now Your rifle. KEEP IT!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Ric Allen

Quandary
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 02:20:06 PM »
The best things in life.....aren't things

unless you want it for some special reason let him have it. Maybe he will leave it to you in instead of the charities.

Paddy

Quandary
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 02:33:23 PM »
Werewolf, you make perfect sense.  That's the mindset I've had since Fred started asking me for the rifle. Dad's memory wasn't too good at the end, either, so I have no idea why Fred gave him the rifle.  Maybe I should sell it to him.  He did offer to pay for it once, now he wants me to just give it to him.

D-Ric- yeah, I thought of that. heh.

grampster

• friend
Quandary
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »
Why don't you tell him what your dad said to you regarding the rifle.  Tell him it has meaning to you as well.  Then just flat ask him why he wants it back.   What heavenly purpose would a 90 year old want with that rifle?  Especially since he seems to be giving all his worldly possessions to charities when he passes.

It is possible that being that he is a very wealthy man, he is more than likely an opportunist and is just doing what comes natural?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HForrest

Quandary
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »
I'm going to agree with Werewolf... the guy's 90, so why does he need his rifle back?

At the very least, I think you should definitely ask him WHY he wants it back... decide for yourself based oh his answer.