Author Topic: "Rev" Jesse Jackson calls for 9/11-style victim relief fund  (Read 1735 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

"Rev" Jesse Jackson calls for 9/11-style victim relief fund
« on: September 04, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »
...citing the compensation paid to the families of victims of 9/11, I'm sitting here watching the "Reverend" Jesse Jacksonnnnnn, live on PMSNBC, call for compensation to the New Orleans victims of Hurricane Katrina in like manner.

Pardon me while I puke. But I mentioned this to several folks about 3 days ago, and said "mark my words".

He's making reference, saying the survivors are like "oppressed masses, huddled in the belly of a slave ship..." (HIS words). Gag me.

Anybody actually agree that we should provide government compensation to all who were somehow inconvenienced by this?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 02:24:31 PM »
I fully agree with you. While it is tragic that so many died or lost their homes and businesses, we can't afford to give out large "settlements" every time there is any kind of disaster, in addition to the billions (trillions?) we will be spending to rebuild a city (most likely in the same hole in the water).
It's like them winning a lawsuit (with the rest of the us being the defendents), without having to go to court (since you can't sue G-d or Mother Nature).
When they did that after 9/11 I thought they were setting a really bad precedent. Turns out I was right.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 02:30:51 PM »
Immediate relief is appropriate, but long-term governmental compensation?  

No.  Agreed, it is a very problematic precedent...
To the stars!

matis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 03:45:19 PM »
Did he mean that we should compensate these "oppressed" victims for their Katrina losses only?

Or should we include their reparations for slavery in the same check?

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »
matis,
My take on it is that he was creating an artificial connection between the blow that Katrina struck (so selectively upon the poor and downtrodden), and the un-compensated injustices of slavery, in order to strengthen the argument that it's time to finally "Show Us the MONEY".  Reprehensible, IMO.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »
[AMAZEMENT] Jackson wants money? [/AMAZEMENT]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.