Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 576 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The Rolling Stones
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
My thread on Bob Dylan got me to thinking about my all-time favorite group, The Stones.

My best friend and I have followed them around the midwest on just about every tour for the last 35 or so years.

The first show we saw was in Indianapolis on the "Sticky Fingers" tour. Stevie Wonder was the opening act.

When Stevie Wonder finished, there was a lull. Then all of the house lights were turned off. I could hear some activity on the stage, but that was it.

Then I heard the first two chords from "Brown Sugar," and a spotlight lit up Jagger running in from stage right. The rest of the stage lights came up, and it was pandomonium after that.

Definitely the best concert I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds, if not more.

There was the period in 1967 or so when I really thought their music sucked. "2000 Light Years From Home" bored me to tears.

Then, in the summer of 1968, I heard "Jumpin' Jack Flash" on the radio, and knew the Stones were back.

The signing of Mick Taylor to the band produced some of the best guitar work the group had ever done. "Sticky Fingers" was probably the most sophisticated album they've ever done. (I can listen to the sax/guitar finale to "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" a hundred times, and still marvel at the silkiness of it).

In 1975, they played at the county stadium in Milwaukee. I was just beginning as a photographer, and got up as close to the stage as I could. I got off hundreds of shots with a 300mm lens. There were some great shots in that batch but, sadly, the negatives have now faded to the point where there's almost nothing left.

Also in 1975, Springsteen arrived on the scene, and Rolling Stone magazine commented that he was a better performer than the Stones.

The Stones responded by going theatrical, with enormous backdrops of pyrotechnics, inflatable dolls, and other goofy stuff.

Still, the music was good. I got eighth-row seats at the Rosemont Horizon in Illinois for the "Steel Wheels" tour. Their performance of "Start Me Up" had me standing on my chair. (Apparently Bill Gates liked it, too).

A few years ago, they abandoned the lavish sets, and went back to what they do best: playing their songs, especially their classics.

The last show I saw was almost exactly a year ago here in Milwaukee, and it was really one of their best ever. It's hard to believe that they can still crank out the tunes at their age.

One of the highlights of the concert was when Buddy Guy came on to join them in "(Night Time Is) The Right Time," with a black female vocalist just belting out the lyrics with such a voice that an amplifier wasn't necessary for her.

I read not long ago that, over the years, the Rolling Stones have generated some $30 billion in ticket sales, album sales, and sales of t-shirts and such. So, I don't think they're doing all this for the money.

Don't know how long they'll be able to keep doing it but, as long as they do, I'll be listening.

The Rolling Stones
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »
Smiley

Thank you.  So much shared in your post, all I will share is my thanks.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The Rolling Stones
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:04 PM »
sm, I guess it's just you and me on this thread.

I have about five years on you in age, which doesn't qualify me to say that I know more than you do. Just that I saw some things at an earlier time than you or some other folks.

The Stones have tried to do over a period of some forty+ years what a few white singers were only able to do in just one or two songs: fuse the music of the classic black blues artists into a sound that appealed to a largely white audience.

On their earliest albums, they were able to do this because white-bread kids like me hadn't ever listened to Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, or others.

When the old blues material ran out, the Stones were forced to write their own songs. And, for a few years, they did so with remarkable ability.

After "Exile on Main Street," though, it seemed like Mick Jagger was desperately trying to become black. (Too bad he couldn't have just traded places with Michael Jackson).

After "Exile," it seemed that the albums were hit-or-miss. There might be one good song from an entire album, and the rest was destined to that rock 'n roll junkyard.

When I saw the video for "Angie," with Jagger wearing that silly Tom Sawyer hat, I knew things were headed downhill.

Still, there were some bright spots.

Mick Jagger, for all that has been said--good or bad--about him, is a person of very strong self-control. He did the drugs, but he never allowed himself to reach the abyss that Brian Jones did. He's also a very astute businessman. And he laughs easily, a quality I've always admired in a person.

Keith Richards. Don't know. He was my hero for many years. Maybe just because he started out looking more geeky than I did.

Charlie Watts. Looking back, he was the coolest of the group. He was the most comfortable within himself of any of them. His shyness was more reticence than shy; if he had something to say, he said it. And he seems to be the one who has aged with the most grace and acceptance. When the Stones come to Milwaukee, he heads off to our great art museum.

Bill Wyman. Definitely the most desperate for attention and adulation. He was the consumate outsider, always seeking approval. He was also the one who slept with the most groupies. Or, as better-known public speakers have said before, "I repeat myself."

Ron Wood. If I were to rate him as a guitarist, he'd probably rank somewhere around a 7 or an 8, along with Keith Richards. His absolute blasting guitar intro in Rod Stewart's "Stay With Me" shook me to my bones, though.

But it's 2006, and the shag haircuts are gone. Lose it, Ron.

One of my all-time favorite movies is "Goodfellas." And one reason that it's a favorite is that Scorsese and his crew did a fabulous job of pegging the music to the year the scene was meant to portray.

I know I've been doing a lot of reminiscing the last month or two, and maybe it irritates some APS members. Don't know why I'm doing it, just that I need to, for reasons that are my own.

But, the thing with music is that I can remember where I was. The Cuban Missile Crisis. The assasination of JFK, MLK, or Bobby Kennedy. The Manson murders.

Whatever the event, there was a song that went with it. Sometimes the song was the wrong song for the time, but that's how I remember things.

It's also how I remember particularly significant times in my own life. When my then-girlfriend (and now wife) left me for another guy. The Stones played a big part in my attitude then.

My wife's sister and her husband embarked last year on their own business. And they're going like gangbusters. He'll be a millionaire--or better--by the time he hits 55.

But he doesn't like music. He doesn't know music.

The only thing I can think of worse than not loving music is to be blind.

The Rolling Stones
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
Dick,

I understand, I really do. I do appreciate your sharing.  I will start another thread. Oh, and please call me Steve

Steve