Author Topic: Recommendations for a gun smithing tool kit for AR15 builds  (Read 829 times)

motojim515

*Warning discussion about weapons, please have fainting couches ready for some*

I am starting to build an AR15 platform. While i have a decent set of tools for mainly working on motorcycles and cars, I am wondering what specialty tools would be useful for building a rifle.
I was watching a video showing how to build out a stripped lower and they had a block held in a vice that fit nicely in the magazine space. Also a 5/16 punch, pivot pin install tool, etc... Brownells has a Critical Tools Kit for $90 https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/gunsmithing-tool-kits/ar-15-m16-critical-tools-kit-prod41214.aspx .

Does this cover the bases for a starter?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Recommendations for a gun smithing tool kit for AR15 builds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure anyone who needed fainting couches for gun discussions around here left long ago. The "armed" part of the title isn't exactly metephorical...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

motojim515

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
 =D
 [ar15]

And not that I have any firearms. They happened to fall into a lake recently. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »
Are you just building out a stripped lower or building uppers as well?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »
A set of roll pin punches are great, and some type of tape to protect you from scratching up the body. Didn't feel that a pivot pin install tool was necessary when I built mine.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:15 PM »
I've put them together with a set of straight pin punches and a hammer with rubber and plastic strikes. I have a block of nylon on the bench for driving pins etc. it's not hard.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 12:35:02 AM »
I personally like vise grips with tape-padded jaws for driving roll pins.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:31:29 AM »
For a lower?

Pin Punch set, vise grips, electrical tape, hammer and a cold chisel.

Pin punch set for the pins. Electrical tape wrapped vise grips for the trigger guard and bolt hold open pin, and cold chisel tomstake the castle nut (if you have a collapsible stock.)

There are fancier tools (vise blocks, specialized punches and spanners) but they aren't really worth the cost unless you are doing more than one.

If you are going to do a bunch and/or uppers, then a vise block and armorer's wrench start to look good. If you see yourself swapping barrels I like the reaction rod style of holding.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
^ "If you are going to do a bunch and/or uppers, then a vise block and armorer's wrench start to look good. If you see yourself swapping barrels I like the reaction rod style of holding."

A "bunch?"  Isn't it hard to justify self-building a "bunch" of them?  Seems to me that implies intent to sell.

And what's an armorer's wrench?  Is that specific for the AR-style barrels?

Can't be too difficult to put one together from 80% since I saw a photo once of a lower made out of wood.

Which I guess would be a 0% lower build. :)

While bluestarlizzard is correct (Reply # 1) about the fainting couch, I point out that "clutching your pearls" is another gasping OMG phenomenon I have noticed among the effete city-dwelling folks when GUH-UHNs :O are mentioned:

Terry

Found it.  At least I think it was for an AR.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:09:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
^ "If you are going to do a bunch and/or uppers, then a vise block and armorer's wrench start to look good. If you see yourself swapping barrels I like the reaction rod style of holding."

A "bunch?"  Isn't it hard to justify self-building a "bunch" of them?  Seems to me that implies intent to sell.

Nope.  I can justify a lot.  I have 8 AR lowers right now, 5 of which were 80% and the other 3 I bought as stripped lowers, so I have a more complete tool kit.  I'll probably do another couple in the next couple years, as I see new AR configurations that strike my fancy.  None are for sale.

And what's an armorer's wrench?  Is that specific for the AR-style barrels?

It's an AR specific multi tool.  It will tighten mil-spec barrel nuts, castle nuts, flat head grip screws other stuff depending on which one you get.  Several variations are made.  They tend to look like this: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/ar-15-armorer-s-wrench-prod80294.aspx

Can't be too difficult to put one together from 80% since I saw a photo once of a lower made out of wood.

Which I guess would be a 0% lower build. :)

It's not.  it takes about 15 min to put a lower parts kit in a lower, just with the tools I mentioned at the start.  Upper assembly is a little more difficult, but not a ton.

There's also a lower kit out there made of pieces of flat bar stock that can be welded together. They look very post-apocalyptic when completed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 09:07:06 AM »
Is there an tool that makes it easier to put in the forward take down pin with less risk of sending springs flying across the room?  That always seems to be what I have trouble with.  Occasionally I see the spare parts/spring replacement kits for sale cheap.  They good to have available.  

I didn't have a roll pin punch set until recently and that would have helped with the pins.  Electrical tape seems to work well if you want to cover up something.  It also makes a good base to set the receiver on.  Been a bit since I put one together, but I still have one or two I never assembled.  Take extra care and take your time.  No one needs extra scratches. 

I would also recommend getting a parts kit without the trigger.  Just buy one of the upgraded triggers from the start.  Even the cheaper replacement triggers are a big improvement.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
Is there an tool that makes it easier to put in the forward take down pin with less risk of sending springs flying across the room?  That always seems to be what I have trouble with.  Occasionally I see the spare parts/spring replacement kits for sale cheap.  They good to have available.  

There is.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/ar-15-pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx

I don't have one, as I got the technique for installing them down pretty quick, but I know folks that really like them.

Basically you put the installer in the pivot pin hole from the left side of the receiver, drop the spring and detent through the hole in the installer and rotate it 90* so it retains them.  Then you push the installer out with the pivot pin and it catches the detent.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »
Is there an tool that makes it easier to put in the forward take down pin with less risk of sending springs flying across the room?  That always seems to be what I have trouble with.

I've always just used a 1/4" clevis pin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DrFEDw3ow
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

motojim515

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
Are you just building out a stripped lower or building uppers as well?

I am building an upper and lower. The full gun. Or as it identifies itself, "A three dimensional puzzle".

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
I am building an upper and lower. The full gun. Or as it identifies itself, "A three dimensional puzzle".

Then you will need a way to hold the upper and a barrel wrench that matches whichever barrel nut your handguard uses.  I like the Reaction Rod style because they hold the steel barrel extension rather than the aluminum upper receiver, but that is more of a concern taking off stuck barrel nuts then putting on new ones.  It also is better for indexing muzzle devices. Those are the real issue anyway.  There's not much torque on the barrel nut, and the range is huge, but if your tolerances stack the wrong way you can end up really reefing on the muzzle device for that last 10*.  The Army TM says to use a barrel vise (which is annoying if you have the gas tube in, and can mar the barrel).  The rod lets you use one tool for both operations.  There are cheaper knock-offs if you don't want to drop $100 on a fixture. Or you could borrow one.

Add an upper holding fixture and Armorer's Wrench to the aforementioned "Pin Punch set, vise grips, electrical tape, hammer and a cold chisel" and you should be fine.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:36:24 PM by dogmush »