Author Topic: Smart Locks  (Read 656 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Smart Locks
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
Is anyone using locks on their homes similar to the one at the link below? This one looks a bit more advanced than some I have seen for home use on Amazon etc. I couldn't find anything regarding the physical characteristics or lockpick proofness of this lock. I'm just curious as to how viable they are as protective locks versus the gee whiz factor.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goji-smart-lock
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Smart Locks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
That's really cool.

I notice they only show a picture of the mechanical key blank.  Wonder how tough a tumbler it is.

But I'd bet that it's tougher than most residential doors/jambs (an admittedly low threshold) so the defeat here is just to put a hooligan tool in the door and open it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
That's really cool.

I notice they only show a picture of the mechanical key blank.  Wonder how tough a tumbler it is.

But I'd bet that it's tougher than most residential doors/jambs (an admittedly low threshold) so the defeat here is just to put a hooligan tool in the door and open it.

I ended up installing the EZ Armor door frame reinforcement that Revdisk has recommended. If this tumbler is at all good, I really like this concept. If for nothing else than all those times I was 10 miles down the road thinking, "did I lock the damn door?"  :laugh:

I'm kinda interested in these high tech locks because I moved into a new office for work last week, and this is the first time I've resided in a Federal building with any 21st century tech. Our locks do a lot of the gee whiz stuff this one does, and are definitely break-in resistant. I'm one of the people with access to building lock programing, and there are some really cool features for various access programming and use tracking. Sadly, the lock system at work prevents me from locking my coworkers in their offices to prevent them from bugging me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
If for nothing else than all those times I was 10 miles down the road thinking, "did I lock the damn door?"  :laugh:

Will that work?  This thing is Bluetooth activated. What is the range?

Or is it the wifi connection that sends a text?  That makes more sense.

Speaking of wifi, I wonder how secure that connection is.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »
Will that work?  This thing is Bluetooth activated. What is the range?

Or is it the wifi connection that sends a text?  That makes more sense.

Speaking of wifi, I wonder how secure that connection is.

Doesn't specify, but I assume wifi. One of the listed features is "lock your door from anywhere in the world".

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
I'm kinda interested in these high tech locks because I moved into a new office for work last week, and this is the first time I've resided in a Federal building with any 21st century tech. Our locks do a lot of the gee whiz stuff this one does, and are definitely break-in resistant. I'm one of the people with access to building lock programing, and there are some really cool features for various access programming and use tracking. Sadly, the lock system at work prevents me from locking my coworkers in their offices to prevent them from bugging me.

Really?  The one at the Reserve Center I work at lets you lock down doors individually and lock out who can open them in groups or individuals.  I've been specifically banned from locking folks in their offices.  I pointed out that a fire alarm automatically unlocked the doors so there was no safety issue to no avail.

ETA: I like the "email your house sitter a time restricted electronic key" function of this.  That would be handy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »
Really?  The one at the Reserve Center I work at lets you lock down doors individually and lock out who can open them in groups or individuals.  I've been specifically banned from locking folks in their offices.  I pointed out that a fire alarm automatically unlocked the doors so there was no safety issue to no avail.

ETA: I like the "email your house sitter a time restricted electronic key" function of this.  That would be handy.

By "let me" I meant like you, I'm not allowed to. The function is there, however only a few inner offices and rooms actually have locks on them anyway (including mine, maybe I need to look at locking me in...). I can lock down the outer doors and the elevator.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Smart Locks
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 05:14:54 AM »
On a house you could mount an extra lock to engage the top jamb and threshold. Make force needed to breach greater

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I