Author Topic: The Obama Middle East Strategy  (Read 2554 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The Obama Middle East Strategy
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:55 AM »
Of all the things I loath about our current president his handling of the middle east is pretty far down the list of my grievances.

This article articulates to some degree my feelings on the subject.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/actually-obama-does-have-a-strategy-in-the-middle-east/379368/

So was Obama more dovish than Clinton or more hawkish? The answer is both. On the one hand, Obama has shown a deep reluctance to use military force to try to solve Middle Eastern problems that don’t directly threaten American lives. He’s proved more open to a diplomatic compromise over Iran’s nuclear program than many on Capitol Hill because he’s more reticent about going to war with Tehran. He’s been reluctant to arm Syria’s rebels or bomb Basher al-Assad because he doesn’t want to get sucked into that country’s civil war. After initially giving David Petraeus and company the yellow light to pursue an expanded counterinsurgency campaign in Afghanistan, he’s wound down America’s ground war against the Taliban. Even on Libya, he proved more reluctant to intervene than the leaders of Britain and France.

On the other hand, he’s proven ferocious about using military force to kill suspected terrorists. In Afghanistan and Pakistan, he’s basically adopted the policy Joe Biden proposed at the start of his administration: Don’t focus on fighting the Taliban on the ground, since they don’t really threaten the United States. Just bomb the hell out al-Qaeda from the air. Compared with George W. Bush, he’s dramatically expanded drone strikes, even though they’re unilateral, legally dubious, and morally disturbing. And, as promised, he sent special forces to kill Osama bin Laden without Pakistan’s permission, even though his vice president and secretary of defense feared the risks were too high.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: The Obama Middle East Strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
Ummmmm, he did arm the Syrian rebels.  That why Ambassador Chris Stevens was meeting with the Turkish ambassador in Benghazi.  To send "surplus" Libyan military hardware from Libya through Turkey to the Syrian rebels (aka ISIS).  Hence the CIA annex in Benghazi.

Benghazi makes Iran-Contra look like a kids lemonade stand operating without a city permit.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:44:37 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
Obama has a strategy  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
Yes! To play more golf.
His best strategy is to play a game with no strategy.
 Very Zen of him.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »
......So did George Armstrong Custer .......  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
The Atlantic piece is running interference for BHO and putting the best possible light on his actions.  Few of BHO's political opponents will read the Atlnatic and is 75% aimed at morale-boosting for his supporters, 25% at keeping left-moderate folk from bolting to the right.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
To be fair, not going along with the madness that Blair et al were banging on about - attacking Iran - is an achievement of sorts. 

Why he is determined not to "put boots on the ground" against ISIS is a mystery to me though, if you want to beat them then there will never be a better time to do it than now, whilst they are all playing at being an army.   
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
......So did George Armstrong Custer .......  [tinfoil]

Obama's strategy to "fundamentaly change America" seems to be working.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

Ill take "what is Obama playing with himself for $500".
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
To be fair, not going along with the madness that Blair et al were banging on about - attacking Iran - is an achievement of sorts. 

Why he is determined not to "put boots on the ground" against ISIS is a mystery to me though, if you want to beat them then there will never be a better time to do it than now, whilst they are all playing at being an army.   
Why do that when he was trying to arm them and want to fight with them in Syria? 

I notice no one ever talks about arming Christians over there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
Obama's strategy to "fundamentaly change America" seems to be working.
Correct. Sadly, many of his critics still think he actually wants to do what's best for America, but is simply inept.

. . . I notice no one ever talks about arming Christians over there. 
An astute observation - you're not quite alone in making it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
Well, I know we don't want to help the PKK too much since they are still marked a terrorist group and Turkey would not like that. I'm sure that a few very experienced boots are already on the ground. My worry is we will get some limited ground presence built up, but one without proper support. Even in the age of satellites and drones using air support as your only lifeline is iffy. I hope that whatever troops end up there have heavy weapons, armor, tube artillery and the free authorization to use them. Don't need the PR of a captured group of Americans, whether it is 4 or 100. Or rather since we see where capture leads, we don't need a "Crap, that's a lot of Indians" moment.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
Well, I know we don't want to help the PKK too much since they are still marked a terrorist group and Turkey would not like that. I'm sure that a few very experienced boots are already on the ground. My worry is we will get some limited ground presence built up, but one without proper support. Even in the age of satellites and drones using air support as your only lifeline is iffy. I hope that whatever troops end up there have heavy weapons, armor, tube artillery and the free authorization to use them. Don't need the PR of a captured group of Americans, whether it is 4 or 100. Or rather since we see where capture leads, we don't need a "Crap, that's a lot of Indians" moment.

Since when did we let them being a terrorist group stop us from helping them?  Look at ISIS/ISIL now, they were the rebel faction in Syria that we helped out. 

I think if we are going to put boots on the ground we will wind up killing a lot of civilians because just as soon as the first BDE or larger size element is on ground in force ISIS/ISIL will head for the hills and start attacking in 4-5 man teams and with the ROE that will be in place a lot of innocent people will be killed not counting our own people.

I don't want boots on the ground unless people are ready to see a scorched earth policy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Since when did we let them being a terrorist group stop us from helping them?  Look at ISIS/ISIL now, they were the rebel faction in Syria that we helped out. 

I think if we are going to put boots on the ground we will wind up killing a lot of civilians because just as soon as the first BDE or larger size element is on ground in force ISIS/ISIL will head for the hills and start attacking in 4-5 man teams and with the ROE that will be in place a lot of innocent people will be killed not counting our own people.

I don't want boots on the ground unless people are ready to see a scorched earth policy.
It would be a classic blunder  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 04:26:29 AM »
Ummmmm, he did arm the Syrian rebels.  That why Ambassador Chris Stevens was meeting with the Turkish ambassador in Benghazi.  To send "surplus" Libyan military hardware from Libya through Turkey to the Syrian rebels (aka ISIS).  Hence the CIA annex in Benghazi.

No.

The Syrian rebels that the USA armed are now fighting ISIS... and have been fighting ISIS for monthss:

Here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »
Ummm, yes.  From the link that you posted:

Initially the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) were fighting on the side of the moderates to oust Syrian President Bashar Assad in a conflict that began in March of 2011.

And from that bastion of conservative rumour mongering, the NY Times (do note the date):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/world/africa/in-a-turnabout-syria-rebels-get-libyan-weapons.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
This still doesn't bring up the conclusion that you are aiming at : that all the Syrian rebels are ISIS and that supporting any Syrian rebels = arming ISIS.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
This still doesn't bring up the conclusion that you are aiming at : that all the Syrian rebels are ISIS and that supporting any Syrian rebels = arming ISIS.

That's not what I said.  You have jumped to that conclusion.  ISIS (initially) were Syrian rebels, but not all Syrian rebels were ISIS.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.