Author Topic: US military assets in Europe; protecting Estonia and vulnerable NATO states  (Read 1151 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
I've read in several articles that Estonia could potentially be the next country Putin will invade since his Crimea escapade is going so well.

Is NATO enough of a firewall and/or do we have the military assets to uphold our commitments?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: US military assets in Europe; protecting Estonia and vulnerable NATO states
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
At the NATO summit that just concluded in Wales, they decided to create a NATO Quick Reaction Force for pretty much exactly this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Putin doesn't need to succeed with any of the invasions, he needs the crisis. If one succeeds and he gets a little of the USSR back, that's a bonus.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
He needs to push NATO in some way that makes member vacillate in response. A little Sudetenland action in the Baltics. If he can pick on a NATO member and not get an overwhelming Article 5 response then he won all the cookies, NATO is League of Nations done.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 03:03:29 AM »
From what I hear the ethnic Russians in the Baltic states are content to be where they are and ruled by the Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians.  Might be because those countries are not basket cases like Ukraine.

Anyways, Putin's moves are not for the benefit of the Russian diaspora, but for domestic consumption.

Last thing: the Baltic states are smaller than Ukraine, but their shinola is wired tight military-wise.  They are not like Ukraine's korrupt klown korps.  Russia has enough resources to ensure victory, but they'll pay a steep price for such a piddly country.  I seriously doubt Putin is dumb enough to risk real casualties to his own for such little gain.  There is still lower-hanging fruit in Ukraine.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
Ukraine is NOT a NATO member.

The Baltic states ARE NATO members.

Putin knows that invading an actual NATO member could cause the situation to rapidly spiral out of his control, despite the feckless current occupant of the White House.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
From what I hear the ethnic Russians in the Baltic states are content to be where they are and ruled by the Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians. 

True for Estonia and Lithuania, but not for Latvia.

There is a sizable number in Latvia who refused to accept Latvian citizenship and have no citizenship at all as the result. They like to complain about being unrepresented in government.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

agricola

• friend
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
There are probably 500 people the US, Germany, and England who would get a sense of schadenfreude if Lithuania were invaded...  people who had their jobs moved their by our megacorp. I'm luckily not one of them (yet) though. It gets taljed about a lot at work though.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
It's like it was a radio station in Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleiwitz_incident

Or a Marine in Mexico.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife