Author Topic: There is a conservative wave coming  (Read 4309 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: There is a conservative wave coming
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
I'm sorry you've reached my level of cynicism. It's probably the more accurate position to hold in relation to reality though, so there's that :D

I think a whole lot of us here have reached that level. For me anymore, it's all about flying low and staying under the radar.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:38 PM »
No longer do I trust the government or any of the media enough to sign off on sending someone off to a foreign country to potentially die. 

This is where I am now. Rescue missions, and other very limited things, sure. Fighting weird beards in Sandboxistan, no; the "leaders" are not to be trusted with that, right now.   

Unlike the liberal left I don't think our society will let people die of hunger if government isn't there with their so called safety net. I think we would rise to the occasion.

Unlike the liberal left, I know that their "cure" for poverty is worse than the disease. Let local governments/private orgs do that if they want, maybe let the states keep track of who's getting what aid from which locals. The Feds need to get out.

Politicians are not the answer.

The people, through their elected leaders and representatives, are the answer to a very limited set of questions.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:35 PM »
I think a whole lot of us here have reached that level. For me anymore, it's all about flying low and staying under the radar.

I'm going to drink my whiskey, hunt my birds and catch my fish, the rest of the world can go to hell. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
The Leave Me the Hell Alone Party is attractive.  Problem is we face a government that has clearly gone predator and will not leave you alone.  Hence the need to get active.  National parties claim to be different but when judged by actions they appear to be reflections of the other.  Parties at the local level may be easier to influence but there are no guarantees.  I live in the so-called "Most conservative state in the union".  It is actually the most republican state in the union and there are many scandals bubbling below the surface.  The most powerful politician in the state was suspended from his speakership because of campaign finance irregularities.  He successfully beat back a state grand jury indictment through his political gamesmanship but was indicted by a county grand jury on the same kind of charges which he evidently didn't know about.  So why not swing democrat?  Because those born-again republicans were democrats who simply turned coat when voters had had enough of their corruption.  It seems to me the best option is personal defiance in the face of all things political.  I trust me and no one else. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
There may well be a conservative wave in the offing but if you're relying on the Republican party to lead the way you will be severely disappointed.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.